Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411604 Posts in 69388 Topics- by 58445 Members - Latest Member: gravitygat

May 08, 2024, 03:21:16 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesSkyward Sword
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 34
Print
Author Topic: Skyward Sword  (Read 78589 times)
Bree
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #600 on: December 22, 2011, 08:11:53 PM »

One of these days I'm going to give Dragon Quarter another go... I just keep getting stuck early on and having to restart all over again. Maybe if my copy of the game actually came with a manual I'd be able to manage.

Off the topic of Skyward Sword, anybody wanna speculate about the new one for the 3DS? My educated guess is that it'll be based in the SS universe, the same way that Spirit Tracks and Phantom Hourglass before it were part of Wind Waker's story. But on the other hand, that style may yet be too much for the 3DS to handle, least not without serious graphical compromises- I'm partly hoping that this will be a new direction all its own.
BlueSweatshirt
Level 10

the void

View Profile WWW
« Reply #601 on: December 22, 2011, 09:28:28 PM »

They said(they being Aonuma, I think) that they were going for a full console-caliber zelda(I assume they mean in play/scope, not graphics fidelity) so we might actually see something that's completely it's own.

gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #602 on: December 22, 2011, 09:47:57 PM »

He also said that doing a thing right after or before SS would be difficult, being nintendo speaking on story I would not care that much.

rob
Level 8

all 'bout Zumba (absolute pro @ Zumba)

View Profile
« Reply #603 on: December 23, 2011, 11:51:49 AM »

http://www.destructoid.com/the-official-legend-of-zelda-timeline-revealed-218437.phtml#ext

Zelda timeline released! I haven't played quite enough of them to really care, though.

vinheim3
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #604 on: December 23, 2011, 12:21:31 PM »

Did you know you can heal all your health by sitting down?. I discovered it halfway through and have been using it since.

On another note, what carries over to Hero mode? Just so I won't have to go through the archery mini-game, bamboo-cutting mini-game or any other mini-games for heart-pieces/bottles.

Also, anyone know how to get rupees out of moblin rupee sacks? If you dowse for rupees in the main area of the Eldin region, it will lead you to a moblin village and, more specifically, the sack hanging from the wall in one of the houses.
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #605 on: December 23, 2011, 12:58:08 PM »

http://www.destructoid.com/the-official-legend-of-zelda-timeline-revealed-218437.phtml#ext

Zelda timeline released! I haven't played quite enough of them to really care, though.
I've played them all (except for Oracle of Seasons and the CD-I ones*) and I still don't care. Cool

*yup i've played both game&watch zelda and bs zelda
Derek
Bastich
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #606 on: December 24, 2011, 05:48:05 PM »

I'm really enjoying this, even though the motion controls feel unresponsive and I have to recalibrate the Wiimote all the time.

I didn't think I'd like swinging the sword around as much as I do. ^___^
Bree
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #607 on: December 27, 2011, 01:39:51 PM »

Now that the game's been out for a while, I'd like to discuss something a little more... spoilery.

Let's talk about Groose, shall we?

Was I alone in thinking that he was somehow going to become Ganondorf, or at least play some part in the creation of Ganon? It makes me wonder if that was their original plan. I mean, come on, he even had the dark skin and the red hair and everything! On the other hand, my expectations meant that I was genuinely surprised that he turned out to be an all-right guy- more than anyone else, he grew as a character and became a positive example of the Triforce of Power... but did he ever actually get a Triforce piece on his hand? My memory's hazy on that.
BlueSweatshirt
Level 10

the void

View Profile WWW
« Reply #608 on: December 27, 2011, 04:46:06 PM »

He did not.
In this game only Link got the Triforce on his hand, and it was all of it.
However I did think Groose was pretty cool.

James McCloud
Level 3

I can't art

View Profile
« Reply #609 on: December 28, 2011, 12:10:26 AM »

Didn't we already have a discussion on this like 4 pages ago?
And I was thinking the same way as you Theo.  I'm actually pretty sure that they intentionally made the similarities to throw you off.

This is me on steam.

Hey look!  My blog's gone again!  Ain't that somethin?

I really need a better sig :\
Faust06
Level 5

terminally laid-back

View Profile
« Reply #610 on: December 28, 2011, 12:27:36 PM »

The game looks beautiful from the videos I've seen, but I probably wont pick it up yet. I checked out Zero Punctuation review, which you can't really take as gospel, but as per usual I'd probably dislike the game for the same reasons Yahtzee does.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/zero-punctuation/5148-The-Legend-of-Zelda-Skyward-Sword
Falmil
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #611 on: December 28, 2011, 04:09:12 PM »

I'm not sure why people would think that about Groose. I just thought his features just made him stand out as a social antagonist and a bully and nothing more. His actions don't really lend to it either. He's just arrogant, until he sees how powerless he is. Even then, none of his actions hint at a thirst for power or doing anything to get Zelda back or anything that would cause him to go "dark" somehow.
_Tommo_
Level 8

frn frn frn

View Profile WWW
« Reply #612 on: December 28, 2011, 05:08:36 PM »

Still he looks a lot like a young Ganondorf.
Zelda's plot isn't exactly Inception, and everything else is carefully planted with hints, so a rival red-headed yellow-eyed guy can't just "be there".
Well played fan-trolling Nintendo, you got me thinking "how chichè" and then BAM! unexpected character un-twist! Incredible My Word!

Maybe next time try to avoid making everything else clichè for real, ok? Facepalm

Well, to be honest this Zelda's story is imo by far the best in the series, as you could actually relate to Link, Zelda, and other characters - for once enough to keep playing to see what happens next - but apart from the cutscenes, plot is hugely absent and always throws in huge premises just to send you ONCE AGAIN in the same dungeon.

Still this is the Zelda I enjoyed most after OoT and WW, and I'm amazed about how I enjoyed it out of pure gameplay - the kind of enjoyment you get playing an arcade for the sake of it. I just liked to play it, and I was willing to take any random story thrown in to solve that one more clever puzzle.
It has modernized the gameplay in the right way, with few all-around items (I would have merged the Gust Bellows and the whip too, giving a "vacuum" function to the first, maybe) that are interesting throughout the game and aren't one-shot puzzle solvers.
And hey! Weapons can be used as weapons! They aren't really made to solve puzzles! it was good to be able to deal real damage with the bow most of the time; usually it just hurt predefined enemies.

But, the game has shortcomings that put it a lot under OoT: excessively recycled settings and lack of epic.
And with epic I mean that feeling you get when you first set foot in the Hyrule Fields, that sense of wonder and hugeness and being lost and exploring and whatever.
That you don't get in SS because everything is carefully crafted, tight, polished, or downright too easy. It is engineered to make you do things. You are on rails. To put it straight, sometimes it plays like an huge iphone game. And this is bad.

But still, the gameplay is rock solid, I hope that they get more adventuring in next time  Beer!

PS: I just wanted to write something about Groose, then the ranting happened  Facepalm
« Last Edit: December 28, 2011, 05:15:23 PM by _Tommo_ » Logged

James McCloud
Level 3

I can't art

View Profile
« Reply #613 on: December 28, 2011, 10:48:10 PM »

I didn't think it was Groose that would turn dark.  I figured he'd be corrupted by girahim.  He felt helpless and powerless.  Seemed a perfect opportunity for girahim to be all like You want power?  I'll give you power and help you win zelda from link.  And then he follows blindly.
That's what I expected, though I like what happened to him better than that.  Not everything needs to be a tragedy, I guess.

This is me on steam.

Hey look!  My blog's gone again!  Ain't that somethin?

I really need a better sig :\
Bree
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #614 on: December 28, 2011, 10:53:09 PM »

That's pretty much what I was expecting too... not sure if it was better this way or not.
Geeze
Level 5

Totally.

View Profile
« Reply #615 on: December 28, 2011, 11:16:40 PM »

Oh only if they made a spinoff featuring Groose... Noir

BlueSweatshirt
Level 10

the void

View Profile WWW
« Reply #616 on: December 28, 2011, 11:21:24 PM »

Maybe Nintendo purposefully led us into assuming these cliche scenarios so that we would be more impressed with the story when it seemed the cliches didn't play out.

SirNiko
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #617 on: December 29, 2011, 03:56:22 AM »

I would play a Legend of Groose game, especially if they used the SS mechanics but tightened up the story so you didn't spend so much time on unfulfilling sidequests.

It could be a master quest version of SS with an overworld rehaul and everything. The premise could be Groose makes up his own version of the story and you just live through the retelling.
Fallsburg
Level 10

Fear the CircleCat

View Profile
« Reply #618 on: December 29, 2011, 06:10:24 AM »

The game looks beautiful from the videos I've seen, but I probably wont pick it up yet. I checked out Zero Punctuation review, which you can't really take as gospel, but as per usual I'd probably dislike the game for the same reasons Yahtzee does.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/zero-punctuation/5148-The-Legend-of-Zelda-Skyward-Sword

Well, I don't agree with his criticisms of the Zelda series as a whole, especially the each game is the beta for the next one, but his criticisms of Skyward Sword are pretty much spot on.   
Bree
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #619 on: December 29, 2011, 08:44:32 AM »

I would play a Legend of Groose game, especially if they used the SS mechanics but tightened up the story so you didn't spend so much time on unfulfilling sidequests.

It could be a master quest version of SS with an overworld rehaul and everything. The premise could be Groose makes up his own version of the story and you just live through the retelling.

This here. I would totally play this. Hell, if Tingle can get two of his own games, surely Groose can too?
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 34
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic