Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411572 Posts in 69386 Topics- by 58444 Members - Latest Member: darkcitien

May 04, 2024, 11:13:55 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesEschalon: Book I for Windows is RELEASED!
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Eschalon: Book I for Windows is RELEASED!  (Read 5416 times)
Skyleak
Level 0

View Profile
« on: November 19, 2007, 02:58:02 AM »

I'm on this like a hobo on a ham sammich.  Demo is out and so is the retail, so try it out and share your opinions.  Download is complete I'll be back soon for a write up on the demo.

Edit- Yes sorry for the lack of details, I was consumed with excitement and anticipation.

Here's a link for the demo
http://files.filefront.com/eb1+demoexe/;9073706;/fileinfo.html
« Last Edit: November 19, 2007, 03:14:06 AM by Skyleak » Logged
Zaphos
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2007, 03:08:08 AM »

We need more details!  Like:

link: http://basiliskgames.com/book1.htm
youtube trailer: http://youtube.com/watch?v=FqSkCka_Ijg
descriptive text copied from indygamer copied from website: "Eschalon: Book I is a classic role-playing game experience that will take you across massive outdoor environments and deep into sprawling dungeons as you seek to uncover the mystery of who - or what - you are."
abusively hotlinked screenshot:
Skyleak
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2007, 06:36:43 AM »

Alright well I'm back with my small report.

I've been waiting for this game since I first heard about it, so I may seemed biased but I still went at the demo with a watchful idea for anything that I felt seemed missing.  I will leave the story out of the review and just touch on the mechanics and game play.

The character creation is your typical P&P character sheet where you can roll and modify your character (Called PC [player character] from now on.) It's not the same sheet were all used though.  The way your PC title is defined is by a selection of three options, the end result giving you an idea of what you basically are:
Origin - This is similar to a Race choice, but these are just human sub-races.  Each choice gives a short description and the attribute benefits.
Axion - the Axion is your PC's belief system and will also give you a short description followed by that beliefs advantages or disadvantages.
Class - This is your PC's profession if you will, I say pick one that will be your main way through the game and if you need more just add skills later.

There is a gender box in the right upper corner of the screen, this option cannot be changed and you are forced to play as a male . I believe the story is based around a male character.  This didn't bother me much but some may have a problem with it.

The isometric view works out great, there's nothing wrong with it at all, you never lose your PC behind anything as you can always see his head poping out or a limb or two through branches.  The graphics are clean and pretty crisp given it's native 800 x 600 resolution, the particle effects are really astonishing as well.  I never found myself squinting at the screen and wondering if I was looking at a dagger, fish, or an iron bolt. Although paper dolling isn't 100% accurate but they did a good job showing what your PC is wearing.

The menu system is pretty easy you have your main screen displaying your current adventure, to the right is your automap, which will only be scribed upon if you have at least 1 skill point in cartography, the more points the better a map.  Zero skill points means you have to bust out your own pencil and paper or remember where you are mentally.  It's not too hard to remember the zones as they are not huge by any means but it does help.  The button are self explanatory, as is the message box.  The bottom right is your quick inventory slots, think of it as your belt.  Although unlike in other games 1-0 do not relate to the slots but to quick binds for spells.

The PC is controlled by holding the left mouse button down and pointing in one of the eight directions you can move. Some people may grow tired of all the fingering (don't we all) and might want a point and click system.  While this option is not available you can how ever use mouse button 3 (for me it was the scroll wheel click) to turn on "lock movement" this turns the cursor green alerting you it's in lock mode and your PC will travel which ever direction you point him in with no other action needed.  There is no running per say in the game but I'm guessing your speed attribute might effect that, maybe giving you more movements per turn than weaker enemies. 

Interactive objects are easily spotted with a change in the cursor graphic.  When it's a NPC it will change in to a little talk box, an enemy will give you a red circle around the target, and items such as chests, doors, and such will illuminate when the cursor is over them.  Clicking items from a distance will give you a quick description about them and usually tell you to get closer for more info or to interact.

When you find a new important location in the game you get a fast travel option for that zone.  You can quickly move from one part of the map to another just with a click of the mouse, once again for some people the time spent traveling is part of the gaming experience and should not be given a simple shortcut, but only certain important areas are quick travel'able. 

The combat is well done and holds true tot he "old school" way of walking up into a bad guys face and going at them, or unleashing some arrows from a distance before being noticed.  Enemies usually make a certain sound when they spot you or realize where an attack is coming from. Then the normal click-to-kill beings.  You can use a variety of strategy to defeat your foes though not everything is stand around and click.  I haven't tried magic yet though other than blessings so I have not input on that.

One interesting combat aspect I noticed was the hide in shadows and silent skills.  I was crawling through a underground cellar looking for a prized object left there by a local townsman unable to reclaim it.  I found myself pitted against two stronger than normal beasts. I led one of them out into a hall way and plucked arrows into it's body, the last arrow had killed the beast but I had one more to slay.  I needed a new strategy in order defeat this foul creature that didn't require my trusty arrows (you cannot pickup fired arrows)I moved into the room and lit my touch, gaining it's attention it moved towards me.  I backed into a narrow hallway extinguished my torch and stayed tight against the wall giving me a "hidden in shadows" bonus. As the creature passed me unnoticed I took a swing at it from my hidden position scoring a decent hit on it, but reveling myself at the same time.  Moving my character further down the hallway near a wall regained my hidden in shadows skill active once again.  I continued this move until I was able to slay it.  If I would have fought it face to face with a lit torch he would have defeated me quite quickly.

Like I stated earlier I wont touch on the story but it moves along in your quest book, other quests are placed in here as well.  Relating back to the old school method of quests you are not given an all knowing big red arrow holding your hand through the quest and then back home.  Instead you are given the crucial information you have gathered about this task and have to see to the rest on your own.

All in all I enjoyed the demo very much and this new developer will be receiving a purchase from  me very soon.  It's too bad 2D RPGs have long been abandoned as this is a work of art that deserves to be sitting on a store shelf,  I would recommend this game to any body who enjoys playing through an exciting story, great gameplay  with a touch back on the old school ways of cRPGs that have long since passed.  If you're looking for a new Dungeon hack or something to that effect look elsewhere as this requires a lot of dialog that must be read in order to understand the present situations and history of the game world.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2007, 01:02:19 PM by Skyleak » Logged
Alex May
...is probably drunk right now.
Level 10

hen hao wan

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2007, 06:51:31 AM »

I played for about 30 mins this morning and got similar impressions: a very well polished and professional RPG with some nice features and sweet graphics. Good sound and music too. Can't speak for the story but it's at least a little different to the usual one-evil-sorcerer story.

skaldicpoet9
Level 10

"The length of my life was fated long ago "

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2007, 03:28:25 AM »

I have been anticipating this game for quite awhile and was stoked that the demo had come out. I really liked the overall presentation of the game and enjoyed the detailed descriptions of your surroundings and such which reminded me a little of Spiderweb Software's stuff. However, so far the story has been somewhat cliche and I am really hoping that it will redeem itself somehow. The gameplay is pretty smooth aside from the fact that the PC moves like he has a stick up his ass which is quite annoying actually. I did like the ability to blend into the shadows and I want to test out the move silent skill but so far I haven't really found anything that stands out in the combat system. I don't know maybe I am just being picky but I play a lot of CRPGs and it just seemed to me like the combat could have been fleshed out a bit more and a story that moves away from the old "amnesiac hero" spin. Don't get me wrong though the game is still enjoyable thus far, it just wasn't what I was expecting it to be. Hopefully I will be proven wrong though...

\\\\\\\"Fearlessness is better than a faint heart for any man who puts his nose out of doors. The date of my death and length of my life were fated long ago.\\\\\\\"
Skyleak
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2007, 04:05:12 AM »

The silent aspect helps keep enemies that hunt by sound off your tail; attacking from the shadows, in the dark, or just plain running away.
jeb
Level 5

Bling bling

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2007, 02:09:29 PM »

I had planned to play through the shareware version of the game tonight... and I did.

This is what I had expected:
* About 2-3 hours of gameplay.
* At least one major encounter.
* Gained one or two levels (it's a RPG, right?)

This is what I got:
* 0.7 hours according to the savegame
* A bunch of lizards and bats
* 600 exp (needed 1000 to get to the first level)

I was surprised when I saw the shareware limit sign, but most of all I was disappointed. I can't say that I feel like buying the game, because I still don't really know what the game is like. In other words, the game failed to "hook" me. Also, the story with "you are a part of something big (!), but I can't tell you my name" is soooo booooring.

Inane
TIGSource Editor
Level 10

Arsenic for the Art Forum

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2007, 03:14:41 PM »

That's interesting! I managed to get 1800 EXP by the end of the demo.

I assume you didn't do the Blacksmith's basement quest? Gives you a lot of EXP and there's some nasty poisonous lizards as a boss that will fuck you up if you take them on directly.

real art looks like the mona lisa or a halo poster and is about being old or having your wife die and sometimes the level goes in reverse
Skyleak
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2007, 04:30:12 PM »

"It's a RPG, right?"

Meaning most people don't run through the main quest in 40 minutes and call it a day.  They talk to other NPCs get quests, explore, and look for hidden things. I got to level 4 and found everything possible even an actual Easter Egg item. 

I think this game is not meant to hook players into buying, but bring back a type of game that nobody ever touches because "it's already been done."
jeb
Level 5

Bling bling

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2007, 12:52:29 AM »

Yeah, you are right, I didn't do the "fetch mithril" quest. I'm a bad RPG player, boo hoo.

I still claim that the shareware limit is too early. If you look at the main quest, which is the incentive for the character to do anything (I mean, he's suffering from amnesia, why should he look for work?), it consists of:

1. You wake up and read a note.
2. You travel to a city and speak to a man.
3. You get a new note.
4. Depending on your character, you either speak to a new man and buy a key or you lock-pick a lock.
5. End.

If I hadn't accidentally side-tracked to a dungeon in the north-west (maybe that's the basement?), I would have only met a few lizards and two bats, and only improved my equipment by a pair of boots found in a barrel in the forest.

The purpose of a demo version is to make people to buy the game. Yes, it's true! If that wasn't the case (I'm not even sure what you mean by "game that nobody ever touches because it's already been done."), then they wouldn't need a shareware version at all! Also, according to posts by the developers in their forum, "Book 2" and "Book 3" wont be made unless "Book 1" sells well.

So, in order to be constructive about it, this is my suggestion on the problem: Don't give the player money to buy the key, instead make it a part of the main quest to earn money to afford the key.

I know suggestions should be directed to Basilisk Games instead of here at TIGS, but I think it's too late for them to change the game, so I'm writing here for the sake of the discussion.

Alex May
...is probably drunk right now.
Level 10

hen hao wan

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2007, 01:03:00 AM »

I agree that the shareware limit is too early. It's not like the old days when they'd give you the whole first episode for free Smiley

Zaphos
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2007, 01:51:40 AM »

Hmm, I think a problem underlying the 'too short!' complaint is that the writing doesn't draw you in from the start.  There's nothing terribly exciting about walking around a map doing fetch quests as yet another hero with amnesia -- nothing about that grabs the player and pulls them in to the story.  If they had made 45 minutes worth of demo, but those 45 minutes really showed you something to feel excited about in the story, really managed to get the player interested and then leave it on a cliffhanger ... then it would make a much better sales pitch.

To take perhaps the best example in the genre, recall the opening of Planescape: Torment.  The story was instantly engaging, fascinating, satisfying.  There was none of this walking around in a generic fantasy setting, doing lame fetch-quests while you wait for the plot to actually start.
Skyleak
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2007, 03:56:28 PM »

Yes it's fair to say certain people found the demo short due to the lack of the "hook" in the story. I don't know how long the actual game lasts; main story and side quest wise.  I read the game description, what their objective was, played the demo and was excited to know more. 

Sure it wasn't the most interesting opening but I've read plenty of great books that start off as "What you think is the truth really isn't and here's why!"  So I bought the game.  That is not the reason I'm defending it though.  I'll play through the game and write another- maybe this time slightly spoilerish review. I was just proud to see a group take a swing at an vanilla game concept and make it something good.

Jeb, I'm also waiting to see your "fresh take on the traditional MMORPG genre." when you guys move DoD back into production. This isn't some e-threat I'm actually excited to play it, artwork is great. 
Zaphos
« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2007, 04:14:23 PM »

Sure it wasn't the most interesting opening but I've read plenty of great books that start off as "What you think is the truth really isn't and here's why!"
Er, not sure why you're mentioning this, but anyway I think you can start a story off that way and still have a strong opening.  Eschalon just ... doesn't do it well.

But yes, you can also have a good game overall with a weak opening.  The original Baldur's Gate comes to mind!  It just demands a certain amount of faith from players who come to RPGs for the stories.
jeb
Level 5

Bling bling

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2007, 04:24:08 PM »

Jeb, I'm also waiting to see your "fresh take on the traditional MMORPG genre." when you guys move DoD back into production. This isn't some e-threat I'm actually excited to play it, artwork is great. 

Haha, actually I see it as a threat, but not from you personally, but from the world in general. Dawn of Daria has been "on hold" for a while now (actually almost a year Sad ), but we hope that we will be able to continue on it "soon". In Eschalon's defense, making RPG is insanely hard, and they managed to pull it off!

What I mean with "threat" is that we really, really need to find a new niche. If we can't find our niche, we're doomed. It's impossible (yes, impossible) to make a BETTER game than all other online RPGs on the market, so we have to make a NEW game. Every day I read about new features added to LOTR Online, WoW, EQ 2 or pick-your-poison, and we can't compete with that.

So... what's "new" in Daria? Honestly, at the moment I can't say. The artwork, the way you interact with the world (ie, move around) and the background story form something unique together, but taken apart they are not. Of course, we have ideas, but so far these ideas haven't been strong enough to build a whole game on. Many ideas also fail on the "too big for us" problem.

Anyway, we are currently experimenting with "what if" questions. For example, "what if there's no combat", or "what if there's no money" etc, and then make gameplay decisions from that (not background story). It's hard to come up with a new gameplay element, and then try to put it in an online environment. You have to consider bandwidth, bots and/or client-side cheating. It's a real pain.

We are also considering making a single-player game on the same engine, but this hasn't even entered the concept phase yet. Argh... we've got so much to do, now that I think about it!

In any case, if we end up doing a RPG or ORPG, and it's generic and bland, pleeeaaasse kill me. Well, don't. But please remind me that we suck Smiley

jeb
Level 5

Bling bling

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2007, 12:33:30 AM »

Addendum:

I forgot to say... I don't think Eschalon is a bad game, I just thought the shareware version was too short. The last shareware RPG I bought was Undercroft by Rake In Grass. It consists of 4 different "locations", and in the shareware version you got to play the first location (ie, 25% of the game, roughly speaking). On the other hand, Undercroft's horse-legged wolves is a unique selling point by itself Wink

Skyleak
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2007, 01:01:25 AM »

Those are wolf bodied horses.  :D
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic