Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411630 Posts in 69393 Topics- by 58447 Members - Latest Member: sinsofsven

May 11, 2024, 02:49:07 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperArt (Moderator: JWK5)Finding an Icon developer for my game
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Finding an Icon developer for my game  (Read 1093 times)
worldalpha
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: October 04, 2011, 08:25:33 AM »

Hey All,

It has been awhile since I developed a game. I'm developing a Web-based MMORTS. It is going to have a lot of icons. Probably in the range of 200 to 300 icons. I'm debating how to go about getting them. These are the 3 options I can think of.

1.) I like Iconshock icons. I probably could get about 100 of them from their library, and use them to develop the other 100 to 200. It would be $400 plus $25 per custom. So total budget of about $4000.

Advantages - I can get 100 "instantly". I know the quality of the work.

Disadvantage - The first 100 images, could be in other projects on the Net.

2.) Use elance, odesk, etc. to find someone really cheap to develop all of them from scratch. I would assume, I could get a decent worker, who could do them for $5 to $10 a pop.

Advantage - probably the cheapest option

Disadvantage - not sure of quality initially (even with a few samples) Don't know how long it might take

3.) Hire a local graphic artist/designer - Part-time
 I would assume that a good icon takes an hour to that could be $18 to $25 a pop

Advantage - would be able to work alongside developer

Disadvantage - Have to search and find a developer willing to work part-time on the project.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Mike

Review your favorite MMO or Social Game at http://www.review.worldalpha.com

worldalpha
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2011, 10:18:48 AM »

Any suggestions?

PompiPompi
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2011, 12:22:27 PM »

Err, you don't "Develop" icons, you draw\design them.
If you can't do it on your own, then yea, either buy a stack of them from some sort of place that sells icon(never looked for that) or pay for an artist.
An artist will probably give you the best quality(assuming you hired a good artist), but will probably be more expensive.
So it's up to you how much time\money\quality you need and want to invest.
We can't tell you what you need.
I would suggest thinking of those three things(time\money\quality) and after you know their quanteties you can look for solutions.

Master of all trades.
Jacob Pariseau
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2011, 07:14:03 PM »

You are almost definitely not going to get any offers unless you show a screenshot of the game, or some screenshots of images that look like what your game is planned to. Artists tend to have a specific style they profess at, and without knowing what the style is, they won't want to offer and then decline immediately once they realise they can't do your style Smiley
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic