Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411592 Posts in 69386 Topics- by 58444 Members - Latest Member: FightingFoxGame

May 07, 2024, 08:27:30 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperAudioSong in an Hour - Feedback
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Song in an Hour - Feedback  (Read 850 times)
Feral_P
Level 1

View Profile
« on: December 17, 2011, 09:10:53 AM »

So I wrote this song in an hour, and it's fairly typical of my style, but obviously it's rough around the edges. Yet, I thought I'd upload it so I could get some feedback.

Here it is:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/10171005/Song%20in%20an%20hour.mp3

I won't say too much about it, so as not to colour your opinions of it, but any kind of critique will be very much appreciated; tips, advice, what you like and - more importantly - dislike Wink

Thanks in advance!

EDIT: Here's a link to the song on bandcamp:
http://voxygen.bandcamp.com/track/song-in-an-hour
« Last Edit: December 17, 2011, 10:10:20 AM by Feral_P » Logged
Cheezmeister
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2011, 05:10:20 PM »

The intro/outro...don't really exist. I feel like they should, and prominently, with this kind of relaxed chill track.

Similarly, the middle doesn't have a discernible tension/climax/release flow, just kinda hops between motifs. More variation goes a long way.

The instrumentation/production, especially on the main melody, sounds rather flat and MIDI-ish. Unless it actually is MIDI, in which case...why are you using MIDI =P?

෴Me෴ @chzmstr | www.luchenlabs.com ቒMadeቓ RA | Nextris | Chromathud   ᙍMakingᙌCheezus II (Devlog)
Feral_P
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2011, 11:44:18 AM »

Thanks for the feedback. I agree, the 'intro' and 'outro' are practically non-existent, and the parts I spent least time on. And I think you're right about the lack of variation in the middle (there isn't any), although I tried to make the 'chorus' a little more exciting than the verse, I'll have to try harder next time Wink

The melody synth is my least favourite of all the synths, and I'm going to have to try improving it... And it is actually MIDI (the whole thing is), since I can't play any actual instruments myself Tongue I wasn't aware there were really any alternatives :L But, you're right, the production is pretty poor, since I didn't spend much (if any) time on it Smiley
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic