Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411630 Posts in 69393 Topics- by 58447 Members - Latest Member: sinsofsven

May 12, 2024, 12:03:31 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperArt (Moderator: JWK5)The "rough painted" look in video games?
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: The "rough painted" look in video games?  (Read 5248 times)
InkBlotBunny
Level 1

View Profile
« on: September 19, 2011, 03:24:15 PM »

I really love the rough "concept" art style and was wondering if this style had any potential in the video game industry.

Would you play a 2D platformer/RPG with this kind of art?

Examples:
Monster Hunter Fire Snail

By: http://roboto-kun.deviantart.com/

China Tower
http://torvenius.deviantart.com/gallery/?offset=96#/d1jirh2
By: http://torvenius.deviantart.com/
Nix
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2011, 03:47:26 PM »

yes I would
McMutton
Level 10

McMutton

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2011, 05:14:45 PM »

Aye
EssentialNutrients
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2011, 05:20:57 PM »

the rough painted look is easily one of my favorite art styles, and i absolutely love that man's work.  it really would depend on the genre in my opinion.

EDIT:  I didn't notice you mentioned platformer/rpg, I think that could be very interesting.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2011, 05:26:07 PM by Imp » Logged
InkBlotBunny
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2011, 05:27:29 PM »

Okay, then I guess my second question is... Why don't more games use this type of style? The only game that I can think of that even comes close is Braid, but thats still not quite the same.
Bree
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2011, 05:36:52 PM »

Didn't Bastion have a style similar to this? Either way, it looks awesome.
Inane
TIGSource Editor
Level 10

Arsenic for the Art Forum

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2011, 05:38:19 PM »

It's not used because it's unpredictable. While it's faster to make a single picture with the rough style than a more refined one, it's much more difficult to make consistent, which in turn makes it much more difficult to animate. The textures and brushes, the hallmark of concept art, have to be emulated or made more predictable to use them in sprites.

Lurk of Moacube is pretty close:

But he's posted tutorials on how he works on these forums before (I however don't want to spend time finding the thread Epileptic): before things end up a this point they're the same rough concept art style you see everywhere, and the shifting textures and values look predictably 'wrong'.

real art looks like the mona lisa or a halo poster and is about being old or having your wife die and sometimes the level goes in reverse
Bree
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2011, 06:11:46 PM »

Actually, one could argue LOVE did it too, through some fancy extra filters. The game mentioned above looks quite nice.
InkBlotBunny
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2011, 06:25:13 PM »

Yeah I guess animation would be pretty tricky... There are still simple animation techniques like what Game and watch (and paper mario?) use to make up for that though. Making a game that requires little to no animation (like point and click games) is also another option.
moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2011, 06:52:49 PM »

There are many games with this style already, but I'm not going to search for examples right now.
Look around XBLIG though
the problem is that when everything moves, it starts looking a lot less pretty because it loses the "blending together" quality, and it tends to look like paper cutouts

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
Jared C
Level 10

hostess with the mostess

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2011, 07:54:37 PM »

I would imagine not too many people have the artistic ability/time or effort to create so many elements of a full game, nor to implement them, either.

Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2011, 01:00:17 AM »

Bad painters trying to make good game art. Sad.

Study masters.

leonelc29
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2011, 02:38:36 AM »

Monster Hunter Fire Snail

i wound wanna fight this monster.

for your 1st question, yes.

2nd question: rough painted artwork might look great in still picture, but may/may not work when in motion, as 2d game usually come with sprite, and it need a lot of blending(sort of) kind of stuff to make it look like what rough painted concept art.

@1982
try to love.
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2011, 02:55:55 AM »

@1982
try to love.

I love what I like, but I accept and understand what I don't like ...thou at the same time trying unsuccessfully making them better  Durr...?

InkBlotBunny
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2011, 07:51:06 AM »

I love what I like, but I accept and understand what I don't like ...thou at the same time trying unsuccessfully making them better  Durr...?

You don't sound accepting or understanding. Though judging by your avatar you must have exquisite taste in art and are definitely in a position to insult successful artistes and art styles...  Roll Eyes
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2011, 08:16:02 AM »

Though judging by your avatar you must have exquisite taste in art and are definitely in a position to insult successful artistes and art styles...  Roll Eyes

I can be what ever position I want. It is up to others how they cope with that. But in general, there is no need to get very excited about any written word that doesn't have coherent backing. Sometimes I give something meaningful, sometimes not like in this case. Except for hint that people should study masters.

What is you stand?

InkBlotBunny
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2011, 08:46:48 AM »

Though judging by your avatar you must have exquisite taste in art and are definitely in a position to insult successful artistes and art styles...  Roll Eyes

I can be what ever position I want. It is up to others how they cope with that. But in general, there is no need to get very excited about any written word that doesn't have coherent backing. Sometimes I give something meaningful, sometimes not like in this case. Except for hint that people should study masters.

What is you stand?

Thats true, you can take whatever position you want but this isn't the first topic I've seen where you've simply tired to insult someones work with an unconstructive and close minded comment without anything to back it. Art is based completely on each individuals interpretation. This style speaks to me more then any other style, even those done by what you consider masters, and if they "improved" or changed then I would no longer feel a connection to the art.

In my opinion an artist is a master once they're able to successfully convey their emotions and ideas through their work. So it that sense these people are just as much a "master" as any artiest you could name.
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 20, 2011, 09:00:34 AM »

In my opinion an artist is a master once they're able to successfully convey their emotions and ideas through their work. So it that sense these people are just as much a "master" as any artiest you could name.

I'd say that such artist is successful, but master artist is something that changes humankind and culture more than successful one.

I feel sorry if you feel that I am insulting, it is not my intention. Provoking feelings and commentary however is, and this thread has been too successful in that sense being also derailing way too much. So I end it here.

InkBlotBunny
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 20, 2011, 09:48:58 AM »

I'd say that such artist is successful, but master artist is something that changes humankind and culture more than successful one.

That brings up another topic that I would be interested in hearing peoples opinions on. I may sound like an idiot but I kinda feel like theres a lot of luck and "making the right thing at the right time" involved in creating something that changes humankind. Imagine if Shakespeare wrote his plays in modern time, would he have beed as successful? How about Leonardo da Vinci and the Mona Lisa? I personally don't think being a master of the arts and making something that changes humankind is really a conscious decision. It's just doing the best you can at what your passionate about.

I feel sorry if you feel that I am insulting, it is not my intention. Provoking feelings and commentary however is, and this thread has been too successful in that sense being also derailing way too much. So I end it here.

Theres nothing wrong with provoking feelings and commentary , in fact I respect that, but could you do it in a more constructive way? "Bad painters trying to make good game art. Sad." Doesn't really inspire thought provoking conversation...
Nix
« Reply #19 on: September 20, 2011, 02:52:13 PM »

being a douche bag is a fucking art
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic