Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411630 Posts in 69393 Topics- by 58447 Members - Latest Member: sinsofsven

May 12, 2024, 02:43:02 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperArt (Moderator: JWK5)A Certain Artist
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: A Certain Artist  (Read 4492 times)
SolarLune
Level 10

It's been eons

View Profile WWW
« on: August 29, 2011, 07:44:05 PM »

Hey. I was thinking about doing some art that is basically pixel-art on top of 3D meshes. Someone else did this before, and I would like to imitate his style to help learn a little bit about 3D modeling, but I can't find his site (or name). If I recall, he did things like really low-poly cars and people with bright, pixelled art and textures on them - it really made them pop. Anybody know who I'm talking about?

blinkok
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2011, 08:21:08 PM »

maybe http://www.kennethfejer.com/

My 2D Stuff twitter: @blinkok
Xion
Pixelhead
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2011, 08:21:41 PM »

kenneth fejer?
http://www.kennethfejer.com/

dammit you beat me to it.

SolarLune
Level 10

It's been eons

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2011, 09:47:40 PM »

That's exactly who I was thinking of. Someone referenced him on an Art thread or somewhere like that. Thanks for the links, you guys.

leonelc29
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2011, 10:50:48 PM »

wow, the lowpoly 3D model really have some Megaman Legend-y look! Kiss
SolarLune
Level 10

It's been eons

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2011, 06:50:58 AM »

While looking around for low-poly info, I found a user named MadPXL from Polycount who made this:

Concerned I wish I could model and texture that well...

EDIT: Maybe there should be a low-poly section on the forums for 3D art like this.

Xion
Pixelhead
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2011, 08:52:44 AM »

Art is art! put it all in the art section. No discrimination.

you might check out
http://www.wayofthepixel.net/pixelation/index.php?board=17.0
, though, if you're lookin for a place more focused on that kind of thing.

Nate Kling
Pixelhead
Level 9

Caliber9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2011, 06:01:38 PM »

... or the 3d section. There is a lot of lowpoly pixely stuff already in there.  But there should always be more  Wink

Hempuliā€½
Level 10

Sweet potatoes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2011, 12:48:47 AM »

---
« Last Edit: September 07, 2013, 05:23:00 PM by Hempuli‽ » Logged

sublinimal
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2011, 02:27:06 AM »

Also Tommy Tallian of course.
http://tomtallian.com/pages/tf2.html

Those look surprisingly good, especially how all the detail still seems to be conserved. Definitely fits the cartoony, unrealistic theme of TF2 - not sure if it's a direct improvement to what we have now, but it's at least a successful alternative.
Pixelgent
Level 1

Pixels and Polygons

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2011, 07:29:54 PM »

tennis tommy madpxl ilkke and myself all do this kind of lowpoly+pixelart. Any questions you have don't be afraid to ask. I don't claim to be as good as them but if i can help i will.

some pointers

1. sometimes its better to make the texture first when dealing with such low res things.
2. snap is your friend.
3. (im not great with this one) but using a color palette is a great idea.

SolarLune
Level 10

It's been eons

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2011, 10:14:09 PM »

@willy-wilson - I love your style - the truck is so detailed to be only a few triangles. I see what you mean about making the texture first being easier - it seems like certain objects would be ridiculously difficult to make without a guide of some sort for where the 'important' polygons should go.

Now, you texture your objects on the image / unwrap UV's first manually, right? I've been using Blender's Smart UV Unwrap. It usually gets all faces on the texture without overlapping or going out of the bounds of the image, but it can have a lot of wasted space since it doesn't know where the 'important' polygons are. You manually unwrap the UV's?

Delicious
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2011, 10:27:33 PM »

Awesome stuff, etc...

I really want to get into lowpoly + pixel art, and since you said "don't be afraid to ask", then here I am! I really like that truck, and various other works you've done. I'm wondering what program you use and if you can point me in the direction to a tutorial which explains how to do exactly that? The shapes for various cars, trucks and how to add in the pixeled map/texture? If not, do you have time to explain how it's done? I would really appreciate it, but it's alright if you don't have the time. :B

Edit - Sorry for high jacking the thread, but I assumed it's ok to ask here since the question has been answered. Though I guess I should've PM'd Willy instead, but too late. :x

Blah Blah Blah <3
Twitter - Zjdelicious
Ashkin
« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2011, 10:59:20 PM »

Awesome stuff, etc...

I really want to get into lowpoly + pixel art, and since you said "don't be afraid to ask", then here I am! I really like that truck, and various other works you've done. I'm wondering what program you use and if you can point me in the direction to a tutorial which explains how to do exactly that? The shapes for various cars, trucks and how to add in the pixeled map/texture? If not, do you have time to explain how it's done? I would really appreciate it, but it's alright if you don't have the time. :B

Edit - Sorry for high jacking the thread, but I assumed it's ok to ask here since the question has been answered. Though I guess I should've PM'd Willy instead, but too late. :x
I would like some help with lowpoly work too. I learned Blender at some point, forgot it, tried to pick it up again recently, then gave up because working in 3D is so much more unweildy than 2D. That extra dimension really annoys me.
Kramlack
« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2011, 11:16:55 PM »

Willy should make a tutorial because I'd like to learn his magical secrets too.
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2011, 11:58:45 PM »

1. sometimes its better to make the texture first when dealing with such low res things.

I don't see any practical reason here. You would need to adjust the 3D model to the texture afterwards and I can imagine all the hassle with stretched pixels.

Pixelgent
Level 1

Pixels and Polygons

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: September 02, 2011, 01:33:02 AM »

Its something that really helped me when i was starting to do it, it made things much faster and things much easier to get the mesh to pixel perfect scale.

and when doing stuff like this stretched pixels are your friend.

with this piece the uv for the trunk is only 1 pixel wide and being stretched over the whole thing. i made it as wide as the texture to pretty it up but that could really all be blank space as well.

I will see if i cant get something together i have this sat off so i will try and make a tutorial record something or write something up.
caffeine
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 02, 2011, 12:33:01 PM »

I will see if i cant get something together i have this sat off so i will try and make a tutorial record something or write something up.

Yes please.
Delicious
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 02, 2011, 03:11:26 PM »

Yes please.
Seconded. Would love that if you could. Smiley

Please and thanks!

Blah Blah Blah <3
Twitter - Zjdelicious
Dugan
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: September 03, 2011, 08:02:14 AM »

AWESOME TRUCK!

Pages: [1] 2
Print