Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411716 Posts in 69402 Topics- by 58450 Members - Latest Member: FezzikTheGiant

May 21, 2024, 04:29:50 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsHiddenThe DromeValley of the DeadUnpaid WorkA different take on TCGs
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: A different take on TCGs  (Read 1752 times)
Chill3r
« on: July 02, 2012, 11:06:48 AM »

Hey guys,

For quite some time now I had the idea of creating my own trading card game since I thought that most of the ones I playes had some rather boring and slow mechanics.

Since I am programming for several years now and always played with the idea of creating a game here is my attempt:

What I need:
- a designer (for the cards)
- another java programmer (best with experience in networking and possibly android development)
- someone to create a soundtrack/background music
- more people with ideas and motivation to contribute

What the core mechanics will be like:
- normal 1v1 fight (perhaps option for 2v2)
- set in a fantasy universe with a lot of lore
- player has one master/boss creature and several minions
- minions are divided into :
   - warriors (basic fighters)
   - creatures (stronger attack / less defense)
   - mages (played in a different row on the battlefield and able to
               cast specific spells)
   - ranged fighters (played in the 2nd row but only have basic        
                        attacks)
   - ability cards (used by the boss creature / powerful spells)
- each card is unique and can level up, increasing stats chosen by the player
- mages can learn different spells making them either healers or damage dealers
- a marketplace to trade cards with other players (if we manage to get a stable online function)

...and this is only the basic concept, so feel free to contribute and help out if you like.
Any assistance is welcome and though this is unpaid work, there is the possibility of sharing profit from ad revenue if we can get the online functions to work.

Gentleman
louisdeb
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2012, 02:22:48 PM »

What kind of music? I'm happy trying my hand at some chiptunes for you if that's what you're looking for.
Hangedman
Level 10

Two milkmen go comedy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2012, 02:56:24 PM »

You've got ideas, and you're a programmer. That's definitely a step above most people who have ideas.
But everyone's got ideas. Vague concepts to massive design documents, and ideas aren't games.

If all you have is an idea and a promise of possible future revenue maybe, it'll be difficult to get people to help beyond those who are interested in the concept, and they may not stay working on it if it doesn't seem to be going anywhere. TCGs in particular only work if they're well-balanced and have a variety of emergent playstyles based on the central mechanics, and thus are hard to make.

If you're a programmer, you can make a prototype of your card game, just a simple one. Platform is irrelevant, you just have to show that it works. Because if it's fun, it won't matter that the graphics are junky placeholders or that it has no music.

Until you can do that, it will probably be tough, because what you're asking right now is for other people to make your game for you.

AUST
ITIAMOSIWE (Play it on NG!) - Vision
There but for the grace of unfathomably complex math go I
Chill3r
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2012, 05:04:51 AM »

@louisdeb: I thought more of some kind of atmospherical background music, but thanks anyways...

@hangedman: Thanks for your criticism. I am alrady working on the prototype, but thought it would be better if I get more members to the project to not get focussed on what I thinks is a great game mechanic but in reality is just crap I made up. I might upload some pics of the prototype in a few days when I have some better graphics (it´s mostly text output/input for testing atm).

UPDATE:
- Screenshots are to be expected over the next couple of days.
- Still need some team members Wink
louisdeb
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2012, 04:00:52 AM »

Well I can try my hand at background music, what style is it, you say fantasy, but would the music be more sci fi, or medieval, or what?? Pretty keen to start making some music again but need some motivation, so even if you don't use it ultimately I'd be happy to make some.
Chill3r
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2012, 04:14:17 AM »

@louisdeb: I already found a composer. Sorry mate. Sad
kamac
Level 10

Notoriously edits his posts

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2012, 11:00:55 AM »

Oh.. and please post a devlog! This idea seems nice Wink

If this wouldn't be Java but LUA or C++, I'd be probably interested.

Good luck anyways.

louisdeb
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2012, 12:48:36 PM »

@louisdeb: I already found a composer. Sorry mate. Sad

No problem :D
emilche
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2012, 09:44:36 AM »

im quite new to concept art and illustrations but you can look at my deviantart and see some of my past works. i would gain pretty uch experience and training from this project so if you want i would like to join in Smiley

http://emilch.deviantart.com/

\\\"Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.\\\" A Einstein
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic