Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411644 Posts in 69395 Topics- by 58450 Members - Latest Member: pp_mech

May 14, 2024, 11:50:57 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperDesignWhat worlds should I insert?
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: What worlds should I insert?  (Read 2534 times)
BattleBeard
Level 6

please touch me

View Profile
« on: July 09, 2011, 12:29:03 PM »

Facepalm

Okay, so you know how there are different worlds in Mario games? What if I create five, with different themes, that make you adapt to different strategies of gameplay each?

This is based on an idea of a puzzle/platform game, basically, get to the end of the level without dying from different traps and stuff.

Well, what could the worlds be? I was thinking of these themes.

Factory
Ice
Underground (which would, as the levels go by, go deeper until you're in hell)
Sky
Broken (This would bring all the worlds together, fused)

So, wanna help me out, guise?
« Last Edit: July 09, 2011, 01:08:23 PM by BattleBeard » Logged
SundownKid
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2011, 12:30:46 PM »

Welcome to the wonderful world of TVTropes!

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/VideogameSettings

BattleBeard
Level 6

please touch me

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2011, 12:50:54 PM »

Welcome to the wonderful world of TVTropes!

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/VideogameSettings

I love TV tropes, but I kinda want to pull away from too much cliche...then again, it's just a basic free, first game of mine. I'm sharing it on here though so...

gah conflict
mihai
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2011, 01:13:08 PM »

OK, this went quite away from the main topic, but it is instructional enough to let it flow Smiley

SundownKid
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2011, 01:13:59 PM »

I love TV tropes, but I kinda want to pull away from too much cliche...then again, it's just a basic free, first game of mine. I'm sharing it on here though so...

gah conflict

It's pretty much impossible to avoid cliche and as TVTropes says on the front page, cliches are not inherently bad. Just think about inventive ways to combine them and you should be fine. For example, combining an icy setting with a mechanical one to make a lab in the Arctic. Then you can add a hot setting as the inner core. Or, an undersea setting with technological wreckage, for a sunken high-tech city.

Of course, I prefer to come up with a setting beforehand and then base everything off locations thereof...

BattleBeard
Level 6

please touch me

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2011, 01:32:09 PM »

gah conflict

It's pretty much impossible to avoid cliche and as TVTropes says on the front page, cliches are not inherently bad. Just think about inventive ways to combine them and you should be fine. For example, combining an icy setting with a mechanical one to make a lab in the Arctic. Then you can add a hot setting as the inner core. Or, an undersea setting with technological wreckage, for a sunken high-tech city.

Of course, I prefer to come up with a setting beforehand and then base everything off locations thereof...

Well, the setting is in limbo of dimensional travel. So...yeah. It can really be anywhere.
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2011, 01:32:53 PM »

yeah you shouldn't use tvtropes as a design bible.
gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2011, 01:38:26 PM »

Tv tropes is to check the average averageness of your setting, if it's 100% you are doomed and have generic taste. But tvtropes can help to mix setting not seen together.

gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2011, 01:39:06 PM »

SundownKid
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2011, 01:44:24 PM »

Well, the setting is in limbo of dimensional travel. So...yeah. It can really be anywhere.

That seems like a cop-out to me. But, you do have the potential to make your levels REALLY WEIRD, since they are in another dimension. The game could even be figuring out how the laws of physics work in each level.

BattleBeard
Level 6

please touch me

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2011, 02:21:23 PM »

That seems like a cop-out to me. But, you do have the potential to make your levels REALLY WEIRD, since they are in another dimension. The game could even be figuring out how the laws of physics work in each level.

Which is the point of the last, Broken, dimension.
Sankar
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2011, 04:39:04 PM »

I like Factory and Sky, they aren't new but I'm not saturated by them.
Mixing is probably the key.

Submerged Factory
Underground during a Earthquake

etc...

I usually like rain, this is a personal preference of mine. So, no matter how cliche a setting is, if there is rain on it and it's pretty, I don't mind. I actually enjoy.
But i'm not sure other people feel the same way.

BattleBeard
Level 6

please touch me

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2011, 05:13:38 PM »

Okay, thanks.

Intelligent Frog Family, here we come
leonelc29
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2011, 08:17:02 AM »

i don't like ice, probably because of the falling stalactites, sharp and pointy stalagmite, and ofcourse, slippy floor.

but this is just another personal taste.

Factory is quite interesting, as it can be anything. What i'm thinking right now is instead of metal and iron, this factory actually made of rock. ROCK!  Hand Metal Left Epileptic Hand Metal Right

maybe you can say that each different world are actually different dimension, so that after complete each level, the player will then warp into another dimension, so this might be able to explain the change of rule and strategy in every world. in the end, the dimension combined and then POOF! Broken.

Just a though.
fraxcell
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2011, 08:22:10 AM »

Source: http://mrbossdesign.blogspot.com/2008/10/platformer-primer.html

mcc
Level 10

glitch

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2011, 09:08:16 AM »

- Burning Man Festival
- Interior and/or surface of Io
- The human vascular system
- Burmese rice paddy
- Urban Afghanistan, occupied by martians, their organic machinery growing over everything in the vicinity of the bases gradually like plants, occasionally accidentally nabbing and gradually enclosing unwary human/animal passerby who are slowly incorporated into the framework

My projects:<br />Games: Jumpman Retro-futuristic platforming iJumpman iPhone version Drumcircle PC+smartphone music toy<br />More: RUN HELLO
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic