Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411550 Posts in 69383 Topics- by 58442 Members - Latest Member: spitcards

May 03, 2024, 07:01:50 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsCarousel
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9
Print
Author Topic: Carousel  (Read 23762 times)
Sam English
« Reply #80 on: August 04, 2013, 11:31:04 PM »

that is so lovely
Chis
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: August 08, 2013, 09:46:05 PM »

thanks everyone!! it's interesting because I wasn't planning on giving her that smirk in the first place, but now I wonder if it could be part of her personality - heroic but sometimes cruel.

ALRIGHT so scrapping the 4 combat buttons idea, that was pretty stupid. I think I'm going to go for a system very reminiscent of SMASH BROS. there'll be at most 1-2 combat buttons. you'll be able to purchase/discover different attacks and map them to combat button + directional, either on ground or airborne. the fun part is that enemies will have very different methods of attack, and there will also be ~environmental hazards~ on the map. so you have to be clever and figure out the best way to destroy the enemies, possibly using said environmental hazards as assistance.

FOR EXAMPLE, there could be a map with a bunch of clouds floating on top of a poison lake. many of these clouds are occupied by enemy A. the catch is that only one thing can stand on a cloud at a time; if you and enemy A inhabit the same cloud, the cloud will temporarily sink into the poison and everyone dies. there is also enemy B, which flies around and is just annoying. so a good method would be to grab enemy B and then throw it at enemy A, rendering them both unconscious and also sinking them to their doom because now there are two things on one cloud.

also!

SAY YOUR PRAYERS GUYS
(would love any critique you might have as well)

trexrell
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #82 on: August 08, 2013, 09:52:38 PM »

I think it looks really cool and smooth. The color scheme is pretty unique. Although I am not a perfectionist I'm assuming its unfinished. But I like where it is going.

mushbuh
Level 9

Epic Laughs await you, traveler *tips steampunkhat

View Profile WWW
« Reply #83 on: August 09, 2013, 10:18:32 AM »

smashbrosesque controls sound cool. just make sure you get it working early on for remapping buttons so you dont have to deal with it later on

Chis
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: August 09, 2013, 06:20:14 PM »

trexwell: thanks!! actually, what part of it seems unfinished to you? the circle of swords hasn't been added yet, but the animation at least is done afaik.

mushroomized: awesome, and yeah absolutely  Tongue

Belimoth
Level 10

high-heeled cyberbully

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: August 11, 2013, 12:42:12 AM »

I walked to the left and fell off of the world.

Also you're gonna have to mess with the player's zIndex if you want things like banisters to layer properly.
You should think about the rules for this before you get too deep into level design.

P.S. I like your game.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2013, 12:47:58 AM by Belimoth » Logged

Chis
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: August 11, 2013, 08:45:22 AM »

thanks for trying it out, glad to hear you liked it!
whooops, I will fix that  Tongue

I think I might know what to do about the railing. If the player is below the slope of a railing tile and the player is not standing on the collision layer associated with the railing (aka the stairs), then I draw it behind the player.

or, I can just draw it behind the player if the last collision map the player stood on is not the stairs. but that means that if the player jumped onto the stairs from the ground, she would be in front of the railing for a second before she lands on the stairs.

something might be wrong with this. errrrrrvggh
« Last Edit: August 11, 2013, 08:53:16 AM by Chis » Logged

Belimoth
Level 10

high-heeled cyberbully

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: August 11, 2013, 10:31:25 AM »

You could also do it Little Big Planet style where the player floats between layers based on context, and objects can block z movement. Then you'd have to actually jump "over" the railing to get to the stairs.

Ouren
Enjoyed Some Pizza!
Level 7

Poppy Works

View Profile WWW
« Reply #88 on: August 11, 2013, 10:56:40 AM »

You could also do it Little Big Planet style where the player floats between layers based on context, and objects can block z movement. Then you'd have to actually jump "over" the railing to get to the stairs.

Mario 3 is also an option

Ouren
Enjoyed Some Pizza!
Level 7

Poppy Works

View Profile WWW
« Reply #89 on: August 11, 2013, 09:38:16 PM »

I gave your screenshot the bump~!

http://indiegames.com/2013/08/screenshot_daily_playstation_m.html

Chis
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: August 12, 2013, 06:52:11 PM »

whoaomgod, I'm famous! thanks so much, Ouren!!
lmao, I probably should update that screenshot with the new sprite.

having the player jump over the railings makes a lot of sense. for now though, I'll put in the minimum effort and draw it behind the player when she's not standing on the stairs, and then I'll tackle this problem later.

I never played Mario 3 because I don't play games  Sad

Ouren
Enjoyed Some Pizza!
Level 7

Poppy Works

View Profile WWW
« Reply #91 on: August 12, 2013, 09:47:48 PM »

Look into trying out Mario 3 or little big planet for your layer stuff.

Mostly Mario 3 because you're not doing 3D.

Belimoth
Level 10

high-heeled cyberbully

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: August 12, 2013, 11:02:50 PM »

Might be tough if I remember Impact's collision system correctly, but it's doable. I don't know why I love sitting on benches so much.

Chis
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: August 13, 2013, 07:03:39 PM »

when she crouches, the circle of swords will rotate 90 degs so that's parallel to the ground. she can attack by spinning it around and tripping everyone.

Ouren - sorry, was trying to say I don't know how layering works in Mario 3. I watched some gameplay & it seems to work the way my demo does at the moment, is there something specific I missed?

Belimoth - it was tough, but I was able to hack impact to support separate collision layers  Grin so I think linking other layers to them will be totally doable as well.
haha, that's great! I just want to spend all my dev time putting in stupid easter eggs like benches.

Ouren
Enjoyed Some Pizza!
Level 7

Poppy Works

View Profile WWW
« Reply #94 on: August 13, 2013, 11:15:14 PM »

Oh, well I mean, you should download and play it.
It's generally done very well.

If you're already doing that, then you didn't miss anything. Tongue

mushbuh
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #95 on: August 14, 2013, 11:56:46 AM »

so cool

mushbuh
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #96 on: September 22, 2013, 09:25:49 AM »

you're not allowed to not make this game

Chis
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: September 22, 2013, 02:17:24 PM »

sorry mom ;_;
I got a bit frustrated with level design and then school came along so I was not making this game
but I'm slowly getting back on track.

I'm redoing the weapon circle a little bit. The lines represent the swords. The idea is that I have a small imaginary inner circle that I can move around:

so when she attacks in some direction, the inner circle will protrude in that direction and some of the swords will shoot forward. the goal is to have it be really fluid and natural, like airbending Huh???

that piranha head will be her companion weasel. atm his AI can follow you and search for/jump across nearby platforms.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2013, 02:42:36 PM by Chis » Logged

mushbuh
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #98 on: September 22, 2013, 04:18:49 PM »

woah, nice i'm glad you are still working on it  Tears of Joy

so the spinning thing itself is the weapon, or just a way to select them?
« Last Edit: September 22, 2013, 04:53:15 PM by mushroomized » Logged

Conker534
« Reply #99 on: September 22, 2013, 04:45:12 PM »

Yeah that looks dope
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic