Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411630 Posts in 69393 Topics- by 58447 Members - Latest Member: sinsofsven

May 12, 2024, 04:13:17 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingIce Prison of Phobos - First game!
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Ice Prison of Phobos - First game!  (Read 750 times)
Nulldorf
Level 0

View Profile
« on: March 18, 2013, 08:36:08 AM »

Dropbox Link: https://www.dropbox.com/s/rgpfc88hbwwlvid/Phobos-1.0.0.4.zip

My first game! I've worked on dozens and dozens of others peoples games, mostly on the publishing side. This is the first game I've ever made on my own. It's not much, but I'm really proud to have finished it.

Move with the WASD keys and fire with the arrow keys. You'll have to kill all enemies in the room before the doors open. See how long you can last! Difficulty scales up as you play.

Notes: I built this in the free version of GM:Studio so I was working within the limitations they provide. Hence the very small number of room types, etc. I'd love comments on the design, difficulty, fun-ness. Less interested in comments on the art because, well, clearly I'm not much of an artist. But hey, if you have something to say please say it.

This was a big learning experience for me and a lot of fun. I know it's far from perfect but I'm excited to carry what I learned into a next game as soon as I can. But first I'd love you feedback. Thanks!
TestTrek
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2013, 09:23:19 AM »

can you add a save system that stores and loads the players position? or add a health system because its so easy to die

One shotting monsters with my gun was fun. good work on that.
teknogames
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2013, 10:21:38 AM »

I like the controls, and collisions work well and smoothly. (something I never expect from first games)
It feels good to shoot monsters, unless you are too close to them, then it just looks like they disappear. Some sort of effect when they die would be a nice reward, and would provide reassurance that you got them.

I enjoyed the little screaming ghost walls. You may not call yourself an artist but those were pretty creative and cute. It was nice to see that an ice prison does not only contain normal boring ice bricks.

I first died by being shot by an Easter Island head. I didn't know they could shoot until one creamed me. He could use some sort of anticipation-- even if it's just his sprite flashing white a half second before he shoots.

On my second run I encountered the little purple snots. I've never been a fan of the lots-of-little-tiny-spawning-enemies. I hate them. I'd be fine with them if I wasn't forced to kill them before progressing.

What if sometimes enemies dropped a key that would allow you to pass the purple locked doors? A strategy could be to save the key up until you encounter the purple snots and then just run to the next room.

I see what you mean about the limited rooms. I very quickly felt like I was running around in circles, and felt like it was hopeless.

I'd like if it there was an actual way to escape the ice prison, since the game prompts you with that goal at the beginning. Maybe some hints or clues as to the right ways to go if you end up going the wrong way.

Keep it up! A solid start.    Hand Any KeyGrin Hand Joystick

Nulldorf
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2013, 07:23:46 AM »

I really like the idea of having the Easter island heads (I was imaging robots, but who cares at that resolution!) flash before they shoot. I had a really hard time trying to balance how often they would fire.

They always shoot in the cardinal direction most lined up with you, which can make them pretty deadly. I think if they flashed white a second before they shot it would help a lot. I also considered just having them shoot a random direction to keep them from being to cheap...and they are more likely to fire as you clear more rooms.

Thanks!
Noyb
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2013, 12:44:12 PM »

Good game feel for a first game! I played until I reached the red skulls (around 27 points).

It's very easy to accidentally skip the post-game score screen, since that action uses the same keys as standard play, and death may surprise the player.

I also was surprised when the grey enemy shot a speedy projectile at me the first time. Sprite doesn't read "shooter" and I faced off against enough of them that I had pegged their behavior as random bouncing. Otherwise you're good at conveying enemy behavior and state changes visually (like the angry face on the green things).

B6ka
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2013, 01:56:12 PM »

I guess I will have to stay in Phobos. Nice game, just one thing sometimes when I enter rooms the enemies seem to spawn too close, and I do not have enough time to react. Maybe it's me too slow but this is how I felt. I liked that you are not told where to go so you have to find your way. Maybe a nice touch would be to find some dead prisoners that were trying to find their own way out, or maybe you meet some sort of Ben Gunn that knows the place and gives you hints.

Good luck.

B6ka
Game developer, cat-gun enthusiast, alligator farmer
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic