Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411576 Posts in 69386 Topics- by 58445 Members - Latest Member: Mansreign

May 05, 2024, 09:34:16 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperDesignBetter historical settings for games
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Author Topic: Better historical settings for games  (Read 10010 times)
fraxcell
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 05, 2010, 03:27:26 PM »

Anything 1920s-1930s
As in The Great Depression?

Tanner
Level 10

MMPHM *GULP*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: May 05, 2010, 05:14:35 PM »

One of the reasons I'm superexcited for Red Dead Redemption is that it's a "Wild West" game set in the early 20th century, so it's more about the West in its death throes than its heyday.

rob
Level 8

all 'bout Zumba (absolute pro @ Zumba)

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 05, 2010, 06:45:40 PM »

I can't think of any games set in Ireland, in any form. I want a colonial terrorism simulator dammit! Like, Just Cause but with stagecoaches, dynamite and muskets. Also, as pointed out already, vikings and pirates are surprisingly underutilized.

team_q
Level 10

Divide by everything is fine and nothing is wrong.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: May 05, 2010, 06:57:33 PM »

But the fictionalized versions of Vikings, Pirates and Cowboys is a better game fodder then the truth.

Dirty Rectangles

_PRINCE OF ARCADE_
Chaoseed
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: May 05, 2010, 09:06:29 PM »

I think there's also a lot of mileage in "alternate history" versions of World War I and II, where one side or the other got hold of some wacky techology (actually tactically viable Zeppelins, or zombies, Daleks, alchemy, genetic manipulation, yadda yadda).

By the way, there was recently a 6-issue comic book series called "Victorian Undead: Sherlock Holmes vs. Zombies".  It was pretty well done.  It felt quite Holmesian.

also, how about India? At any time period, really. I can't think of a single game based in India, srsly.

That's a good point!  There wasn't even an India game in the Caesar/Pharaoh/Emperor series of city-builders.  That's a grave oversight.

There should be more games in ancient Egypt, I think.  There have been a few, but I'm sure there's room for more!

By the way.  More games in Sumer!

William Broom
Level 10

formerly chutup

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 05, 2010, 11:24:30 PM »

A lot of revolutionary time periods would make very interesting settings. Such as the French Revolution - it would be kind of like GTA, but instead of shooting random civilians, you can give them pistols and they will join your cause.
And I'm surprised that, considering how many Americans seemed to be obsessed with the American Revolution and the Civil War, that very few games have been made of them. I guess having muskets which take several minutes to reload isn't really conducive to FPS gameplay Wink

Pishtaco
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: May 05, 2010, 11:44:32 PM »

And I'm surprised that, considering how many Americans seemed to be obsessed with the American Revolution and the Civil War, that very few games have been made of them. I guess having muskets which take several minutes to reload isn't really conducive to FPS gameplay Wink

There's lots and lots of revolution and US civil war games. Quite a few have even come out recently. Mostly not FPSs, though - but you can get a lot more of the war into a strategy game than into an FPS.

hmm
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: May 06, 2010, 02:36:10 PM »

I've always been fascinated by the Mongolians and Ghengis Khan. Biggest empire the world has ever seen. And they rode around on horses doing drive-by archery, popping arrows in some 13th century punks.

Also reading 'Quicksilver' by Neal Stephenson right now. Set in 17th century England. So much happening in such a short space of time; Cromwell, plague, fire (of London), religous war, birth of science, war against the Dutch (several times), tension with the French, pirates and naval warfare.

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 06, 2010, 03:13:21 PM »

One of the reasons I'm superexcited for Red Dead Redemption is that it's a "Wild West" game set in the early 20th century, so it's more about the West in its death throes than its heyday.
It also seems to take on a more "Spaghetti Western" approach to whole wild west thing than most other games I know. I'm surprised not more devs do this actually. Those gritty, utlraviolent Italian westerns from the 60's and 70's just beg to be turned into video games.
LemonScented
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 06, 2010, 03:22:27 PM »

I can't think of any games set in Ireland, in any form.

Wasn't Clive Barker's Undying set in various periods of Irish history? Although admittedly that was more a horror game than anything attempting actual historic-ness.

oyog
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: May 06, 2010, 03:45:55 PM »

I remember playing Sid Meier's Gettysburg when I was in middle school.  I thought it was pretty cool but I didn't have much of an attention span for anything that wasn't AvP or Unreal Tournament.

I should play that again...

I'm fascinated by mythologies from ancient civilization, both active and dead.  Hindu mythology is so full of potential game material I'm surprised it's not used as inspiration more often.  I suppose games coming out of western civilization are more often than not going to draw from western mythologies.

I'd be interested to see a game inspired by cross continent/over seas trading from later BC eras.
Mikademus
Level 10

The Magical Owl

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 07, 2010, 08:24:15 AM »

I can't think of any games set in Ireland, in any form.
There is a Leprechaun in King's Quest Ninja

Why is present-day Germany the theatre for so few games?

\\\"There\\\'s a tendency among the press to attribute the creation of a game to a single person,\\\" says Warren Spector, creator of Thief and Deus Ex. --IGN<br />My compilation of game engines for indies
Pishtaco
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: May 07, 2010, 08:45:30 AM »

I can't think of any games set in Ireland, in any form. I want a colonial terrorism simulator dammit! Like, Just Cause but with stagecoaches, dynamite and muskets. Also, as pointed out already, vikings and pirates are surprisingly underutilized.

Balor of the evil eye? It's some kind of old PC game about mythical Ireland, that I could never get to run properly.

I think there were a couple of Total War expansions focusing only on the British Isles (and obviously lots of strategy games with all of Europe, but maybe less to say about Ireland in particular).
« Last Edit: May 07, 2010, 08:51:10 AM by Pishtaco » Logged

jpgray
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 07, 2010, 11:01:37 AM »

... Sid Meier's Gettysburg ... I should play that again...

If I remember, last time I attempted to play that game, it was irrevocably tied to Windows '95 and wouldn't run on my Windows 2000 machine.  :-(  Which is horrible.
Pishtaco
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: May 07, 2010, 12:46:26 PM »

I remember playing Sid Meier's Gettysburg when I was in middle school.  I thought it was pretty cool but I didn't have much of an attention span for anything that wasn't AvP or Unreal Tournament.

I should play that again...

There's a Gettysburg wargame coming out right now, Scourge of War: Gettysburg.

h_double
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 19, 2010, 08:49:45 AM »

I think a gritty, stylized 1950s (or early 1960s) noir / beat generation setting (think "Touch of Evil") could work well for a game, maybe mix in some cold war espionage.
agj
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: May 27, 2010, 07:05:12 PM »

Scrap the usual suspect! Chilean got some awesome sauce!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mapuche

Have you heard of 'Cayupi vs. los chupacabras invasores'?

http://studiodz.blogspot.com/2008/05/cayupi-vs-los-chupacabras-invasores.html

Not sure how worthy a game it is, as I haven't played it, but at least it's got the camp?

N. Crayon
Level 0

A man of little talent.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: June 23, 2010, 11:18:12 AM »

I'd like to see a couple of games set in the African Campaign of World War 2, although I know that WWII is severely overrepresented in a lot of ways. But it's always the US vs Germany, and rarely any of the other campaigns. It's really unfortunate.

Also, a game set in a non-European medieval period would be interesting, especially if it was a fantasy game. After all, how many games can be set in a pseudo English swords and chivalry setting already with orcs and deep forests and giant spiders? Sure, everybody loves Lord of the Rings, but is that all fantasy games are ever going to be? Irritating...
Pishtaco
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: June 23, 2010, 03:08:20 PM »

I'd like to see a couple of games set in the African Campaign of World War 2, although I know that WWII is severely overrepresented in a lot of ways. But it's always the US vs Germany, and rarely any of the other campaigns. It's really unfortunate.

I don't see where you're coming from here. I haven't noticed any shortage of ww2 games with North African scenarios (I admit I haven't seen anything in East Africa (apart from Hearts of Iron)), or not about US vs Germany, over the last decade.

Ego_Shiner
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 23, 2010, 04:35:08 PM »

i think they should make a game where you go into various time periods and fuck around with stuff from different periods. like a sandbox darkest of days sort of

Lo
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic