Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411573 Posts in 69386 Topics- by 58444 Members - Latest Member: darkcitien

May 04, 2024, 01:24:39 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsProject Rain World
Pages: 1 ... 264 265 [266] 267 268 ... 367
Print
Author Topic: Project Rain World  (Read 1449349 times)
akryl9296
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5300 on: January 28, 2016, 09:42:03 AM »

That would break the immersion more than some "imaginary" hints.
It's exactly opposite for me.

RainWorld alpha map: 141220
jamesprimate
Level 10

wave emoji

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5301 on: January 28, 2016, 09:53:57 AM »

nah, anything dealing with the world-level iconography, signs etc., has serious narrative ramifications. the slugcat is a stranger is a strange land; a lonely animal making its way through the remains of an ancient civilization. so having a sign with a slugcat on it breaks that immediately, lmao

akryl9296
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5302 on: January 28, 2016, 10:02:29 AM »

nah, anything dealing with the world-level iconography, signs etc., has serious narrative ramifications. the slugcat is a stranger is a strange land; a lonely animal making its way through the remains of an ancient civilization. so having a sign with a slugcat on it breaks that immediately, lmao
I wasn't thinking of slugcat on a pictogram, but ok xD

RainWorld alpha map: 141220
TheWing
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5303 on: January 29, 2016, 12:13:48 AM »

Have slugcat have dreams in which you a limited time (like a minute or so) to move around and try to learn new movements and such.. like there's a tasty fruit hanging a bit too high and you need to get to it?

- - - -
Schoq
Level 10

♡∞

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5304 on: January 29, 2016, 03:24:52 AM »

Cute novel solutions are fun to discuss but I think you should just have a separate tutorial section (with its own menu item like in half-life) where you can be as explicit and comprehensive and texty as you like. It'll be understood as clearly separate from the game world and won't break immersion.

♡ ♥ make games, not money ♥ ♡
Wlad
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5305 on: January 29, 2016, 03:58:30 AM »

... I think you should just have a separate tutorial section...

I second that.
presidenthobbes
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5306 on: January 29, 2016, 05:38:43 AM »

Have slugcat have dreams in which you a limited time (like a minute or so) to move around and try to learn new movements and such.. like there's a tasty fruit hanging a bit too high and you need to get to it?
I like the slugcat dreams more than a seperate tutorial. It depends on how much information the player is supposed to know. For example, is the tutorial limited only to slugcat stuff? Are we supposed to learn that snails explode better in water by trial and error or have a tutorial tell us? I can't imagine the slugcat having dreams about things it hasn't discovered, so if the dreams are went with it would have to be slugcat related stuff.
That said, I think dreams might be a bit more fun than a seperate tutorial. It would be a learn-as-you-play experience, as opposed to learn-then-play.
JLJac
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #5307 on: January 29, 2016, 06:18:14 AM »

We'll have no tutorial or tip stuff about actual creature interaction I think - kind of the point of the game is figuring that stuff out for yourself. The entire extent of the tutorial will basically be "crouch and pause for a bit then press forward+jump to leap, slide and jump to backflip" and the extent of/time put into the tutorial will be proportional  Tongue
JLJac
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #5308 on: January 29, 2016, 06:20:56 AM »

As for a "separate tutorial mode", we have a sandbox mode planned, which will basically be running on the engine of the multiplayer but where you can throw in one player, two players, a player and some creatures you've discovered, or just some creatures you've discovered and no players at all. So that would both allow for practicing moves in an empty room, practicing a specific creature interaction, or observing interactions between non-slugcat creatures and learning from that.
fylth
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5309 on: January 29, 2016, 07:01:56 AM »

Sounds fun, will the sandbox areas be "arena" variations of areas from the main game you've discovered (self contained), or will you have access to the whole game world?
presidenthobbes
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5310 on: January 29, 2016, 07:55:27 AM »

As for a "separate tutorial mode", we have a sandbox mode planned, which will basically be running on the engine of the multiplayer but where you can throw in one player, two players, a player and some creatures you've discovered, or just some creatures you've discovered and no players at all. So that would both allow for practicing moves in an empty room, practicing a specific creature interaction, or observing interactions between non-slugcat creatures and learning from that.

What is the requirement for "discovering" a creature? Is it just any creature you see or are in the vicinity of, or is there a more complicated system?

Also, really looking forward to becoming a slugcat gladiator. One slugcat vs 5 red lizards--who will win?!  Evil
jamesprimate
Level 10

wave emoji

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5311 on: January 29, 2016, 08:01:24 AM »

It will be a selection of individual arena-like rooms, some from the main map and some specifically for multiplayer/ sandbox. region-themed content (creatures and rooms) unlocks as you make your way through the main game.

What is the requirement for "discovering" a creature? Is it just any creature you see or are in the vicinity of, or is there a more complicated system?

Not on that quite yet, but initially the idea was a "creature egg" that you have to find and bring back to your den.

And yes the gladiator mode is suuuuuper fun, even in the old alpha! So I'm really looking forward to it with all the new creatures. It will definitely take some thought on our part to get it to not be a UI/menu hell though.

io3 creations
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5312 on: January 29, 2016, 10:06:15 AM »

Civilizations tend to depict the world around it in one way or another.  At first, I was thinking that cave-painting style art would fit the game but based on your description it sounds like the slugcat is a newcomer to land and haven't had contact with that civilization.  In that case, that idea wouldn't quite work.

JLJac
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #5313 on: January 29, 2016, 02:04:08 PM »

Sorry about the lack of updates! We send end of month builds to the people at Adult Swim, and this run-up turned out a bit extra intensive. Promise to be back at it very soon!
jamesprimate
Level 10

wave emoji

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5314 on: January 30, 2016, 08:42:21 AM »

Hey Christian, what was the size of shadow complex?  i just finished up the first round of polish on the 12 regions and did a "final" screen count just for, uh, fun: 1427 before gates and shelters  Epileptic

Christian
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5315 on: January 30, 2016, 08:55:41 AM »

Hey Christian, what was the size of shadow complex?  i just finished up the first round of polish on the 12 regions and did a "final" screen count just for, uh, fun: 1427 before gates and shelters  Epileptic
Shadow Complex: 780 rooms (base only, not counting the surface section)
Knytt Underground: 1,363 rooms (1,800+ when secret off-map areas are included)
Rain World: 1,427 rooms

Visit Indie Game Enthusiast or follow me @IG_Enthusiast to learn about the best new and upcoming indie games!
Teod
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #5316 on: January 30, 2016, 09:10:50 AM »

Wait, is the off-map area really this big? I thought it was something like a small (9x7, or something) fast travel grid plus 4 secret rooms. Or there's more than one grid? Crap, I may need to revisit it...

Also, a lot of the main map rooms exist purely to fill the grid, without much of a meaningfull content. And off-map largely repeats levels of the main map, sometimes with an added passage or two.
Christian
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5317 on: January 30, 2016, 09:14:20 AM »

Wait, is the off-map area really this big? I thought it was something like a small (9x7, or something) fast travel grid plus 4 secret rooms. Or there's more than one grid? Crap, I may need to revisit it...

Also, a lot of the main map rooms exist purely to fill the grid, without much of a meaningfull content. And off-map largely repeats levels of the main map, sometimes with an added passage or two.

Going by Wikipedia and the Steam page. The Steam pages lists the 1,800 number, while the Wiki states that "the main world is divided into 47 rooms across by 29 rooms down, for a total of at least 1,363 rooms"

Visit Indie Game Enthusiast or follow me @IG_Enthusiast to learn about the best new and upcoming indie games!
gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #5318 on: January 30, 2016, 07:41:47 PM »

I felt inspired by Rain World, so I made a big monster with lots of tentacles, because as we all know:
More tentacles equals better gameplay.
Hand Shake Left Giggle Hand Shake Right
it's happening!

battlerager
Level 10

I resent that statement.

View Profile
« Reply #5319 on: January 31, 2016, 01:48:54 AM »

... bring on the clones and ripoffs!  Wizard

Jk keep up the good work you all

I don't post here much but I am very much hyped for this game!
Pages: 1 ... 264 265 [266] 267 268 ... 367
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic