Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411629 Posts in 69392 Topics- by 58447 Members - Latest Member: sinsofsven

May 11, 2024, 01:35:32 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperArt (Moderator: JWK5)Creating unique pixel art
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Creating unique pixel art  (Read 5469 times)
InkBlotBunny
Level 1

View Profile
« on: October 06, 2011, 11:46:28 PM »

Am I the only one that has trouble creating unique looking sprites? Every time i sit down I end up making something that looks ripped off or stolen and when I finally make something new I get paranoid that I'll be sued for ripping off a game I've never even seen before.

It's so hard making something new when all you have is a 16x16 canvas.  Cry

Right? or am I just being stupid?
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2011, 11:47:34 PM »

Just do sprites that look good to you and which you like.

If you like uniqueness just the sake of it, then try harder.

Inane
TIGSource Editor
Level 10

Arsenic for the Art Forum

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2011, 01:19:37 AM »

If you're working in 16x16, there's not much you can do. You could try not exaggerating a character's head and just not have recognizable facial features. Shrug

real art looks like the mona lisa or a halo poster and is about being old or having your wife die and sometimes the level goes in reverse
caffeine
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2011, 01:46:27 AM »

If you're working in 16x16, there's not much you can do. You could try not exaggerating a character's head and just not have recognizable facial features. Shrug

This.

And you could also try to differentiate in color and the use of outlines.

InkBlotBunny
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2011, 02:08:05 AM »

Hmm... Well maybe instead I should be asking: How similar in style can your graphics be to another and still be considered accptable?

Example

This is a character sheet used in the RPG maker VX engine.

And this is a fan made character sheet based on some harry potter characters.

Now clearly the fan was heavily inspired by the originals but they were still made by the fan and there are subtle differences that set them apart. Now what if the fan used his or her images in a commercial game and intended to make money off of it? Is that illegal, just frowned upon or completely acceptable?

Obviously this is a pretty extreme example but do you see what i'm getting at? Where is the line?
dek
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2011, 03:00:55 AM »

Hmm... Well maybe instead I should be asking: How similar in style can your graphics be to another and still be considered accptable?

Example

This is a character sheet used in the RPG maker VX engine.

And this is a fan made character sheet based on some harry potter characters.

Now clearly the fan was heavily inspired by the originals but they were still made by the fan and there are subtle differences that set them apart. Now what if the fan used his or her images in a commercial game and intended to make money off of it? Is that illegal, just frowned upon or completely acceptable?

Obviously this is a pretty extreme example but do you see what i'm getting at? Where is the line?

I'd say that it is definitely acceptable, especially in the world of 16 / 32 pixel sprites. Everyone gets inspiration somewhere, and all I see that this guy took away are the proportions. The RPG maker sprite sheet is nothing new either, it is likely to be the offspring of inspiration aswell.

Lets take a look at what the guy is actually taking away. Size, propotions. Saying that he took away the way eyes/hair are drawn would be too much (it is common manga style that has been used by everyone since forever, the RPGmaker sprite sheet does not invent this). Same thing goes for the shading / color choices. Nothing new here. I would not even call this example extreme at all. Just because someone creates something that looks compareable to someone elses work does not mean you can attribute all the rights to one of the creator, because chances are that both of the pieces are part of some kind of art style / movement / cultural influence that has been around for a long time and is used by many others. In this case: Big headed manga characters with cute eyes, colorful hair and small bodyparts in shiny armor, also called chibi. You will find these in thousands of games.

TLDR; I agree that these look alike but the original does not contain anything that is not part of a common style used by many.

Edit: The only thing I would frown upon here would be the "fan" if he denies being inspired by the RPG maker spritesheet.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2011, 03:30:02 AM by dek » Logged

InkBlotBunny
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2011, 03:31:17 AM »

The only thing I would frown upon here would be the "fan" if he denies being inspired by the RPG maker spritesheet.

I'm pretty sure they mentioned it on their deviantArt page. But what if they used the graphics in a mobile game? Would they need to credit all the sources of "inspiration" in the credits or something?
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2011, 04:14:59 AM »

I'm pretty sure they mentioned it on their deviantArt page. But what if they used the graphics in a mobile game? Would they need to credit all the sources of "inspiration" in the credits or something?

They don't have to, but it is nice and good practice.

In general, it is far more less risky to draw similar graphics that has been already made for ages and is easily to categorize inside some definitive style, than trying to make very unique graphics and only later to find out it was done already. More unique the style, more protective the original author and fan community is towards it.

InkBlotBunny
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2011, 04:26:32 AM »

More unique the style, more protective the original author and fan community is towards it.

Thats definitely true but I've never thought of it like that... Interesting. Unfortunately it's in my nature to always try and come up with something completely new.  Shrug
caffeine
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2011, 04:28:51 AM »

In this case it would be plagiarism if they would sell the sprites. Since they used the originals as a template, and as far as I can see "frankensprited" some parts. (They where not JUST inspired)
But when it comes to 16x16px sprites, you can hardly plagiarize anything. Because the amount of pixels is just too little to make something completely different. Which means most sprites will look alike even if they were done from scratch without using any inspiration whatsoever.

Just my 2 cents.
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2011, 04:39:11 AM »

Unfortunately it's in my nature to always try and come up with something completely new.  Shrug

That is fortunate. You should push it if that is your thing, and not worry so much about what ifs.

gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2011, 08:11:08 AM »

New for the sake of new is bad, new must be purposeful. If your intent is similar in tone and emotion you are likely to end up with the same visual solution. Jrpg style sprite emphasis cuteness and visual expression, this give the chibi looking style. Wrpg used to emphasis reality and grittyness have a different visual solution. Animator like miguelito make the emphasis on the whole body shape, pose and animation ( ).

So To makes something new ask yourself what are the value, emotion, tone, personality and only then you will be able to know how you might use the visual channel to devise a visual solution that fit its purpose.

InkBlotBunny
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2011, 02:13:28 PM »

All of you guys advice is extremely helpful and exactly what I was looking for, thanks.  Smiley
im9today
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2011, 02:47:07 PM »

bladum
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2011, 12:29:03 PM »

removed
« Last Edit: July 18, 2015, 09:43:11 PM by bladum » Logged
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic