Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411661 Posts in 69396 Topics- by 58452 Members - Latest Member: Monkey Nuts

May 16, 2024, 03:09:36 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralTIGSTWG VII: Annihilation [GAME OVER: HUMANS AND THIEF WIN] - Killville Vol. 8
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 34
Print
Author Topic: TIGSTWG VII: Annihilation [GAME OVER: HUMANS AND THIEF WIN] - Killville Vol. 8  (Read 88814 times)
Cheater‽
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #600 on: July 26, 2008, 08:29:43 PM »

Gainsworthy, cobbler HAUNTED SEER [Werewolf'd and 'Sploded, Night 4]
Everyone wanted to kill him at once, too. He got werewolf'd, bombed, and seen by Cheater all at once. SEMIFAIL

What was the deal anyways? I see McAndrews during the night, he dies in the morning. Next day, I see gainsworthy, he dies in the morning.

This has been the tale of Killville Vol. 8. In five short days the population has dropped from 21 to 4. Is this really a victory at all...?

Beer!

Hey, we stopped dying.

Beer!
Xion
Pixelhead
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #601 on: July 26, 2008, 08:32:27 PM »

Gainsworthy, cobbler HAUNTED SEER [Werewolf'd and 'Sploded, Night 4]
Everyone wanted to kill him at once, too. He got werewolf'd, bombed, and seen by Cheater all at once. SEMIFAIL

What was the deal anyways? I see McAndrews during the night, he dies in the morning. Next day, I see gainsworthy, he dies in the morning.
No idea, man. Maybe being seen by you is bad luck  Shocked

Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #602 on: July 26, 2008, 08:57:11 PM »

So guys, I already got a good deal of planning done on my game. Can I take the job of host? If you guys agree I'll create the thread and accept entries.

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
cyber95
Level 5

The Computer is your friend.

View Profile
« Reply #603 on: July 26, 2008, 09:59:03 PM »

I should have gone for the angel or nobody at all. Well, even though I was labelled as FAIL, I think I did well. Did anybody even mention me as being suspicious until I picked the wrong final victim?

Garthy
Level 9

Quack, verily

View Profile WWW
« Reply #604 on: July 26, 2008, 10:00:05 PM »

Oh come now. A halberd is a long-range weapon, it was perfect for a coward to use! Wink *attacks the prone corpse*

Thankyou to Xion for running the game. Given the incredible complexity and detail inherent in this game, he has done an exceptional job. Gentleman

By the way, Xion's right. My encounter with the wolves was a complete work of fiction. Being a coward, I turned to flee immediately. You'll notice all the details in my story match the physical evidence. My only real power was to escape death once. To everyone who believed I was invulnerable well: :p

I didn't even know I was a Coward at the start of the game, by the way.

I thought GeneralValter was going to be a wolf or vampire. My next action was going to be to vote for him if he was (and being a double-vote mayor, he was stuffed). Unless he loaned me that gun I asked for, in which case I would have simply shot him with it if needed. Anyway, being a thief, some of his more odd actions make more sense now.

If this all failed, my backup plan was simple. I was going to talk and talk until everyone used their remaining weapons on themselves to end it all.

I disagree on the McAndrews "fail". I think he had convinced both Cheater, myself, and probably a few others he was almost certainly innocent to the point where nobody was likely to Seer him until the end. He was entirely alone, and played it brilliantly. He died from poor luck. He might have even won it. I think... no insist... that he be upgraded to "WINNAR". He played brilliantly.

Was Imaginationac active at all after he was brought back to life? I didn't get anything from him, don't think Cheater got any messages from him either, and he wasn't talking?

I had a bit of trouble trusting Cheater as I thought- make uncursed weapons, make uncursed armour (as powerful as my only ability), AND Seer- no way. He's going to stab me in the back somehow, or be some sort of archdemon or something. After he supported lynching a vampire and a werewolf, I decided I probably couldn't stop him anyhow.

I was thrown off more than once by some unexpected and bizarrre actions from innocents.

I've got partially-written game feedback, alternate simplified turret rules, and some postmortem notes from my point-of-view. If anyone is specifically interested in any of these, let me know which ones, and I'll see what I can do. If you're not, that's cool, I've got lots of other stuff I should be doing anyway.

Anyway, thanks again to Xion for hosting. You're awesome. Smiley
Melly
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #605 on: July 26, 2008, 10:04:29 PM »

Garthy, could you post jsut your feedback about the game?

Also, I REALLY did think you were a vamp. Tongue

Garthy
Level 9

Quack, verily

View Profile WWW
« Reply #606 on: July 26, 2008, 10:05:36 PM »

cyber95: You did well lasting as long as you did. Consider who was left near the end (ability wise). I'd be proud of that. Gentleman As for being suspicious, you voted for hroon when I gave you no reason and didn't vote for shinygerbil when I did- stood out quite a bit. Of course, at the end the only person who could have crossed the turrets (one was hot) was you, so the only other option was that someone could change turret settings in the night. If not for the turrets, I might have chopped GeneralValter instead.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2008, 10:11:11 PM by Garthy » Logged
Garthy
Level 9

Quack, verily

View Profile WWW
« Reply #607 on: July 26, 2008, 10:09:27 PM »

Cheater played it quite well too- he was pushing weapons and armour on me that would have helped had I not been so stubborn about accepting them. He came up with plans for wins more than once, again, had I not been so stubborn about the items they probably would have worked. I hope I can be forgiven though- to assume Cheater was who he was would be to assume that he was one badass character.
Garthy
Level 9

Quack, verily

View Profile WWW
« Reply #608 on: July 26, 2008, 10:19:58 PM »

Doom vision! Anyone you Seer, dies! Wink
Xion
Pixelhead
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #609 on: July 26, 2008, 10:28:01 PM »

Yeah, feedback would be nice Smiley
And thanks alot. This game was real complicated due to the fact that I insisted on giving everyone TWO roles (the known job and the special)
When it came down to coming up with roles that hadn't been done before, I totally didn't think things through enough - speaking specifically about the messenger. I thought it would be a cool role, but totally didn't know what kind of help he'd bring. Before I thought of turrets I debated between sending the cavalry, but I didn't know who would control such an entity, as I didn't want to get involved since I knew everyone's roles. Or a tank, but I couldn't figure out how that would work - and it was way too powerful for one person. Maybe a skilled tracker of mythical beasts, but again, who would control him? I decided turrets because everyone would have control, leaning not too strongly to one person to have their power, and because I wouldn't have to be involved with any bias.

I also expected some things to happen that didn't, like werewolves and vampires attacking each other. This almost happened when I believe increpare was going to attack jstckr, and then McAndrews was going to come in the middle of the fight and blow them both up with his bazooka and then run into the line of fire of a turret and get killed on his way to murder Cheater (I had it all written up! Cry), but at the last minute jstckr was lynched and they had to change targets.

One role I am sort of proud of is the Demon - she had to possess someone and use them as an instrument of murder instead of killing directly. This would've been interesting had it actually happened.

By far though, the two most unbalanced characters in this game were Cheater and GeneralValter. As Garthy said, Cheater was one badass dude. He could make armor, protecting him from an attempt on his life, weapons, allowing vigilante kills, and reveal roles. And GeneralValter, being able to construct bombs as the gunsmith and steal items from other players.

And yeah, imaginationac was pretty inactive.

I disagree on the McAndrews "fail". I think he had convinced both Cheater, myself, and probably a few others he was almost certainly innocent to the point where nobody was likely to Seer him until the end. He was entirely alone, and played it brilliantly. He died from poor luck. He might have even won it. I think... no insist... that he be upgraded to "WINNAR". He played brilliantly.
I don't think that would be fair, as he didn't survive the game, but you're totally right. Will a "semifail" do?

Garthy
Level 9

Quack, verily

View Profile WWW
« Reply #610 on: July 26, 2008, 10:39:51 PM »

Okay then, you asked for it. Smiley Please take as suggestions from a grateful participant, not as criticism:

- Multiple roles *and* items- all open-ended- too complex (makes strategising obscenely complex).
- Anything new that needs rules should be explained upfront (eg. items, turrets).
- Sometimes listing key roles in the game before start is beneficial (eg. will be a Seer, Guardian).
- If cardflip on, odd roles should be explained on death (what's a Lawful Ninja?).
- The map that changed with events- BEST FREAKIN' THING EVER. Knocks the awesome-o-meter off the scale. That rocked.
- Turret heat settings, neat idea and concept. Smiley
- Arbitrary turret placement, angles, etc- far, far too complex.
- Turrets with random settings were too effective.
- You made the right call saying "no" when I asked to shuffle ammo cases.
- Should have told us we lost a turret earlier though. :p
- Should set a rough real-world time for sunset and sunrise, so people know when to be around (if they can) and when they need to vote by. I believe 48 hours per game day is typical, to give everyone a chance to participate.
- Link to rules in the opening post, with any changes or specifics- eg. Cardflip on death? Nighttalk? PMs? Direct text quoting? Instalynch? Strikethrough old votes? No editing posts? Non-voting rules and punishment. Emphasis made on important rules like death-talk, bold your votes, etc.
- Important that when someone uses a special (eg. Martyr, Medium, item use), the host posts the effects every time, so that you know that what someone claims is happening, is actually happening.

Re fail/semifail/winnar, others of the dead got "winnar"'s too. Smiley How about honourary winnar then?

The turrets were an interesting idea (the heat settings very clever!) but I'd go for a simpler system if used again. If you're interested in the simple system I wrote up, let me know and I'll post it too. I also started writing up another system, but it turned out to be too complex. If you're interested in seeing that too, just let me know.
Xion
Pixelhead
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #611 on: July 26, 2008, 10:48:00 PM »

The turrets were an interesting idea (the heat settings very clever!) but I'd go for a simpler system if used again. If you're interested in the simple system I wrote up, let me know and I'll post it too. I also started writing up another system, but it turned out to be too complex. If you're interested in seeing that too, just let me know.
sure, I'd be interested in seeing both of those, if it's not too much trouble.  Gentleman

Re fail/semifail/winnar, others of the dead got "winnar"'s too. Smiley How about honourary winnar then?
yes, but the others were on the human (winning) team. Wink
"well played Gentleman" is my final offer

Melly
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #612 on: July 26, 2008, 10:50:52 PM »

I started the thread of the next game. I'm not sure I'll be having the town picture that changes (since I'm not that much of an artist) and will focus mostly on exposition through text.

I'm going to keep it somewhat simpler than this game though, especially since it's my first time doing this kind of stuff so I don't want to get overwhelmed.

It was a good game though Xion. Gentleman You're welcome to join the ranks of the doomed in mine.

Garthy
Level 9

Quack, verily

View Profile WWW
« Reply #613 on: July 26, 2008, 11:33:07 PM »

Ah, of course. I always catch the subtle details, but never the blatantly obvious ones. Wink

A "well played" and a gentleman? Why yes, good sir, that would make me happy. Jolly good show. Smiley

Here's the simple turret system:

- Four turrets cover four equal-sized sectors of the city.
- Everyone secretly votes hot/warm/cold for their sector.
- Highest votes for each determine actual setting, coinflip/random to break ties.
- At night, if your body-temp matches the setting in your sector or the sector you are going to, a turret opens fire on you, with a 20% chance of killing you.
- No more than one member of a team (eg. werewolves, vampires) can be killed in one night- change the results if one does.
- In the morning, you get a report of what the settings were, if any fired, but not which guns went off.
- Optional: Host moves people each day as needed to keep the sectors fairly even.
- Optional: You can vote for another sector apart from your own.
- Optional: You can move house once by PMing the host.

--

The more complex one that I abandoned follows. One reason I adandoned it is that whilst it is simpler, it takes so much longer to describe. It's not finished, so expect mistakes, and I hadn't formalised the rules. Here goes:

You have taken possession of an extremely powerful and effective town defence system. The system includes three powerful independently-aimed programmable turrets. Each turret has three extremely long and heavy rotating barrels, mounted together on a rotating central platform. Each barrel is capable of firing thousands of rounds a minute at a target. The turrets are attached to a powerful central sensor system.

You want to make sure you are on the right end of the barrel with these babies.

The triple-barrels are unique in their design. One is equipped with bullets, capable of shredding through layers of brick and humans in under a second. The second is loaded with silver bullets and shards, designed to bring a werewolf to a spectacularly glittery end. The third fires several volleys of blessed and sharpened hardwood stakes, fired with enough force to go through a vampire and pin him to the ground. The sunrise then takes care of the remaining problem. The three barrels are nicknamed warm, hot, and cold respectively, to match the body temperature of their primary targets. Only a single barrel can be active on each turret at a time, but the correct barrel can be automatically rotated into place as needed.

Designed for security, the system can be programmed, and then sealed inside a titanium armour shell. It takes well over an hour to remove this shell, and requires cutting and drilling parts of the structure. The tools needed to do this make an incredible noise. If anyone were to try to change the settings on this thing, everyone in the town would know about it.

The system is set up on the tower to give full coverage to the town.

Looking at the manual, you discover the means to program the turrets.

Each turret is given a set of heat and location settings. For the heat setting, you can specify hot, warm, or cold, any pair, or all of them. For location, you can specify a set of several programmable locations. It seems the pre-programmed locations are set to each of the four corners of the town, plus the two central intersections. plus the front door of each surviving person in the town. The instructions do not seem to provide a way to change these pre-programmed locations, but you can choose among them at least.

The turrets are initially set with a simple program: All heats, and all locations. This is your most effective general-purpose defence available where you do not know what you are up against. Each turret has is own settings. You may want to fine-tune these.

The system runs on a timer. This timer has been preset by the fine folks at Artilleryville to turn on at night and off in the morning. The instructions don't say how to change it so a quick discussion resolves that it should be left this way.

The turrets are heavy and slow to turn. The barrels take a couple of seconds to roll into place, and only one barrel can be locked into an active position at a time. Whenever a viable target is detected, the system will attempt to spin around to the right location, load the right barrel, and fire, no matter what the settings are. The barrels are liquid cooled and fire in controlled bursts, so there is negligible chance of overheating.

The powerful main sensors are always trained on the current location of the turret. If a target crosses its path and the right barrel is loaded, it will immediately open fire at full power with a 100% chance of complete destruction of the target and much of the surrounding architecture. If the wrong barrel is loaded, however, it will try to roll the right barrel into place whilst it opens fire. This reduces the accuracy somewhat, and field studies show a 30% chance of incapacitating the target.

Additionally, secondary sensors will scan the entire area for targets. If a target is found, every turret with the right barrel loaded will quickly spin and fire in an arc, with a 10% chance each of hitting their target. If the wrong barrel is loaded, it will pass on the target, as field tests show that it simply cannot spin and load fast enough to fire upon a moving target. Regardless of whether the target is fired upon or not, with each detection a log entry is made as to the heat detected and location, and settings at that time. These logs are tamper-proof and can be checked by everyone in the morning.

In game terms, anyone traveling at night must leave their house, travel along the main streets in any way of their choosing, enter the house of their target, and then do the reverse to get back home. Each time a location is crossed, the present location and setting of the turret will be randomly chosen from its programmed set. If the location matches, the turret will open fire as described. If not, the turret and main sensors were pointing elsewhere at the time, and the turret did not see you. The secondary sensors have a likelihood of detecting your movement that grows the longer the distance traveled. Once a sensor has detected you, the chance of reacquiring your position again is vastly increased. As such, it may fire on you more than once. Consequently, you should try to minimise the distance you need to travel, unless you are trying to avoid passing by certain locations.

You may propose a turret program if you like, after which you should vote for it. If you like the design of someone else, you may vote for theirs. Votes should be in bold, with a name followed by the words "turret design", ie: I vote for fish's turret design. You may also vote for the default setting, which is fully-random heat and location settings. If no votes are made, the turrets remain with their last program.

An example program:

1. Hot/Cold, all dwellings
2. Warm, all western intersections
3. All, all

This will set one turret to swap between hot and cold on all dwellings only, one turret locked onto warm on the western intersections, and one fully random.

The default program is:

1. All, all.
2. All, all.
3. All, all.

According to the manual, properly maintained, all three turrets should remain in perfect working order throughout their lifetime. Unfortunately, the manual does not specify how to properly maintain them.
William Broom
Level 10

formerly chutup

View Profile
« Reply #614 on: July 26, 2008, 11:35:50 PM »

Great game, everyone, even though I didn't last all that long. Which is just as well since I was on holiday for most of the game  Lips Sealed

Garthy
Level 9

Quack, verily

View Profile WWW
« Reply #615 on: July 26, 2008, 11:38:14 PM »

Also Xion, any hints on some of the specials- eg. exactly how the Haunted Seer worked (I'm guessing dodgy night visions), and what a Lawful Ninja does? I'm also fascinated with any other details of what happened behind the scenes, eg. what the armour/weapon build rules were, exactly how demonic possession was going to work, etc. There's always a lot of structure in these games that you just don't see. Smiley
Gainsworthy
Level 10

BE ATTITUDE FOR GAINS...

View Profile
« Reply #616 on: July 27, 2008, 12:02:37 AM »

I'm not haunted! I'm the only sane one! You're the monsters. Yes, I saw it. I saw it all. And you, you will all see. Curse you Cyber! And you never sent me any delcious breads!

*evaporates*

Well played, everyone. Hats off to the survivors!

And Xion, fantastic job at hosting. Loved what you did, and how you did it. Ever changing map! Whew.

Gentleman
cyber95
Level 5

The Computer is your friend.

View Profile
« Reply #617 on: July 27, 2008, 12:05:04 AM »

Well, my pastries can reveal roles, so I was worried about what your shoes would have done.

Say, what would your shoes have done?

Gainsworthy
Level 10

BE ATTITUDE FOR GAINS...

View Profile
« Reply #618 on: July 27, 2008, 12:13:21 AM »

Magic Pastry? Outstanding.

My shoes, if I may reveal as such, would let me recognise if the recipient was traipsing around at night. I think. It would have also given the wearer Guaranteed, Tailored Comfort at an affordable price! NO LOOTING MY WRECKAGE. Lips Sealed
Garthy
Level 9

Quack, verily

View Profile WWW
« Reply #619 on: July 27, 2008, 12:21:38 AM »

I offered meat to people before I was aware items had significance. I was just roleplaying. :} My meat did nothing apart from make me look really suspicious when it was announced that items may have an effect.

cyber95: What's that made from, Seer-dough? Wink
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 34
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic