Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411591 Posts in 69386 Topics- by 58443 Members - Latest Member: Mansreign

May 07, 2024, 05:06:41 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperAudioNoisemaking tools of 2011
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Noisemaking tools of 2011  (Read 2882 times)
Triplefox
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« on: December 31, 2011, 02:40:47 PM »

Post what worked, what didn't work, and what you plan to use.

What worked
Renoise. Dat tracker UI...it's hard to break away from
Axis 49 + Mixcraft 5. The combination of this MIDI controller with any multitrack+MIDI sequencer works marvelously for "things trackers don't do well" - if it wasn't Mixcraft it would probably be FL Studio.
SiON for some Flash-based experiments, particularly this prototype tracker UI on top of the built in MML. There's still a lot to explore with this technology.
MiniAudicle to test out some audio algorithms in a fast-iteration environment.
Audacity 1.3x and WinLAME as the toolchain to get assets in a game-usable form. Adequate, but I feel like I could make the process more streamlined.

Image Line Harmless. Still my go-to for possibly too many synth sounds. There are very few softsynths that match the raw power of this thing's timbres, and it packs in a lot of diversity in the UI.
Synth1. When I need something Harmless doesn't do(usually more detailed LFO and noise stuff), Synth1 usually does it.
The (discontinued) Sanford Cobalt. It specializes in pitchy and harsh digital sounds - if it had better noise functionality it would be my #1 sound effect synth, I think. (because of that weakness Synth1 is instead)
Mixcraft's built-in GM soundbank. No joke, some of those samples are pretty darn good.

Everything made by Bootsy. A lot of these plugs have overlapping functionality, which leaves me clueless as how to best use most of it, but I have a habit now of putting FerricTDM on every track and using EpicVerb for all reverb(the only annoyance of the latter is that the default setting of all presets is 100% wet, which sounds stupid), and then randomly choosing one of the others for analog-sounding compression and EQ.
Voxengo Boogex for amp simulation. A great help to making my MIDI guitars sound a bit more believable(if not perfect).

What didn't work
I didn't have a good setup for samples this year and mostly resorted to built-ins of my sequencers, when I really needed them. At one time I used sfz free and soundfonts, but it was doing horrible things to my sequencers this year, for some reason.

I tried a number of free plugins and while some were very promising(e.g. Plex) they mostly didn't stick for one reason or another.

My mixes were shabby because I wasn't in a situation where I could really use speakers, so I used an old pair of Senn PX-100's instead, which don't have nearly enough accuracy to make good mix decisions.

Overall not a horrible year, I just never got around to resolving my sample problems(since I'm not composing full-time and mostly do synth stuff anyway), and I was able to forget that I was mixing badly after spending months doing it Beer!

What I plan to use
Jeskola XS-1 seems to fit my SF2 needs again, so I'll go back to building up some libraries with that format.

Digidrum Pro for a simple drum synth, something I've missed for a while.
Majken Grizzly as a secondary drum synth for more "FX" type sounds.

Sennheiser HD203 cans, which I just got. The 203s bring out a lot more detail than my PX-100s, but I will still use those for everyday listening because they're more comfy. Maybe in the future I'll try other brands too!

I will try searching for a "power-user" synth again - maybe another additive. And I will look for a second set of mixing plugins(other than sequencer built-ins) that might complement the Bootsy kit.

And I will continue with all the good stuff I used last year. Still discovering new things to do in Harmless and Synth1. Much of my current setup is free, which is nice.

Bones
Level 10

3 Months Sober

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2011, 02:44:07 PM »

I'm just using a combination of SFXR & Cool Edit Pro.
But that's just mainly for sound effects not really musically based sounds.

And have been using Audacity 1.3 for mixing longer tracks like music.
I like the new snap feature for 1.3 makes lining up wave forms a bit easier of a task.

Sit down and relax,
Keeping focus on your breath,
This may take a while.

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2011, 05:10:12 PM »

ableton live with a handful of plugins, audacity and my guitar. i used to have a gigantic setup then realized i was using like 5 different tools to do the exact same thing and slimmed everything down.
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2012, 05:59:38 AM »

I've only ever used Jeskola Buzz and wide range of VST's. I have Renoise (demo) installed and I think I move to that after I finish all my current Buzz projects.

easynam
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2012, 01:41:10 PM »

Image Line Harmless. Still my go-to for possibly too many synth sounds. There are very few softsynths that match the raw power of this thing's timbres, and it packs in a lot of diversity in the UI.
Have you tried Harmor yet? It's basically an upgraded version of harmless, and its the synth i use for almost everything atm

bauer
Level 1

Codes games & makes music

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2012, 01:50:22 AM »

My music projects during this year have mostly been composed using:
Reaper - Really lovely DAW with a lot of customization options, also low price
Albino v3 - Sweet synth noise
Addictive Drums - Pretty nice drumkits
Pod X3 Live - For the guitar and bass noise
EWQL Gold - For the symphonic noise

This year I'll be looking for some more synth plugs, not really sure which ones yet. I'll buy an Asus Zenbook quite soon, which will be sweet for on-the-road-noise.

Here's to all the noise we'll create in 2012! Beer!

MoritzPGKatz
Level 3

"Was he an animal, that music could move him so?"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2012, 05:40:19 AM »

I think my best purchase of 2011 were the Adam AX8. Great speakers for the money. The X-ART ribbon tweeters provide a treble resolution that even the Genelecs can't keep up with.

The Akai APC40 I bought is quite handy for working/performing with Ableton Live, especially with the nativeKONTROL scripts.

Then there's the Tech21 Liverpool - I wanted to outsource amp emulation and this little pedal does a great job without all the fancy FX I'd program and automate in the DAW anyway.

Pluginwise, there's LAConvolver, the only free convolution reverb for Mac that I know of. Voxengo has free impulse reverb samples on their website, works like a charm. Might consider buying Altiverb this year, though.
I didn't buy any synths and I'm pretty proud of that - Live's Operator and Sampler are enough once you learn how to use it, especially with Audio Effect and Instrument Racks.

Samplewise, too much to list... I bought a lot from Soniccouture, they just won me over.
Also shopped at EWQL who I hate for their licensing system and PLAY engine, but I guess there's no way around it.

2012, I'm mainly trying to get bigger studio rooms so I can record drums and small choirs and stuff.

Wish you all the very best with your music! Coffee

Arcadian Atlas now on Steam!
>120 minute jazz OST on my Bandcamp
Vinyl pre-orders available
Head of Music at German Wahnsinn Studios
JackMenhorn
Level 2

Sound Designer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2012, 12:42:20 PM »

I spent quite a bit on BOOM Library SFX and some other indie sfx shops.

I regret getting Pro Tools 9.   Logic works better for me.

Sound Designer<br />www.jackmenhorn.com

Nova-111 OST: https://jackmenhorn.bandcamp.com/album/nova-111
Sam English
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2012, 12:48:01 PM »

I got Native Instrument's DAMAGE last month and I still haven't been able to lift my jaw from the floor. If you're into epic drums, crunchy kits, or ever wondered what kind of sounds you get from demolishing a piano, I highly recommend it. A percussion lovers dream.

I spent quite a bit on BOOM Library SFX and some other indie sfx shops.

I regret getting Pro Tools 9.   Logic works better for me.

Logic all the way.
hyperduck
Level 10

Music and Noises

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2012, 04:09:48 AM »

I own

and plan on learning a lot more about it this year. For this reason only.

Sam English
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2012, 09:43:54 AM »

I own

and plan on learning a lot more about it this year. For this reason only.
Great stuff.
Herr Schnurrbart
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2012, 11:57:36 AM »

Cool stuff:
  • A huge load of iOS stuff
    Wow, iOS is getting a lot of love! All the cool Korg Gear available to Herr-Schnurrbart-friendly prices!  Gentleman
  • Garageband
    Is surprisingly good. I don't own a Mac, but a close friend does and recording was lots of fun.
  • All kinds of trackers
    Everyone ever should use Sunvox. It is by far the most cool thing.
Not-so-cool stuff:
  • KORG Nanokey
    Should have bought the Akai LPK. The Keys are superflimsy and it's not very fun to use.
  • A huge load of iOS stuff
    While there are many great apps, there is a fair share of garbage. Try to follow recommendations!
pgil
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2012, 01:35:30 PM »

MilkyTracker.

Right-click > Generate > Sine Wave

Right-Click > Generate > White Noise
swordofkings128
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2012, 04:18:58 PM »

man I bought Sytrus last year when it was on sale for like $49 and it's great. it's pretty much all I use for synth sounds now(if I feel lazy I'll use the 3xOsc)

a lot of the free plugins you can download online are nice, but Sytrus is very stable and efficient, plus it has all kinds of crazy modulation controls and crap.

I plan on getting Morphine sometime this year? if there's a nice sale.

Oh yeah, and I also bought Newtone(the Fl studio auto tune plugin) for $12 last year when they had that pay what you want promotion for it. that thing is sweet, but I need a better mic to do any kind of nice stuff as far as voices go. I auto tuned an accordian thouhg.

Calum Bowen
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2012, 09:01:57 AM »

I'm mostly using logic pro 9 with EWQL and a surprising amount of free soundfonts or recording with a lonely sm57. Trying to get back into using some of logic's own instruments, i've kind of ignored them for ages! I'm sure there's some untapped brilliance to be found there.

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2012, 12:30:45 PM »

been a while since i used logic but the physical modelling synth it has built in is cool. also the reverb effects sound p sweet to these ears.
Sam English
« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2012, 12:42:15 PM »

been a while since i used logic but the physical modelling synth it has built in is cool. also the reverb effects sound p sweet to these ears.

Yeah, I haven't messed with the modelling synth as much as I'd like to but it seems pretty versatile. Also, I'm in love with Space Designer.
Ooops
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2012, 02:16:57 PM »

I bought a crapload of music gear and software, and the only tunes I completed were made exclusively with a Korg Electribe MX SD.  Facepalm

I also could justify my Komplete audio 6 interface and Reaper purchases, because that's what I used to record the EMX  Grin
PaulForey
« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2012, 07:29:39 PM »

It's been all about REAPER and Native Instrument's Komplete 7 for me this year.

I'm using them for very traditional music recording/producing at the moment, and the results sound pretty sweet.

For more game audio/SFX stuff I use BFXR if I'm in a hurry, Pure Data if I want total control and both my Akai LPK25 and Ukulele have proved invaluable game-jam companions.

• KORG Nanokey
    Should have bought the Akai LPK.

Correct Tongue I nearly got the Nanokey until I happened to spot the LPK. Well worth the slight increase in price.

At a recent gig, I spotted an Akai MPK Mini, and if didn't already have an LPK25 I'd be very tempted.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic