Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411576 Posts in 69386 Topics- by 58444 Members - Latest Member: darkcitien

May 05, 2024, 07:23:37 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperDesignAwesome Ways to Die... In Games
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Awesome Ways to Die... In Games  (Read 5127 times)
ink.inc
« on: July 06, 2010, 10:32:04 PM »

While working on my game, I realized just how many satisfying, entertaining, tremendously horrible ways there were to kill off your players. These are a few that I came up with/borrowed from other media.

-Getting pulled into a meat grinder
-Getting shanked and pinned to a wall (specifically like Wash from Firefly)
-Decapitation (a classic. never gets old!)
-Splattered by falling rocks
-Splattered by wall trap
-Pulled apart like in District 9
-Gettin 'Sploded
          -eating grenades
          -piercing, explosive ammo
          -run over
-Pulled Underwater
-Getting sucked into a jet engine while sky diving
-Melted in Acid

List a couple of your faves!
Jonathan Whiting
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2010, 11:14:21 PM »

Nethack deaths are the best, I quote: "trying to tin a cockatrice corpse without gloves"

Ashkin
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2010, 12:46:30 AM »

Although rare, getting swallowed by a shark/large fish that jumps out of the water and eats you in midair can be terribly satisfying.
Sorano
Level 6

Game Designer / Double Stallion Games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2010, 04:42:24 AM »

For some reason, I am always disturbed when my character gets petrified. It greatly unnerves me, I think it's awesome.

fraxcell
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2010, 06:30:24 AM »

I love the totally crazy deaths you can get in Spelunky or Dwarf Fortress. Like in Dwarf Fortress, I'd find some skeleton of a Dwarf who got trapped in a pit a few months or seasons after he died, or in adventure mode, where you're heart gets ripped out by a wolf or your brains start coming out or something.

ness io kain
Level 6

died and is a ghost.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2010, 10:24:01 AM »

Nethack deaths are the best, I quote: "trying to tin a cockatrice corpse without gloves"

YES.
A huge part of why I keep playing that game is all of the awesome deaths. I'll never be good enough to actually make it far in the game... So I play crazy and take risks, because I don't care if I die as long as I die gloriously (or hilariously, which is probably even better).

My music.
If your Twitter doesn't have enough depression and awkward pomposity, here you go.
moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2010, 10:34:11 AM »

pressure room with a rocket launcher in the middle and a depressurization button on a outside wall (with a window)

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
Sorano
Level 6

Game Designer / Double Stallion Games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2010, 10:55:21 AM »

Dying from asphyxiation in the vacuum of space.

So traumatizing.
slembcke
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2010, 11:19:47 AM »

Ragdolls can be satisfying (not even death necessarily) when you have a lot of corners involved. UT2k4 had a basketball like game mode. In order to jump through one particular hoop, you had to jump out over a deep pit riddled with girders. After scoring you got to watch the ragdoll play a game of plinko on the way down. Also satisfying is the vaporization effect.

For the Disney web game we worked on, we wanted to put portals at the bottom of pits, but it was decided by the suits that it was too confusing. Basically instead of dying, you fall into a portal that seamlessly plops you back out into an earlier section of the game. It was a pretty sweet effect when we had it though as there was always a swirling hole through the blackness directly below you.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2010, 07:43:47 PM by slembcke » Logged

Scott - Howling Moon Software Chipmunk Physics Library - A fast and lightweight 2D physics engine.
MaloEspada
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2010, 11:22:41 AM »

Play Tower of Heaven. There are some kickass deaths there.
PsySal
Level 8

Yaay!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2010, 11:45:46 AM »

Once in nethack I was killed by my own children, who were gargoyles. I polymorphed into a gargoyle, laid a bunch of eggs in a room in minetown, locked the room, forgot about it, came back, "why's that door closed?", opened the door, started to get attacked by half of 9 gargoyles, zapped them with wand of sleeping, bolt missed the gargoyle, missed a gargoyle, hit the wall, bounced, missed a gargoyle again, missed the first gargoyle again, hit me, and do you want your possessions identified?
ness io kain
Level 6

died and is a ghost.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2010, 12:25:06 PM »

Play Tower of Heaven. There are some kickass deaths there.
True, but that's mostly just the animations... Conceptually, they're all smiting. Are we talking about cool ideas or cool execution?

PsySal, that's amazing.

My music.
If your Twitter doesn't have enough depression and awkward pomposity, here you go.
TheLastBanana
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2010, 11:16:33 PM »

Having your flesh melted off by acid is always pretty terrible.
Also, dying in lava.  Not like, singing your buttcheeks on lava like in Mario 64, but an actual animation of somebody sinking into lava and bursting into flames.  Screaming is probably involved.
Sir Raptor
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2010, 03:32:26 AM »

I once died in that game from kicking too many walls. Seriously. I died from kicking walls.
ness io kain
Level 6

died and is a ghost.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2010, 03:42:53 AM »

Oh, yep. That happens to me all the time. Sometimes I do it on purpose.

My music.
PsySal
Level 8

Yaay!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2010, 08:57:46 AM »

Aha, you know you can s)earch for doors right?
Aquanoctis
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2010, 01:27:58 AM »

Has anyone seen these? They're from Heart of Darkness:

And that game is E-rated... Shocked

Also, the deaths from Limbo look quite...inventive? They're pretty gruesome considering it's a black and white 2d platformer.
ink.inc
« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2010, 08:00:03 AM »

Has anyone seen these? They're from Heart of Darkness:

And that game is E-rated... Shocked

Whoa. Those are... inventive. This was an E rated game?
ness io kain
Level 6

died and is a ghost.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2010, 02:23:26 PM »

That video was amazingly inspiring, Aquanoctis!
The next time I do a game that requires death animations, I'm going to try to make them at least half as cool as those are... If I even succeed on that level, I'll be happy.

Aha, you know you can s)earch for doors right?
If I'm going to die early anyway, which way is going to be more fun?
Like I said, I take stupid risks.  Cheesy

My music.
TeeGee
Level 10

Huh?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2010, 12:19:24 AM »

The old 2d Prince Of Persia games were pretty much a festival of gruesome and creative deaths.

I vote for getting splattered after trying to fly a magic carpet without opening the ceiling first as the most creative player death ever.

Tom Grochowiak
MoaCube | Twitter | Facebook
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic