Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411592 Posts in 69386 Topics- by 58444 Members - Latest Member: FightingFoxGame

May 07, 2024, 07:02:23 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperAudioGames that use sampled music
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Games that use sampled music  (Read 823 times)
Manuel Magalhães
Forum Dungeon Master
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« on: December 10, 2011, 04:18:31 AM »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sampling_(music)
The only games that I know that do this are Soul Brother and Rez, and maybe Jet Set Radio but I'm not sure. Are there more games with sampled music?

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2011, 04:38:48 AM »

snes games use samples.  Durr...?

but i guess you're talking about games that use portions of existing music right?

uses chopped up samples of a bunch of classical music (beethoven, mozart, wagner, dvorak among others) as the basis for its score. a great, unique soundtrack wasted on a mediocre game.
Manuel Magalhães
Forum Dungeon Master
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2011, 04:49:23 AM »

but i guess you're talking about games that use portions of existing music right?
Yup. That drakengard music you posted sounds awesome! Too bad that the game was mediocre.

DavidCaruso
YEEEAAAHHHHHH
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2011, 09:15:51 AM »

and

=P

actually, the Sonic series seems to do this a lot; 3K used MJ samples e.g. JAM!, pretty much all of the vocals in the Sonic Rush OST are sampled from other places (the best one is that they sampled a Malcolm X speech to use for the final boss theme lol), the second Red Mountain theme in Adventure, etc. Though Rush's music was made by the same guy who did JSR's.

Steel Assault devlog - NES-style 2D action platformer: successfully Kickstarted!
mcc
Level 10

glitch

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2011, 11:20:30 AM »

Earthbound used sampling heavily in its music! (The sound chip in the SNES was basically a sampler, but Earthbound was almost the only game I can think of where the music treated it like one instead of trying to mimic traditional instruments). In fact there is a persistent rumor I have never tried to verify, that the reason Nintendo will not re-release Earthbound on VC in America is because it has several uncleared samples of pop songs owned by litigious entities. The specific example I was given was a claim that there are actually Beatles samples in there and, thinking about it, the strange little loop that plays in the cave you seek in the Lost Underworld does sound seriously like a chopped up version of the intro to All you need is Love...

My projects:<br />Games: Jumpman Retro-futuristic platforming iJumpman iPhone version Drumcircle PC+smartphone music toy<br />More: RUN HELLO
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic