Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411576 Posts in 69386 Topics- by 58444 Members - Latest Member: darkcitien

May 05, 2024, 02:28:06 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperDesignSame Game, Different Gamepay Styles
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Same Game, Different Gamepay Styles  (Read 1791 times)
Sorano
Level 6

Game Designer / Double Stallion Games

View Profile WWW
« on: July 02, 2010, 09:32:23 AM »

Hello everyone. I am presently doing research on games that offer complementary gameplay modes that are connected yet completely different.

I think the best example I can give is Henry Hatsworth and the Puzzling Adventure for DS. It is both an old-school platformer and puzzle-action game. Watch this video  (

) and see for yourself. It's a-ma-zing.

I am currently working on a puzzle action game that combines strong elements Arkanoid, Tetris and Puyo Pop. The player will switch between two modes: one where he destroys blocks or groups of same-colored blocks, the other where he deposits falling pieces. My ultimate goal is to find a way to convey the playstyle switch in an enjoyable and natural process.

Does anyone know of any games, indie or otherwise, that offer this kind of experience?
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2010, 09:37:23 AM »

bayou billy, perhaps

Sorano
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2010, 10:10:58 AM »

bayou billy, perhaps

Interesting! I wasn't aware of that game.
Derakon
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2010, 10:18:25 AM »

Some games will do something similar by having multiple characters available. In this case, it's not that the game supports multiple simultaneous genres, but that the same game can be played through with different idiosyncracies that create subtle or not-so-subtle differences in how the player has to approach problems.

This can be as simple as having a "Mario" all-rounder character, a character that's fast but weak, etc. etc. or can branch out to having different characters take entirely different routes through the same set of levels. Bunny Must Die / Chelsea and the Seven Devils is an example of the latter; Bunny plays aggressively but is limited mobility-wise; Chelsea is less of a powerhouse but has much more versatility in her spells.

I haven't played Henry Hatsworth, but while I like the aesthetic style I feel like the puzzle aspects were tacked on. You don't play both the puzzle and the platforming at the same time; the puzzle mode is simply something to do to make the platforming mode a bit easier by giving you access to some powerups. If you had to juggle both constantly then I'd find it more interesting due to the split-brain requirement.

An example of that latter that I think works well is Puzzle Pirates. As a crewmember aboard a ship, you have to perform one of several different kinds of puzzles to keep the ship running -- carpentry, sailing, bilge pumping, etc. If you're also the captain of the ship, then you may need to do one of these puzzles while also navigating the ship in battle (which requires inputting a series of movements and signaling when to fire the cannons). You have to be able to split your focus between the normal puzzle and the ship combat "puzzle", which is a great exercise in multitasking.

Heck, I've tried running an entire ship on my own...that is hard.
Sorano
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2010, 10:43:06 AM »

If you had to juggle both constantly then I'd find it more interesting due to the split-brain requirement.

In my game (it's called Flubs, released in a few weeks), I am automating the switch between modes (destruction/construction) to make it easier for casual players. Each gameplay mechanics are tied to a single mode. It comes out slightly forced.

So I'm left wondering if it's the mode switch that's being communicated badly or the mechanic that's just simply being broken or not refined enough.

Heck, I've tried running an entire ship on my own...that is hard.

Dear GOD, I can imagine.
Balrog
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2010, 11:29:53 AM »

Contra games tend to have side-scrolling shooter sections with top-down or pseudo-3D sections interspersed. The Sparkster/Rocket Knight games have 2D sections with shmup sections at different points in the game.

Sorano
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2010, 11:55:51 AM »

These are great examples so far!  Smiley Anyone know of games that actually switch up gameplay style and mechanics in real time?

Maybe Henry Hatsworth was actually innovating, because I can't think of any other game that does something similar to it.
Kren
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2010, 12:34:33 PM »

The problem I see with this types of game is that, the combination of gameplay might turn the game into something weird, and not fun at all, for the example in the case of Henry Hatsworth, I played it, and apart from the intro being too long, I found it weird to constantly change gameplay. I mean I wasn't able to enjoy the plataformer aspect since Ihad to change to the puzzle aspects and I can't enjoy the puzzle aspects because I had to change to the plataformer, not sure perhaps it just a me thing.

About this topic, hmm I think the main problem designers find in this idea of combining two games in one is how to make it look natural, and not annoying.

Btw, now I gotta replay Hatsworth game ;P, to see if I can get used to the mix of styles.
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2010, 01:14:08 PM »

Maybe Henry Hatsworth was actually innovating, because I can't think of any other game that does something similar to it.
It's hardly unique. Here's just a few examples

Uncharted 1 alternates platforming and shooting but never does both at the same time.

GTA- driving and playing on foot

Nier takes all kinds of left and right turns with its gameplay. There's even a short text adventure(!) sequence.

Saira- platforming and puzzles

Hacking Minigames in System Shock and Bioshock

Rise & Fall: Civilizations At War- RTS/Hack'n'slash hybrid.

laserghost
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2010, 02:07:31 PM »

ActRaiser had action platforming segments, then would switch to a civilization building game.
sodap
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2010, 05:18:40 PM »

tuper tario tros

http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/522276

gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2010, 08:01:59 PM »

Kirby super star deluxe, layered gameplay madness  Crazy