Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411586 Posts in 69386 Topics- by 58445 Members - Latest Member: Mansreign

May 06, 2024, 07:19:43 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperDesignLove in Games
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Love in Games  (Read 1743 times)
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« on: February 10, 2009, 09:23:28 PM »

http://www.examiner.com/x-578-Video-Game-Examiner~y2009m2d10-Top-10-video-game-love-stories

I don't think that list is very good, although I do agree with Xenogears and Ico. Most of the time a relationship in a game feels too melodramatic to me. This is especially true in Final Fantasy games.

I think Vanguard Bandits (Kingdom branch, Cecilia subbranch, when she doesn't betray you) and Illusion of Gaia had pretty nice love stories too. Vanguard Bandits was especially interesting because the love wasn't deterministic, it depended on your actions in the game.

letsap
Level 5

Have faith...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2009, 09:27:39 PM »

Agreeing with Xenogears, for sure. I think the kind of love that was in Skies of Arcadia needs to be around more. The fact that it was so simple and not in the way of everything was great. Melodramatic relationships in games make me cringe and stop playing the game for a little bit in a replay.

Lucaz
Level 6

Indier than thou

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2009, 09:02:52 AM »

I haven't played most of those games, so... Shrug

I to agree with SotC. What I don't agree at all is with Ico. I never saw it as a love story, but about companionship. But I think it's the one that worked of all the ones I've played. The way I felt attached to the characters, and my reaction to most events was unique.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2009, 09:09:43 AM by Lucaz » Logged

Synnah
Level 7

La la la la - oh, what fun!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2009, 09:16:27 AM »

I to agree with SotC. What I don't agree at all is with Ico. I never saw it as a love story, but about companionship.

I meant to post the same thing last week; The inclusion of ICO is a baffling one. I guess you could argue that Yorda's actions at the end (And congratulations to that guy for completely spoiling most of the game) were motivated by love, but that's never explicitly implied, and it's a bit of a leap to assume as much. The way I read it was that ICO took Yorda with him simply because he was alone, and in need of a companion, and Yorda saved him at end because he was her only friend. It's strange to read anything more into it than it being a story of companionship.

"What's that thing at the end of the large intestine? Because that's exactly what you've done here." - Ray Smuckles, Achewood.

My music. Will compose for free!
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic