Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411630 Posts in 69393 Topics- by 58447 Members - Latest Member: sinsofsven

May 12, 2024, 08:31:53 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytesting"samurai_jazz" demo, Ninjatic-Noir overhead action/adventure
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: "samurai_jazz" demo, Ninjatic-Noir overhead action/adventure  (Read 704 times)
blaze_epic
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: March 21, 2013, 12:45:22 PM »

I'm just looking for general feedback. Every bit of it is greatly appreciated.

Download demo here:
http://sandbox.yoyogames.com/games/214670-samurai_jazz-demo

An action/adventure game taking ques from both film-noir and samurai-dramas of old, "samurai_jazz" takes players on an adventure through an enigmatic city, engaging in realistic sword-fights, encounters with mythological beings, and quirky dialog with the local inhabitants all presented in a pseudo 8-bit format. While action remains the central focus, a bit of detective work and puzzle-solving is necessary along with the usage of twitch-reflexes while having to stop and think to effectively overcome each of the game's abstract scenarios.

Features:

- Engage in realistic sword fights with enemy swordsman

- Face off against mythological demons of different types, each requiring different strategies to defeat

- Put your detective skills to work with brain-teasing puzzles

- 8-bit visuals presented in 16:9 format

- Atmospheric soundtrack

Justsometoast
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2013, 03:49:25 PM »

It looks pretty promising. I'm a fan of the combat mechanics although at this point standing there and hitting space is the optimal strategy, might want to fix that.

Also I would suggest having it run in a window.

1. Because its more convenient for the average player.

2. Because it was super blurry, on my monitor at least.

blaze_epic
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2013, 08:04:30 AM »

Thanks! A lot of the inspiration for the combat comes from Bushido Blade, Soul of the Samurai, and Tenchu. It'll start to demand more strategic approaches a little further on. I just wanted to keep things fairly simple at this point as an attempt to let the player familiarize themselves with the game.

I'll include an option to run it in a window and try to fix the blurriness. I thought it looked blurry too but I also thought it gave a retro-console-to-standard-definition-tv look but now I'm thinking differently. Thanks again! The feedback really does help!

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic