Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411625 Posts in 69391 Topics- by 58447 Members - Latest Member: sinsofsven

May 11, 2024, 07:38:45 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperArt (Moderator: JWK5)Holding your pencil/pen
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Holding your pencil/pen  (Read 1004 times)
WelcomeToAwesomeness
« on: October 02, 2011, 09:36:32 PM »

Ever since I was little I have always held my pencil in the "wrong" way. I would clench it with all my fingers, with my pinky near the bottom and my thumb and other fingers near the top. Holding it that way just felt natural to me, and I ignored how everyone else did it. Much to the avail of my second-grade teacher, I still do this. Do you think it would be necessary to learn how to hold my pencil in the correct way? How do you hold your pencil/pen? Would it improve my art in any way?
Inanimate
Level 10

☆HERO OF JUSTICE!☆

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2011, 10:00:06 PM »

I hold my pencil uniquely as well. It just gives me callouses, but that's about it. I don't think it matters too much, at least, your position -- sometimes it  smudges the art a little.
Farfin
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2011, 10:05:36 PM »

Changing the way you hold your pencil will probably set your art back until you learn over in the new way anyhow. I see no reason to change might as well build with what you already have.

InkBlotBunny
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2011, 10:12:08 PM »

I've always held my pencil the "right" way and I still have pretty bad hand writing...
baconman
Level 10

Design Guru

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2011, 11:18:34 PM »

With me, it depends on what I'm going for. If I'm going for shapes and lines, or similar drafting things, I'll anchor it between my thumb and birdie finger, and direct it with my index. It works like drawing a circle or line with my finger. If I'm doodling stuff with more flavor like characters, I'll anchor it between my thumb and index, and direct it with my birdie finger. Usually my ring/pinky fingers just curl up behind it.

EDIT: Now, if I could just get my computer/touchpad to be equally responsive...

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic