Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411560 Posts in 69384 Topics- by 58443 Members - Latest Member: junkmail

May 03, 2024, 01:38:56 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperDesignThat was a bad idea
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9
Print
Author Topic: That was a bad idea  (Read 11968 times)
Mariofan0
Level 0

Your Local Nintendo Fanatic

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: September 18, 2015, 11:28:03 AM »

I wouldn't know, as I've never enjoyed Castlevaina to begin with...

RNG Based Key Item Drops, that are necessary for progression though the main storyline of any genre game, would be a terrible idea wouldn't you agree? I'm gonna do this in a game one day just to see everyones reaction, because I'm EVIL!

You wanted a signature? Boy I bet you're dissapointed.
EvilDingo
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #61 on: September 18, 2015, 11:39:39 PM »

RNG Based Key Item Drops

I hope that's hypothetical!

Cobralad
Cowardly Baby
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: September 19, 2015, 12:47:46 AM »

woah, i expected intentionaly bad ideas here but people give bad advice like for real
Mariofan0
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: September 19, 2015, 06:30:02 AM »

RNG Based Key Item Drops

I hope that's hypothetical!

Yep its hypothetical, honestly not sure if there have been any devs who have done it, but I honestly hope for their sake they never try something like that unless the Key Item isn't necessary to progress.

gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: September 19, 2015, 08:57:15 AM »

until someone made that game and is immensely popular and we all shake our head in disbelief (although that mean to find the fantasy that work with this)

Dacke
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: September 19, 2015, 09:18:51 AM »

Grind until you find an item you need. Doesn't sound too strange. It would be something like a fetch quest for randomly dropping item(s) that gates progress until you complete that quest. You can probably find something like that in real games.

programming • free software
animal liberation • veganism
anarcho-communism • intersectionality • feminism
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: September 19, 2015, 09:44:25 AM »

You can probably find something like that in real games.

such as 90% of all MMOs ever made
Dacke
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: September 19, 2015, 10:27:02 AM »

Are they usually gating, though? The only MMO I've played was WoW on free trial years ago, but I can't remember there being any obligatory fetch quests. Is that common in other MMOs?

Mariofan0
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: September 19, 2015, 11:03:19 AM »

Heres another bad Idea, giving an item drop a 666% Drop Chance, imagine the hell that'd be unleashed upon the gaming world.

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: September 19, 2015, 11:12:25 AM »

Are they usually gating, though? The only MMO I've played was WoW on free trial years ago, but I can't remember there being any obligatory fetch quests. Is that common in other MMOs?

WoW is literally all obligatory fetch quests haha (well outside of raids and pvp i guess). the standard WoW quest is collecting x number of random loot drops from a monster.
Dacke
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: September 19, 2015, 11:17:24 AM »

Yeah, it's a common quest type. But you can choose which ones to do and grind in other ways if you want to, right? It's not like they act as a locked doors preventing you from going to new places, right? Unlike a locked door, which presumably would prevent you from going forward.

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: September 19, 2015, 11:22:11 AM »

i guess but there's no advantage to grinding without quests (afaik)
Dacke
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: September 19, 2015, 11:48:14 AM »

I guess. But that's still pretty different from random key drops. Not the first time we disagree on how similar/different mechanics are in a game, hehe

ProgramGamer
Administrator
Level 10

aka Mireille

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: September 20, 2015, 12:58:30 PM »

Well, in a game where your your quests' item drops are randomized, you usually have a set number of items to find, and the randomness of the drops really only increases that number by a certain margin. But in a regular game, the randomness of item drops means that you potentially have to fight a strong monster a random number of times in order to progress, which adds absolutely no value to your game and is extremely frustrating.

Also WoW is mostly just a time waster, so bad RNG on item drops just means more time spent on that task, which is no big deal. But in a regular game, say, like Dark Souls, the ammount of concentration you have to put into beating an enemy is exhausting, so having random drops for those just makes it that much more frustrating all the while, like I said earlier, adding no value to your game.

Seriously, imagine having to fight a boss 3 or 4 times just because the item drop rate is 33%. You would break your computer.

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: September 20, 2015, 01:45:20 PM »

Also WoW is mostly just a time waster, so bad RNG on item drops just means more time spent on that task, which is no big deal. But in a regular game, say, like Dark Souls, the ammount of concentration you have to put into beating an enemy is exhausting, so having random drops for those just makes it that much more frustrating all the while, like I said earlier, adding no value to your game.

dark souls has some gear (not a lot) that you can only get as a random drop and obv upgrade materials. it's not very exhausting killing the same easy enemies over and over tho, just kind of boring lol.
ProgramGamer
Administrator
Level 10

aka Mireille

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: September 20, 2015, 02:14:00 PM »

Yea but I meant bosses and mini-bosses. And to a n00b like me normal enemies are still a challenge.

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: September 20, 2015, 02:18:21 PM »

good thing there are no random drops from bosses then.
ProgramGamer
Administrator
Level 10

aka Mireille

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: September 20, 2015, 02:35:23 PM »

No but I know that there are random drops from bosses in DS, they're just not key items, at least as far as I know.

Edit: If you want a tip to make your game better, try to couple your randomness with a specific in-game action. For an example, the odds of getting a rare item could rise if you hit a boss in a particular, risky way, or your odds could drop if you camp a lot. Ideas to make the randomness fall on skill as well at least a bit. Monster Hunter does something analogous to this I believe by making items drop by breaking specific parts of monsters.

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: September 20, 2015, 03:12:18 PM »

No but I know that there are random drops from bosses in DS, they're just not key items, at least as far as I know.

nope not really

all random boss loot (which is like 3 or 4 bosses maybe) can be obtained through other means.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2015, 03:20:05 PM by Silbereisen » Logged
baconman
Level 10

Design Guru

View Profile WWW
« Reply #79 on: September 20, 2015, 08:06:58 PM »

Shocked

The worst of all? "This game has been greenlit by the community". WHY?? I can even understand the "dev" point of view, he wasted 100 bucks for a quick joke. Some would say it's abusing the system, myself included, but I don't even mind something to giggle about while browing steam greenlight games. But it has been greenlit. By the community. People voted "Yes, I would pay money for this". It's the people voting that perplexes me. Is this mass retardation or am I missing something? I must be missing something.

WOW. Not only am I calling this as a major win; but honestly - it's like the worst-case scenario of my own main project to boot. >.< OHHHH NOOOO...

Except those are three games I'm not attempting to redux. Not even attempting to attempt.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic