Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411595 Posts in 69386 Topics- by 58444 Members - Latest Member: FightingFoxGame

May 07, 2024, 04:23:53 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperAudioAtonal video game music
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Atonal video game music  (Read 2603 times)
Kinimod
Level 0

View Profile
« on: December 19, 2011, 05:14:52 AM »

Hi!
Do you know any Video Games that feature atonal music? Did you ever use any of it for your games? In which games/situations is atonality in your opinion appropriate?
Calum Bowen
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2011, 07:32:58 AM »

I know that in sci-fi film music atonality is often used to represent aliens/space - so it may appear in some space games. Other than that, I can't think of anywhere else where atonality may be appropriate - i'm sure it appears to some extent but as a purposeful device, who knows. I'd be interested to hear it.
Maybe like something hectic or big crash scene or something might have some atonality.

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2011, 11:03:47 AM »

atonality could work well for horror games
MoritzPGKatz
Level 3

"Was he an animal, that music could move him so?"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2011, 12:35:28 PM »

Hey,

Atonal clusters are a common cliché for sci-fi games and movies since Kubrick used Ligeti's Atmosphères in 2001: A Space Odyssey:

Same thing for horror games and movies, the clusters tend to be on higher registers and with sharper dissonance though:

I like to use whole tone scales for labyrinths and mazes, works so well because WT has no start or end. Love this track by Motoaki Takenouchi:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PPLJkwJNq70&feature=player_detailpage#t=1264s

Cheers,
Moritz

Arcadian Atlas now on Steam!
>120 minute jazz OST on my Bandcamp
Vinyl pre-orders available
Head of Music at German Wahnsinn Studios
mcc
Level 10

glitch

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2011, 12:26:40 AM »

Technically my Ludum Dare entry... http://www.ludumdare.com/compo/ludum-dare-22/?uid=4987&action=rate

I have an unfinished project where the soundtrack is generative, objects on screen emit tones and the tones are randomly assigned on an atonal scale. The way this works out is that it fades from one random but repeating tone to the next. I think the effect is nicely disorienting and stark and sometimes by coincidence there is harmony between successive notes and it sounds like some kind of actual off-again-on-again melody was intended.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2011, 12:55:16 AM by mcc » Logged

My projects:<br />Games: Jumpman Retro-futuristic platforming iJumpman iPhone version Drumcircle PC+smartphone music toy<br />More: RUN HELLO
Cheezmeister
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2011, 07:42:26 PM »

I have an unfinished project where the soundtrack is generative, objects on screen emit tones and the tones are randomly assigned on an atonal scale.

Think I could see that? I'm fooling around with generative music on Nextris (albeit tonal & harmonic) and examples are always nice Smiley

෴Me෴ @chzmstr | www.luchenlabs.com ቒMadeቓ RA | Nextris | Chromathud   ᙍMakingᙌCheezus II (Devlog)
DigitalEelRich
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2012, 07:47:54 PM »

I like to mix atonal sections with more conventional sections, alternating, used to compliment each other.  A sweet piece of music sounds even sweeter after something strange.  A strange piece of music sounds even cooler after something familiar, etc.  I like range.

Here's some stuff I did for Brainpipe, a short medley.  Some of it gets atonal, but I'll come back to more conventional harmony from time to time.
http://nightmareband.bandcamp.com/track/brainpipe-ii-trippocampus
[edit: sorry -wrong url!]

This is a collection of some of the medium intensity pieces used in the game.  There's also a set of mellow intensity loops and a set of maximum intensity pieces, each to match increasingly difficult sections of the game.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2012, 02:50:12 PM by DigitalEelRich » Logged

This isn't science.  It's more like black magic.
- Victor Frankenstein, Bride of Frankenstein
DigitalEelRich
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2012, 04:21:00 PM »

I guess you can hear the straight vs. atonal back and forth in Jammers too:
http://nightmareband.bandcamp.com/track/subliminal-distraction-mix

This isn't science.  It's more like black magic.
- Victor Frankenstein, Bride of Frankenstein
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic