Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411630 Posts in 69393 Topics- by 58447 Members - Latest Member: sinsofsven

May 12, 2024, 02:41:39 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingCube Road: A game that needs a push or a shot in the head
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Cube Road: A game that needs a push or a shot in the head  (Read 815 times)
Hangedman
Level 10

Two milkmen go comedy

View Profile WWW
« on: March 18, 2013, 07:00:36 PM »

LINK: http://hangedmandesign.com/public/unity/WebPlayer.html

I need a bit of input on this thing.
I need to know what might be done to save this project from just being a boring little press buttons thing that doesn't even really work as a speed/time attack puzzle game.
I'd also appreciate suggestions for an art motif. I just did simple colour gradients for now cause it was a jam game.

Or, please tell me to kill it and move on. But not without reason.

There are only 5 levels, with barely any progression. There is no sound. The corners of the models are janky somehow and the textures are mostly rudimentary.

I need to get away from this computer now. Thanks for any help.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2013, 09:58:07 AM by Hangedman » Logged

AUST
ITIAMOSIWE (Play it on NG!) - Vision
There but for the grace of unfathomably complex math go I
Hangedman
Level 10

Two milkmen go comedy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2013, 08:40:49 AM »

And there's my answer. Thanks  Hand Thumbs Down Left Tiger Hand Thumbs Up Right

AUST
TestTrek
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2013, 09:07:26 AM »

I tried playing and it said I need unity web player. I'm pretty sure i have the latest version too. Maybe its just me though
TriStarch
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2013, 09:48:06 AM »

Yeah, I can't play it either.  I even reinstalled the web player package that it prompted me to.
Hangedman
Level 10

Two milkmen go comedy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2013, 09:52:36 AM »

ffff unity makin' me care again

i'll reupload.

Link: http://hangedmandesign.com/public/unity/WebPlayer.html
Tested on two different comps. If that doesn't work that makes my decision easier.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2013, 09:58:50 AM by Hangedman » Logged

AUST
Baobab
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2013, 10:09:10 AM »

It's kind of an odd cross between turn based and real-time feel to me. I feel like it needs to be more one or the other, and have some other mechanic reinforcing that.
Noyb
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2013, 01:13:25 PM »

Made it to level 4.

Your font's "v" looks like a "u." It was also weird how the key further to the right makes me jump a shorter distance to the right.

Main problem I had is the combination of precise timing puzzles and indirect controls. Most of the challenge I experienced comes from the timing needed to land on a spinning block, but the jumps were long enough that I never quite internalized exactly how long a jump takes in relation to a block spin. Might help if everything was synced to an audible beat: like, jumping makes you land on the next beat, blocks always spin for a beat, then rest a beat or something. The timing might also feel friendlier if you gave a little leeway around the edges: let the player land sooner, jump later than the visuals might imply.

Level design got annoying. Eventually quit when I got tired of repeating the same first few challenges in a level over and over again to get to a part where I had difficulty with timing. The challenges themselves are neatly segmented by shield blocks: why not use them as checkpoints? Dying would still hurt the player's score, but waste less of the player's time.

I also didn't appreciate how you threw in new block types that instantly killed an unaware player partway through a level. Some of them -- the bounce back one particularly -- aren't immediately obvious from their iconography. The black face block screams death, but I was able to safely rest on them in levels 3+4.

SF
Level 0

Game Builder Club and 3d Game Birds Gameapp Maker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2013, 01:50:30 PM »

Agreed with Noyb on every point.

Now, that's not to say there isn't potential. In fact if you were to fix the legibility of block functions and pacing issues, all you'd really need to do after that is sharpen up the existing mechanics. Potential solutions that come to mind would be to make the jumping much faster, either add more time pressure or more intricate puzzle elements, and generally have a bit more visual excitement during climactic moments.

I'm not sure you could add a tonne of depth to this framework without several new mechanics, but it could be a fun little microgame for mobiles after some tightening.

It's a bad day to be travelling, but it's a great day to drink it!
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic