Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411593 Posts in 69386 Topics- by 58444 Members - Latest Member: FightingFoxGame

May 07, 2024, 11:06:31 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperAudioComposer looking for critique!
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Composer looking for critique!  (Read 7037 times)
Sam English
« on: October 16, 2010, 02:47:55 PM »

Greetings everyone,

I'm a fresh composer who's looking for any and all types of projects to provide music for. My preferred styles range from fully orchestral to electronic but I'm willing to try and fit the needs of any game in development. I've also tried my hand at scoring. I'd love to give my services to anyone in need. No compensation needed. Any and all types of critiques would be greatly appreciated.

This link takes you to my blog which has many different styles of songs I've made:
http://henceforthinfinite.tumblr.com/

Here are a few specific blog posts which are songs specifically made to fit in a video game environment:
Finding A Way Through
Setting Worries Aside
A Forgotten Story
Bracing For A Struggle
A Sudden Threat
Windswept Terrain

And here is an example of one of my scores:
http://henceforthinfinite.tumblr.com/post/1320410050/samenglishscore1

Thanks!

Sam English
« Last Edit: July 11, 2011, 03:02:34 PM by Sam English » Logged
Davioware
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2010, 03:11:49 PM »

Good stuff! At certain points some of the songs got a little repetitive, but they changed before it became too much of an issue.

All in all this is some pretty high quality orchestral music. Gentleman

Sam English
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2010, 05:13:07 PM »

Many thanks, Josiah and Davioware! The comments are much appreciated.  Grin

I mainly use Reason 4 for all of the midi sequencing. I find it a very comfortable program to work in, just because it's what I've used the longest. Many people disown it because of the fact that you can't load your own VSTs. The samples that I use all come from MANY different Refill packages (Sonic Reality, Miroslav String Ensembles, etc.) and I'm very happy with the way they sound. They are a little limiting in some aspects when compared to some VSTs but like I said, I'm content with what I have at the moment.
Sam English
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2010, 06:48:08 PM »

Cheesy

Well, I guess I should have given my previous PC situation, but I had a HP laptop that just wasn't cutting it for the stuff I was trying to do. I have nothing against Windows at all. I love it too. At the time that I said that, I was just extremely excited about how smooth the process went in comparison to the piece of garbage I used to have. So I'm impartial to either platform really. No need for a platform battle.  Smiley
Sam English
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2010, 07:12:08 PM »

Here's a more recent song of mine. It's short and simple, but please give it a listen as well!

http://henceforthinfinite.tumblr.com/post/1341135977/calming-breeze
BrixxieBee
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2010, 01:26:18 PM »

I like these. There's not much to say and I hope you find jobs in the scoring business. You definitely have the talent. I just started listening to your album now. I'll leave feedback if I don't get distracted with something else.
Sam English
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2010, 08:12:01 AM »

I truly appreciate the compliments, James. Thanks for checking it out!
Sam English
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2010, 07:19:48 PM »

I've added a few new songs to my blog since I've last posted here. Quite a mixture, indeed. Be sure to check them out!

http://henceforthinfinite.tumblr.com/
Francesco D'Andrea
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2010, 01:05:19 PM »

I listened only to one track, because maybe it's better to talk about one thing at time.

About "Against Inertia":

I liked the second movement in the final part of the track.
Maybe the first part lacks of some insterts which refresh the repeting theme.
Also, pay attention to the instruments pan collocation, I hear a lot of stuff in the center, and L, but some vacue in the R (only my impression?)
Anyway there are some good ideas, try to remix it, maybe it could sound more open.
Some staccato strings could be doubled with higher octave and supported by a rythmical brass section? Some hints, just some ideas, but of course it's personal.
Anyway, keep it up! Smiley

Videogame Composer & Sound Designer
http://francescodandrea.bandcamp.com/
Craig Stern
Level 10

I'm not actually all that stern.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2010, 03:38:55 PM »

I tried listening to Against Inertia, but the player just said "error" and didn't play anything. Sad

Sam English
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2010, 10:06:37 AM »

Francesco, thanks for the constructive critiques, out of all comments I appreciate those the most! As for Against Inertia, it's one of the older songs I've done and I remember not focusing as much on the panning assignments as I should have. I agree with you on all your points, and I do believe a remix is in order.  Hand Thumbs Up Left I'll upload it when I can get around to it! Thanks, again!

Craig, that's odd. I know that, for a day or so, Tumblr's entire website was down. But everything should be okay now.

Craig Stern
Level 10

I'm not actually all that stern.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2010, 06:44:06 PM »

Ah, okay! It's working now.

I like a lot of what you've got going on in "Fleet of Hundreds." It has a sound to it that reminds me a bit of RJD2.

Sam English
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2010, 08:12:41 PM »

I've also got a new mock score up as well, if anyone would like to give that a listen.

Mock score, "Ambush"
hyperduck
Level 10

Music and Noises

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2010, 06:10:48 AM »

Amazing! What on earth do you use VST wise for your woodwinds? And I am guessing just in general, it sounds so lovely ^_^ is it the EastWest stuff?

Sam English
« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2010, 05:07:14 PM »

Smiley Thanks a bunch, Mecha!

All the instruments I use at the time being are the Sonic Reality and Miroslav ReFills for Reason. Very soon I'm hoping to add Kontakt 4 to the list. I sure wish they were the EastWest VST's....
swordofkings128
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2010, 08:37:25 PM »

You ever hear of a composer called Junya Nakano? He did the music for threads of fate, and your stuff REALLY reminds me of him... Which is a great thing.

Windswept terrain and a sudden threat really have that Threads of Fate vibe... Great job! I have no critique because all of those songs are fantastic the way they are. My Word!

Sam English
« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2010, 01:42:16 PM »

swordofkings128, I'm not familiar with what Nakano did for Threads of Fate, but I know I enjoy almost every track he did for Final Fantasy X. Maybe I'll check out Threads of Fate as well. Either way, I truly appreciate the comment!

I've uploaded a brand new song to my blog, trying to top Windswept Terrain... Ha. Tongue

Finding A Way Through

I'm really trying to get better at this composing thing!
« Last Edit: December 21, 2010, 02:04:58 PM by Sam English » Logged
Bander
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 21, 2010, 02:08:47 PM »

really nice!
Did i hear a synth hiding among the acoustic instuments around the middle? Cool choice in that case.
To me it was really reminiscent of the secret of mana music  Hand Thumbs Up Left

Sam English
« Reply #18 on: December 21, 2010, 02:17:25 PM »

Thank you for listening!

Yes, there are certain parts where a lead synth is accompanying the main melody.  Smiley It was one of choices where I thought, "Why not?"

And I LOVE the Secret of Mana soundtrack!
swordofkings128
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 02, 2011, 10:18:47 PM »

GOT DAME Sam English is some one to keep a close eye on! Finding a way through is fantastico! If there was an icon for a stereotypical italian chef kissing his finger, I would use that here. :D

Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic