Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411545 Posts in 69383 Topics- by 58442 Members - Latest Member: vicemask

May 03, 2024, 05:10:04 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingSquared Shooter
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Squared Shooter  (Read 1626 times)
Cimpresovec
Level 1

View Profile
« on: August 29, 2009, 11:58:41 PM »

Hello there. A new game from me is here ( wow huh.. ). It is caled Squared Shooter. It is a combination of both experimentalgameplay themes ( bare minimum + unexperimental shooter ). As you can see it is a small little game with cubes for graphics Smiley The game is only about getting the high score. Game made in 20 hours in a 7 day period.

Screenie:

Linkie:
http://www.mediafire.com/?5w2yeemwjrj

Controls:
Move with ARROW KEYS
Aim with mouse.
Shoot with left mouse buzzn  Hand Point Left
Attract particles with right mouse button and then explode them from your core.  Hand Point Right

Try and give feedback please.

Programming is the closest thing I have to magic.
deathtotheweird
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2009, 02:40:04 AM »

this game is extremely fun! but it is unfortunate that you can't use WASD to move. It's very uncomfortable to use the arrow keys and the mouse, not to mention the fact I am so used to using WASD for various games.

I also thought the acceleration was too fast, but I got accustomed to it after a few playthoughs.

Didn't care for the music, but it did not detract from the experience.

Do you plan on working on the game some more or is this finished?
It would be awesome to have sounds, and decent graphics and just an overall more polished experience.

I usually dislike shumps, except for a handful (out of the millions) and I really enjoyed this one.

if you could make a build with WASD support I would buy you a beer Beer! and a pizza  Hand Knife Right Hand Fork Left

edit: so many errors, it's too early for me
Cimpresovec
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2009, 05:09:35 AM »

Thanks you very much.

Yea it is little strange to play with arrow keys but I think you can live with it :D

The game is finished. I planned to make it in 7 days ( the normal deadline ) and it came out realy good. I don't plan working on it. Even if it would take me 5 minutes to add WASD support Well, hello there!

But I am realy happy to get such a nice feedback.

P.S. I will add WASN support in my next game Smiley then I will get my pizza :D

Tycho Brahe
Level 10

λx.x

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2009, 12:23:58 PM »

REALLY fun, although, if I had one gripe (ok, two Smiley) then it would be the difficulty, you don't seem to have enough health to go on a really satisfying "just one more" run and the explosions don't seem to do much damage...
deathtotheweird
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2009, 02:26:08 PM »

..snip..

That's fine, I frequently play indie games with less than perfect key mappings so I have a key mapper that can let me mirror the keys myself.

I don't know about that pizza now man, and certainly not the beer. Instead of a pizza I'll just buy you a slice and you can have soda Tongue

I just got done with a few quick games, and I never realized how bad I am at shumps. Good work and I look forward to your future games  Addicted

Cimpresovec
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2009, 11:13:14 PM »

REALLY fun, although, if I had one gripe (ok, two Smiley) then it would be the difficulty, you don't seem to have enough health to go on a really satisfying "just one more" run and the explosions don't seem to do much damage...

Thanks.
Oh I don't understand the "just one more" run ( probably because my lack of english )  Shocked. Nut for the explosion, after some time playing the game the realy lack the power. The are useful later when the enemies are big and there are a lot of particles ( arround 15000 points ) but in the start... oh well. Yea I got 20000 points  Smiley

Well the a slice :D What is the name of the program the you use to key map. Sometimes that would be useful.
Thanks again :D

deathtotheweird
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2009, 12:21:31 AM »

I use AutoHotKey, which is very flexible but isn't quite user friendly, my script looks something like this:

Code:
#IfWinActive ahk_class Shoter
w::up
a::left
s::down
d::right

(which reminds me, you misspelled the exe..you forgot a T.)

when you include
Code:
#IfWinActive ahk_class Shoter
it maps they keys to only that program but if you just use #IfWinActive it maps the key to any open program. which doesn't matter as I exit the program when I am done with it anyway. their website has a ton useful documentation, so even the most novice user could make the program do miracles within minutes. I believe you can use it for joystick mapping, but xpadder is better since it has a GUI.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic