Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411582 Posts in 69386 Topics- by 58445 Members - Latest Member: Mansreign

May 06, 2024, 02:17:10 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralMy theory on Unity and commercial engines' popularity
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7
Print
Author Topic: My theory on Unity and commercial engines' popularity  (Read 5800 times)
gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: August 13, 2015, 07:01:27 AM »

Also, most writers don't know the many intricate rules relating to their language, instead relying on an intuitive understanding which often makes their prose more poetic. Writers rarely have a detailed, meticulous, academic knowledge of linguistics and etymology, and if they do it often makes their books worse (Tolkien, for example)
Poetry is not an instable technical system.

Ouch, that's so untrue, when it works it give illusion of stability, but arriving at that point is mostly explosive, oups you run out of word of a certain length, alliteration, rhymes, because of grammar and dictionary? well that's a whole paragraph that dies. Maintaining those iambic pentameter  is a delicate balance, that's why not everyone is Shakespeare and computer take longer that heat death to produce similar works ...

Cobralad
Cowardly Baby
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: August 13, 2015, 07:06:08 AM »

they also have bayonetta fro platinum games bayonetta
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: August 13, 2015, 07:09:56 AM »

Also, most writers don't know the many intricate rules relating to their language, instead relying on an intuitive understanding which often makes their prose more poetic. Writers rarely have a detailed, meticulous, academic knowledge of linguistics and etymology, and if they do it often makes their books worse (Tolkien, for example)

at the same time trying to gain your own deeper understanding and coming up with your own conclusions sometimes leads you down paths that you wouldn't go down if you did things the traditional way or used existing tools.
Schoq
Level 10

♡∞

View Profile WWW
« Reply #83 on: August 13, 2015, 07:21:03 AM »

the greenlight submission fee is curation

if a developer doesn't believe in their game enough to back it with 100 dollars then you can be sure valve do not want to try selling it on their store.
no this is not what curation means

♡ ♥ make games, not money ♥ ♡
Dragonmaw
« Reply #84 on: August 13, 2015, 08:28:15 AM »

at the same time trying to gain your own deeper understanding and coming up with your own conclusions sometimes leads you down paths that you wouldn't go down if you did things the traditional way or used existing tools.

For sure. My point is that there isn't a "right path" to make a game, and that you don't have to hand-code an engine to understand how your game works. As in all things, games are a creative process, and however you decide to go about that process is Correct.
Alevice
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #85 on: August 13, 2015, 09:30:24 AM »

What matters is the end result anyway.

RyanB
Level 0

FIRE + SKULLS = AWESOME

View Profile WWW
« Reply #86 on: August 13, 2015, 01:43:11 PM »

For every shitty game made in Unity there are at least one hundred half-assed attempts at making an engine.  

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: August 13, 2015, 01:56:00 PM »

still interesting to talk about the process, esp on a site for *\*creators*/*
AlexRamallo
Level 1

:0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #88 on: August 13, 2015, 02:29:27 PM »

Whether you're writing poetry, making a game, or painting a picture, the actual value of what you create depends nothing on how you made it. It depends on what your audience sees in it (with or without influence from your marketing efforts). Even a painting made of pure gold wouldn't be worth as much as the Mona Lisa, made of paint on canvas.

With that said, MY perceived value of someone's Unity game is my own, based off of my own personal life experiences and whathaveyou. Being a game developer myself, I recognize the sheer amount of effort that goes into releasing a game. However, I am also able to recognize a lack of effort on someone's part when they do release a game, whether it is made in Unity or from scratch.

When I see a shallow Unity game released, and, worse, being SOLD for real money to real people, I get annoyed. Why? Because as technically impressive as it may be thanks to Unity, a game is not code. Unity is there so you can realize your ideas without having to waste time writing a bunch of code that other people already wrote. So what I ask myself when judging the value of a Unity game is:

What did this developer add ABOVE what Unity already provided for him?

If the game had shitty art, shitty audio, shitty writing, and shitty ideas, then it is a shitty game to me. Even if it does have amazing special effects, physics, and assets the dev pulled off the marketplace, if they weren't able to add anything original themselves that wasn't shitty, then their effort was shit, and their game is shitty. If other people are content paying money for such a low effort, that's their business.

Also,
Writers rarely have a detailed, meticulous, academic knowledge of linguistics and etymology, and if they do it often makes their books worse (Tolkien, for example)
I'm going to pretend I didn't read that  My Word!

Schoq
Level 10

♡∞

View Profile WWW
« Reply #89 on: August 13, 2015, 02:40:04 PM »

this poorly thought out analogy explains how I rationalize my feelings regarding unity games:

♡ ♥ make games, not money ♥ ♡
ProgramGamer
Administrator
Level 10

aka Mireille

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: August 13, 2015, 02:59:21 PM »

Ok can we all just accept that starting a thread to bash an engine which allows people to make games easier was a mistake from the beginning especially on a GAME CREATION FORUM!!??

Dragonmaw
« Reply #91 on: August 13, 2015, 03:47:32 PM »

Writers rarely have a detailed, meticulous, academic knowledge of linguistics and etymology, and if they do it often makes their books worse (Tolkien, for example)
I'm going to pretend I didn't read that  My Word!

Lord Of The Rings Is A Bad Book But A Great Setting: A Play In 500 Acts By Me, Dragonmaw, The Most Curmudgeonly Member of TIGsource
gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: August 13, 2015, 04:28:19 PM »

Pfff LISP is king

J-Snake
Level 10

A fool with a tool is still a fool.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #93 on: August 13, 2015, 06:18:26 PM »

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=498834616

Independent game developer with an elaborate focus on interesting gameplay, rewarding depth of play and technical quality.<br /><br />Trap Them: http://store.steampowered.com/app/375930
Dragonmaw
« Reply #94 on: August 13, 2015, 06:56:06 PM »

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=375057179
gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: August 13, 2015, 07:00:59 PM »

For every stupid product there is plenty amazing product that wouldn't be possible any other way so ... this game  can be played for a while.

It's not like " real programming™ "  prevented shovelware and game scam in the first place, you can do the same by following an C++™ example too.

Cobralad
Cowardly Baby
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: August 13, 2015, 11:11:20 PM »

i think that relates more to human ethics and dignity

would you release a game like that for sale?
J-Snake
Level 10

A fool with a tool is still a fool.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #97 on: August 14, 2015, 01:52:48 AM »

It's not like " real programming™ "  prevented shovelware and game scam in the first place, you can do the same by following an C++™ example too.
It cannot prevent it, but a lower level approach would certainly reduce the load of poor "red paintings" I mentioned previously. A game creator has to realize that a real game is running on hardware, not in his fantasy. The more he understands the fundamental technicalities which drive all the happening in the game, the more competent he will become in his craft. A fool with a tool is still a fool. That is why countless sandbox games created in Unity will remain a mess and won't make it to a mature game. It is not necessarily because of Unity itself, but because of the mindset we have been adapting.

Independent game developer with an elaborate focus on interesting gameplay, rewarding depth of play and technical quality.<br /><br />Trap Them: http://store.steampowered.com/app/375930
Dragonmaw
« Reply #98 on: August 14, 2015, 06:40:16 AM »

Nope.
Alevice
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #99 on: August 14, 2015, 07:17:58 AM »

still interesting to talk about the process, esp on a site for *\*creators*/*

Yeah, but the truth of the matter is that it is relevant on a devlog, not as a general discussion that border on wther you are a true game dev(tm) or not

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic