Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411592 Posts in 69386 Topics- by 58444 Members - Latest Member: FightingFoxGame

May 07, 2024, 08:38:18 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsModern Dungeon
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Modern Dungeon  (Read 1140 times)
FemtoKitten
Level 0

Everyone deserves a cuddle or two!

View Profile WWW
« on: November 06, 2012, 09:50:07 AM »

Cry
My primary development computer went *ker-splat-ah* and no longer can turn on for the time being... (it's a power supply issue). So I will make lemons out of lemonade and make a game idea I had for a little while, but up until recently I never had the experience of ascii needed to make it.

I don't think it will get finished, because I hope that my boyfriend can fix my computer... but more realistically I'm going to have to look for a new one. If I DO finish it, I am releasing it as freeware.

For the time being, I'm using a decade old desktop that used to be a gaming machine... but is now my business computer. (it is not connected to the internet)

Alright, onto the idea.

!Modern Dungeon!

You are a human being who woke up in a post-apocalyptic world... The realm is filled with ruins that are full of rogues, bandits, basic robots, and common predators. The governments that exist in the world only truly have control over the larger towns and the main roads, but they are almost always at war with each-other. There used to be tremendously advanced technology, but now the world is reduced to a pre-industrial age with rapidly decaying machinery to show what once was.

The player wakes up in a two-story office building, with some random supplies and some light arms lying about. This building will function as the tutorial dungeon, with the top floor being a place of a basic survivalist stockpile, while the bottom floor will feature a few feral cats to fight.

Upon stepping out into the ruins of a small town, the player is free to explore the realm...

Skills
These are the skills I hope to get in...
*Light Arms (Rifles, pistols, SMGs, etc.)
*Heavy Arms (AA guns, gernades, gernade launchers, RPGs, MGs, AutoCannons, etc.)
*Melee (Hammers, pipes, 2x4s, arms, swords, etc.)
*Theft (Lockpicking, hiding, sneaking around, stealing)
*Eyesight (Influences accuracy, reading, and identification of objects/traps/food)
*Anatomy (Drug effects, first aid, healing others, poisoning)
*Dexterity (Speed, disarming opponents, dodging)

I also hope to implement a system where they get better with use, but worsen over non-use.

World
The world should be a main continent, with some outlying isles. There should be few types of land, with only a few different types of dungeons (caves, ruins, silos, labs, bases), and some towns to visit (Major capitals for some of the nations, but mostly small towns with little going on). There should also be signs of both rebuilding AND deterioration of ruins over long periods of time.

Nations
The nations should be smallish, with about ten on the map at most. The flags should be real-world flags picked at random. They should have a capital with some sort of autocratic ruler present... be they human or AI. The military forces should have remnants of the old age military, such as tanks, APCs, destroyers, and some light mechs. However most of the military (especially outside the capital) is basic infantry and/or militia with basic firearms and little else.

Technology
Some of the older people have partial cyberization done to them, but most people only heard of cyborgs and think of them and things like cell phones and computers to be legends and myths of an age long gone. Most household technology should be mid-18th century-ish, but there should definitely be remnants of things that are decidedly anachronistic (such as the rare radio, or power tools and basic electricity).

----
I will not post much, seeing as how my access to the internet is rare, oddly enough in the modern age. But so far I have

*Tiles
*Map making of caves
*Drawing and rendering
*And I am starting to implement beings.

I don't expect to finish it before I get a new/fixed computer and resume my more important projects, but until then I vow to work on this to keep my skills up.

Have a great day!
-Brittany

Lonely Girl in Denver, I like making  games that require thought (Puzzles, 4Xs, Strategy, Turn-Based board games). Currently working on a Cute Collectible Card Game for Console and Mobile devices
Quarry
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2012, 10:35:26 AM »

Any progress other than an idea
amidos2006
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2012, 09:18:48 AM »

Liked the name alot Smiley

FemtoKitten
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2012, 05:17:27 PM »

Any progress other than an idea
Since I last posted I:
*Implemented Items (one fun thing is that 'junk' items have linerar exploitation based on their value to determine their color, dark gray is pure trash, greenish is high, and pink is in the middle)
*Implemented Maps (still need random map making, a strong specialty of mine Smiley )
*Implemented Weaponry (And guns!)
*Implemented 'Beings' the generic sub-class for all living things, like wolves and soldiers.
*Implemented attacks (for some reason I made it so that a punch has a splash of a single tile, don't know why I did it... just thought it would make sense since if you're throwing your fist around it would hit others)

Oh yes:
I redid the tile class, so that it is more generic and has the ability to make my storage of maps easier. The primary change was making it interference friendly, so now the different types of areas can have more specialized (and separated from the herd) tile types.

It is coming along far faster than I thought it would, then again spending the USA election night staying up and coding it all together. (But found out Marijuana is soon to be legal in my state.... along with hemp based manufacturing. First 40 million USD raised in taxes goes towards public schools each year too)

Hand Joystick Survival, 2D side scroller?

Seems to be going that way, it is less rougelike in idea and more survival and exploration of the world. I was going with a rougelike type thing but it ended up deviating from it in the long run.

Liked the name alot Smiley

I like it too, the name is taken from an abandoned design document, has a nice ring to it... but it gives a generic idea of what's it like.

___

Last time I was on a library computer, which they blocked because it was 'game content'... I suppose so in a limited way, but this forum is more for the art of games rather than games themselves.

Today I am on a friend's computer typing this... quite fun this.

Like I said, I won't be here much because having access to the internet is rare for me right now... have a great day all!

Lonely Girl in Denver, I like making  games that require thought (Puzzles, 4Xs, Strategy, Turn-Based board games). Currently working on a Cute Collectible Card Game for Console and Mobile devices
amidos2006
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2012, 01:34:19 PM »

Last time I was on a library computer, which they blocked because it was 'game content'... I suppose so in a limited way, but this forum is more for the art of games rather than games themselves.

Today I am on a friend's computer typing this... quite fun this.

Like I said, I won't be here much because having access to the internet is rare for me right now... have a great day all!

That's bad Hope you can get a fixed internet access soon Smiley

FemtoKitten
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2012, 09:42:14 PM »

^eh, a mixed blessing. I get a lot more done, but also I feel cut off from the world (I can't watch BBC to get my news on everything forever).

In the past few days I:

*Created the first enemy (A zombie, I plan on making it a mash-up of all the possible apocalypses... so some dark humor can be had while you try your hardest to survive)... but without implementing the Player yet (I am playing with Ravioli code... everything is encapsulated to the maximum. It has some disadvantages.) it will take a while to get the gameplay working properly.

*I have a office building generator working nicely, they are actually far easier to make than dungeons or caves or land masses.

*And I made an odd design decision, I made it real-time (with pause to be implemented) but with a really old school feel with all the display being constrained to a grid of 22x22 tiles. Which allows for either standard one character display for objects or really short 2-3 character objects. A friend told me that she thought my game was going to turn out like a rougelike mixed with a 2D Fallout (the newer ones) from the 1970s... I don't know if it will be accurate, but this is all an adventure for me being new to RPGs but not simulations.

Sorry to all of those who keep seeing this keep popping up at the top at seemingly random times, but I come in when I can and update my progress.

amidos2006
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2012, 12:50:56 AM »

That's nice Smiley Hope u can upload screenshot of video trailer of what you are saying soon Smiley I wanna see it in action Smiley

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic