Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411562 Posts in 69384 Topics- by 58443 Members - Latest Member: junkmail

May 03, 2024, 07:00:46 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsTech Antiga - my first terrible fps
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Tech Antiga - my first terrible fps  (Read 5677 times)
indominator
Level 1

?????

View Profile
« on: June 26, 2017, 12:09:12 PM »

This used to be a fps, now this a tunnel game with ships and lasers. i am now doing the enemies.

this gif shows all the progress.

the level is made on a bezier code, then there was the controls and lastly the aim reticle. now its the enemies that i must do and later the lazers for destroying them.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2018, 09:18:37 AM by indominator » Logged

indominator
Level 1

?????

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2017, 03:08:28 PM »

I tried importing a zombie, sadly the fbx wasnt behaving well with my bones :/

also i am making a new model for the gun, it will be interesting

also i am coding it, it will be a little bit procedural but not too much, if its too procedural there could be some OP weapon parts, or some terrible ones

indominator
Level 1

?????

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2017, 10:04:03 AM »

I have done some modelling, after pressing Q you will get a random assortement of energy pistol parts and a random assortment of pistol types, i am using an assortment of enums and variables to to know when the weapon is burst, automatic or singleshot. i plan on adding more things like ammo type.

this is the illustration for the code, its simple but it gets things done, also i like coding variables for future plans beforehand so i know what i am aiming at later, i dont think i will work on complex bullet stuff, so right now its normal bullets with nothing else

also instead of doing everything completely random i decided on randomizing the parts

also this is the first try for spawning enemies, [System.Serializable] is the best thing ever also i made a way to count the wave and go spawning them. my ideal level will be destiny old russia, specially the zone after you encounter the first hive, i just love that zone so much, sometimes i felt like the only person who played destiny just for the patrols, trying to explore the world was so fun. but my game will be just a basic shooting one, and it will evolve slowly into just a fun shooting game, sometimes i am working on some projects or i am sending my cv to companies to get completely ignored :/ ,

my next schedule of this project is: 1. modelling the new level(basic model with basic texture) 2. setting up the game and have a playable version 3. remodel the enemies(and make basic textures for them) 4.add enemy type that shoots and make a bigger diference between the witch and this new unit, the witch will become AOE magic. 5. improve level in art and think about faction wars(enemies figthing each other)

indominator
Level 1

?????

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2017, 04:00:01 PM »

check out my terrible art skills, and my terrible game. link for demo:

https://indominator.itch.io/tech-antiga

also, my enemy models are terrible,i need to fix them and including the animations, one bug that happened was that i acidentally animated the position of the pivot of the 3d model and that changed the model... that was a bug that took me 1 hour, now i only have some things to change. especially the art. i am thinking of remaking the enemies from zero and fix how the game feels(which is something i am terrible at, despite loving fps). i could focus on fixing the gameplay, which could be interesting or fixing the characters.... i dont know.... i feel like changing the characters first and then coming back to the gameplay... so, if you want to give me ideas, please feel free XD

indominator
Level 1

?????

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2017, 03:58:42 PM »

working on the art update, i just finished the modelling, actually it is the first time i tried putting images to help me model, and its super helpful

i started from the head as a cube, and went all the way to the "finished product", this will be used for all enemies, what will be different is animations and textures.

indominator
Level 1

?????

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2017, 04:13:02 PM »

I have been remodelling the basic enemy, its gonna be a zombie, i still need to fix its animations and do a basic texturing, it looks bad but i am thinking in the future of hiring someone to do the art, modelling and rigging, rigging is so hard oh well... its time to code and texturize the new enemy, hopefully this will become a model that will look good with texture.

Also, theres the basic level with its basic textures, in the future i will split the level in parts and try making it look way better, right now thats as far as i go

indominator
Level 1

?????

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2017, 04:29:05 PM »

more updates XD. I am working on the quest system, as commented in the feedback topic( also i need to play some more games from there, i feel burned from my games :/) 2 of the games i do for influence is Consortium and Californium. the first one feels really good, the second not so much, but its 2 different approaches that feel interesting. but like an addict destiny player imma try still something of all of those but together with the awesome patrol system(just layzing around and doing anything you want, any mission, anything)

also i need to find an easier place to put the images besides imgur or discord servers. well... as you can see, that looks similar to my old zombie, but trust me, its a new version, i just need to fix the legs, also i kept openning the wrong file in unity so my blender files kept losing progress, i am so smart :/

i am probably gonna put a Civilization Battle royale theme to the story, and hopefully imma go and have to get some help from them and make something interesting

Tuba
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2017, 04:46:15 PM »

Interesting thread. Nice of you to be showing the whole process Smiley

Good luck!  Beer!

indominator
Level 1

?????

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2017, 05:05:05 PM »

Interesting thread. Nice of you to be showing the whole process Smiley

Good luck!  Beer!

Thanks XD

ok, so far last updates: quest system, i made a video showing how it functions, right now its about fetching things on the map and returning, thats it, simple but it is very maleable to input anything I want.

this is the video of the game running, its weird and terribly made, but its a quest system, the more i look at it, the more i feel like removing the shooting system...i think i should do a platformer or a game of some sorts focused on narrative with action to complement it.

[System.Serializable] is a divine gift of god. expect next update to be me deciding how the action mechanic is going to develop and a look at it. i dont know if i just simplify the shooting mechanic(i tried to make it somewhat complex) or make a basic melee system. or do something weird,

quick update, i am thinking of doing an update on one of my old games, but i think imma fix this first
« Last Edit: July 22, 2017, 07:26:49 AM by indominator » Logged

indominator
Level 1

?????

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2017, 03:29:18 PM »

today i have been remodelling the basic hand i did before, i plan on using it as the new "gun", it will be some magicky futuristic thingamagick that i think will solve the action mechanic system. i tried previously by going all aboot weapon parts and they randomly keep assembling always diferrent. my mistake was trying to make a complex fluff system without getting the basic mechanics truly in place. i tried too much for my first shooter :/

also this is a pic of how its looking like

UI will be redone. i think something simple like my first official 3d game could be interesting, i will try it and see what we can do with it. my first game was somewhat confusing, a strategy game in first person where you used magic to summon zombies, now you are going to just use simple magic, and there might be some AI companions to help you. well, lets try making something XD
« Last Edit: August 04, 2017, 03:11:00 PM by indominator » Logged

indominator
Level 1

?????

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2017, 02:59:48 PM »

so i was doing some side project which is automation of video making and streamlinging of it. as you can see i used scrollviews and other kind of stuff. you was a button to setup image or video and then it would be basically a narrated or subtitled stream of videos or images. lots of stuff i made and i think imma make one of those for making the quest dialogues because unity editor is pretty terrible, and also theres terrible abilitie on how to control it.

so i am going to make a push with a new build, then i am going to implement this "canvas editor for easier quest making and then i... i dont know what to do else, i was thinking of making another new game, a racing game just like racing lagoon for the ps1 or going back to older games and working on them. i am still undecided on to what do next. i think i could technically keep working on this project, but i dont know i feel like it has no real identity or what it wants to be. maybe something like this:

or this

and change the hand to a normal sprite, possibly the hand is ok, but that was probably more about trying animating something like hands with powers or something. oh well, this will become interesting whatever it becomes.

i also need to find out which kind of mechanic i am really good at making

also quick edit;

i changed the UI.

there is a compass showing the direction of the quest objective or 'furthest' quest giver and remove ammo counter. now you have to charge the magic and release when that green counter is full. you have 2 magics, you that sets fire around you that gets in your enemies burning them(and they also transmit the fire while burning so throw it when they nearby) and also there is a missile magic that is not very good :/ so now i have to change it. firstly i was thinking of removing the magic missile and adding some minions but that is what i tried and failed in one of my previous project, so now i have to do something else. i will try to change the mechanics and merge it with the new aesthetic, that can be anything, but it must merge well the story and also the mechanic....

« Last Edit: August 04, 2017, 03:18:37 PM by indominator » Logged

indominator
Level 1

?????

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2017, 02:58:46 PM »

ok, so i tottaly failed on making a canvas to use inside the scene viewer before being setup, now i am doing different. before i was doing some projects were i was parsing the text to get a gigantic list of stuff, changing texts, fixing them, adding stuff, and in the end making from a csv file to a lua file to implement inside civ5, that stuff was used for the civbr from reddit, it diddnt work really well but it was a beggining, so this new system, although weird, is way easier for me to use and look than the shitty unity editor which is freaking terrible.

Soon imma start Computer sciences in college, my second college, initially i did game design, and you can see how well it did for me :/ well such is life and we must keep fighting on ;p

in my next part of this project imma simplify this system even further and make the quest system even better and become something like a wave system, becoming in the future almost like a true quest system, i expect to finish this into next sunday

indominator
Level 1

?????

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2017, 02:38:35 PM »

The 'finished' level

I had a whole post written, well.. :/

Ok, now i have one thing left to say, making this project has been interesting, and i am going to take these lessons so far and my latest quest settuping lessons and code into my first game, Rex Obscura, also with what i discovered about UI. It will be interesting. Imma try before that though, releasing a workable and playable version of this project just for it to be away. And i will go and texturize this game and add the last 3d models.

simplified UI

3d or 2d, that is the question... i really need a new wacom, mine is bugged :/

indominator
Level 1

?????

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2017, 01:11:45 PM »

I have been testing the game, and there were some nasty bugs. Besides that i have been reading some good light noves, they good. and have a image of how the level will look like.

yes, lots of unmodelled stuff, but thats something i will change soon

indominator
Level 1

?????

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2017, 02:14:13 PM »

I AM NOT DEAD XD yet :/

I have started my second college, computer sciences, and after studying some JAVA i made this:

this (this is the link to the pure code) :/

well, it uses part of my quest code i have been making in this game, the text parser i have made before and some minor ideas i've had before. well, this became what i wanted it to become, to make this work you will have to open the code and manually input the direction where the 'game level' is stored and create it manually, there is no game but this machine of running and setting up the game..... i like doing this part, its super rewarding, art and level design just feel so.... meh, i know, i know, its important, but not something i can work with

indominator
Level 1

?????

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2017, 04:17:10 PM »

I have been trying some of my hand in fileoutping some objetos and inputing them.... what i discovered is that i really dont want to do a zzork style game, too much plaaning.... imma go back to my other side project related to this. i will add some things related to try saving stuff

indominator
Level 1

?????

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2018, 08:17:21 AM »

New Update. I am doing some changes in the game, imma keep working on this one but i dont really now where to go with this, so i decided to do some weird tube game, because why not...

For this, i use the spline code from catlikecoding tutorials. and then i use a basic cubic bezier curve formula to find poins in the line. i got the formula from wikipedia, and applied it after some mistakes

indominator
Level 1

?????

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2018, 10:50:22 AM »

So, this is the progress report.

And this is the end result, pretty good so far. now i need to figure out what to do next. probably i will fix the color or texture and make the camera fly through. and probably i will make a rail shooter

indominator
Level 1

?????

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2018, 11:06:12 AM »

More Updates, soon

indominator
Level 1

?????

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2018, 01:56:10 PM »

We have a new way of building the mesh, it makes one whole mesh instead of many. i kept the old way saved just in case. So far this has been awesome project. Tomorrow i plan on changing the player controls, then thinking how the enemies are going to work.

After all that will be the shooting mechanics and lastly an endless mode

and a weird effect, lol. it kinda reminds me of sonics bonus stage, those were fun

Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic