Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411621 Posts in 69391 Topics- by 58447 Members - Latest Member: sinsofsven

May 10, 2024, 09:26:56 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperArt (Moderator: JWK5)Setting - the mood...
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Setting - the mood...  (Read 1134 times)
baconman
Level 10

Design Guru

View Profile WWW
« on: September 08, 2011, 07:50:01 PM »

Okay, so we all know the staples of gaming. The fields, forests, deserts, ice level, fire level, castle/dungeon. It's all been done to a science. But really, one thing that really defines some games' mood is a good thematic setting.

What are some of your favorite ficticious settings to experience certain game types in? (Living rooms and arcades nonwithstanding.)

Bree
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2011, 10:20:36 PM »

Most of Tim Schafer's games have, if nothing else, a great world for the players to inhabit. Grim Fandango was a film-noir take on the Mexican afterlife, Psychonauts split itself between trippy mental planes and quirky summer camp, and Brutal Legend was an over-the-top metal fantasy land.
Starflier
Level 2

I can't see how this could possibly go wrong...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2011, 10:44:08 PM »

What are some of your favorite ficticious settings to experience certain game types in? (Living rooms and arcades nonwithstanding.)

Actually, are there any video games set in arcades? I'm thinking that would make for a pretty awesome FPS deathmatch map...

Adventure games kind of rule setting I think, The games at (Text) Games for (Space) Crows, all have really immersive settings. The text is light, but the creator is good at mentioning the things you would notice in the situation, and creating a mood. They also tend to be all steampunk, so yeah

Ben304's Games all have very cool and unique aesthetics. He has a way of taking a setting that should be fairly familiar, and making it seem alien. Airwave is my favorite thus far. It's setting is a small hick town, but that archetypal location is skewed and warped so that it feels dark and interesting.

And Machinarium... Yeah, I don't think I need to say much about that one

Metal Snail Idea Workshop - Hey, there's actually a website there now X(
Cats in the Kitchen - It's a comic about cooking, and the cooks that do it...
:^)
Level 10

wat a hell

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2011, 10:46:17 PM »

Cohesive assets.
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2011, 03:10:59 AM »

I loved Terminator Future Shock's Terminator universe. I don't think it can be ever surpassed. Not sure if that is a licence game of any sort... but it's definitely best Terminator-themed game ever. I don't also think it could be remade, sometimes it is hard to catch the essence of what makes something suberb. This game is very unique and so moody. Final Skynet-level is terrifying, those know who have being there. I think I'll try if I can fire it up with DosBox...

leonelc29
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2011, 06:18:45 AM »

love those game set in post-apocalypse(like...nuclear? alien invasion?) like half-life 2(onward) and fallout(i only played Brotherhood of Steel though). i like to imagine how the other's life in those place.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic