Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411576 Posts in 69386 Topics- by 58444 Members - Latest Member: darkcitien

May 05, 2024, 04:38:13 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsHoney Rose: UFE (OUT NOW!)
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17
Print
Author Topic: Honey Rose: UFE (OUT NOW!)  (Read 39282 times)
PetterBergmar
Level 2

Animator by day, gamemaker by night. And fridays.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #280 on: August 19, 2016, 01:49:40 AM »

Congratulations! Must be very satisfying to have completed such a cool game!

Twitter: @pbergmar
Pehesse
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #281 on: August 19, 2016, 02:30:32 AM »

Congratulations! Must be very satisfying to have completed such a cool game!

I still can't really believe it, to be honest! I'm half-expecting the other shoe to drop, and find out it doesn't work, or that I've forgotten the other half of the game somewhere! I'm hoping tester feedback will be positive... we'll see, I'll keep you posted :-D

Pehesse
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #282 on: September 10, 2016, 12:18:46 AM »

So...

..yeah.

http://store.steampowered.com//app/523680

SEPTEMBER 30TH!

Pehesse
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #283 on: September 29, 2016, 02:09:24 AM »

So, tomorrow's the Big Day, and I'm keeping busy by crossing the i's, and dotting the t's.

Of course, I'll only know the extend of the mistakes I'm about to make when disaster strikes, but for now... it looks like I really only have to sit back and push that big green button come tomorrow? We'll see what happens. Either way, it's been a wild ride so far - a bit too early to talk about it conclusively, even though it's reaching the end.

We'll talk more tomorrow after release, and I'll finally update that progress bar, but for now, if you want to catch up on the latest media about Honey, here's a small collection of what's been written and said about the game recently!

September 28th: Let's play Part 1 by Need2Know Gaming

September 22nd: Interview on Console-toi by Thomas Gibert (in french)

http://www.console-toi.fr/interview-honey-rose-underdog-fighter-extraordinaire-65319

September 20th, 2016: Playthrough Part Two by Phya

September 19th, 2016: Article on Indiemag.fr by Seldell (in french)

https://www.indiemag.fr/articles/honey-rose-gerez-votre-temps-entre-vie-detudiante-catcheuse

September 15th, 2016: Playthrough Part One by Phya

September 14th: Honey Rose: Chasing A Dream As A Gameplay Mechanic by Joel Couture, on Indiegames.com

http://indiegames.com/2016/09/honey_rose_chasing_a_dream_as_.html

oldblood
Level 10

...Not again.

View Profile
« Reply #284 on: September 29, 2016, 05:15:45 AM »

I know the last few days before release are nerve-wrecking. Fingers crossed for you! Best of luck on the launch tomorrow, you've put a lot of hard work and love into this project and I hope it's incredibly successful for you.

Pehesse
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #285 on: September 29, 2016, 06:00:46 AM »

I know the last few days before release are nerve-wrecking. Fingers crossed for you! Best of luck on the launch tomorrow, you've put a lot of hard work and love into this project and I hope it's incredibly successful for you.

Thank you so much, Jon ;_;

oldroutes
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #286 on: September 29, 2016, 06:05:09 AM »

Looking at this evolve on here and other message boards has been really motivating!

Congrats!
Pehesse
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #287 on: September 29, 2016, 06:06:42 AM »

Looking at this evolve on here and other message boards has been really motivating!

Congrats!

Thanks a lot! That's really all I could ask for... I'm hoping the game will be well received and entertain players, of course, but if it has served to motivate someone to make something of their own, like other devlogs and games have for me, that's really all that matters!

Pehesse
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #288 on: September 29, 2016, 06:34:25 PM »

Well, I've done it - it's 4:30AM here, meaning it's technically the 30th even though I should be fast asleep, so I pushed the green button and THE GAME IS OUT NOW OH MY GOD

To recap, it's available:

-on steam: http://store.steampowered.com/app/523680/
-on itch.io: https://pehesse.itch.io/honey-rose-ufe
-on its own site: http://pehesse.fr/honey/en/get-the-game/

The soundtrack is available here: https://morusque.bandcamp.com/album/honey-rose

To accompany the launch, I've made a release manual instead of a release trailer, because I love manuals more than trailers. They keep you company longer! http://pehesse.fr/honey/access/Honey_DigitalManual.pdf

There's lots more that needs to be said, but I'll wait for the dust to settle a bit before coming back.

For now, I hope all of you willing to jump in will like what you see, and I hope you'll be back in here to tell me either way!
« Last Edit: September 30, 2016, 12:36:05 AM by Pehesse » Logged

Alec S.
Level 10

Formerly Malec2b

View Profile WWW
« Reply #289 on: September 30, 2016, 03:24:35 AM »

Congrats on the launch!

Tuba
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #290 on: September 30, 2016, 03:45:46 AM »

Congratulations! Smiley

Pehesse
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #291 on: September 30, 2016, 06:32:16 AM »

Congrats on the launch!

Congratulations! Smiley

Thank you both!! :-D

I'm scouring the net for any news about Honey, and so far, I've found articles on indiegames.com, PC Gamer, and a review on Kill Screen - far from glowing, but honest, and I like that very much! Read it all below!

http://indiegames.com/2016/09/part_beat_em_up_part_visual_no.html#more
http://www.pcgamer.com/fighting-gamevisual-novel-honey-rose-releases-today/
https://killscreen.com/articles/honey-rose-relatable-schoolgirl-luchador/

b∀ kkusa
Global Moderator
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #292 on: October 03, 2016, 05:15:35 AM »

congratulations on the release.

just wondered about how you came up with the decision/strategy for the way you're selling your game (which i find pretty special), pay what you want.

what is the most sold package?
Pehesse
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #293 on: October 03, 2016, 06:32:03 AM »

congratulations on the release.

just wondered about how you came up with the decision/strategy for the way you're selling your game (which i find pretty special), pay what you want.

what is the most sold package?

Thanks a lot!

As for your question, it's actually layered and a bit complex, so my answer will be long, please bear with me!

First of all, pay-what-you-want is nothing new: itch.io has been doing it for quite a while, as well as numerous indie-centric platforms. It's also a staple of several other industries. Steam is lacking in that respect, as no such model is available, so I was looking for a way to implement a "pay-what-you-want" type model using their systems.

The idea to use DLC has been suggested by a member during the Greenlight campaign. I decided to present it as a "tiered suggestions" representing what I think to be the "classic" pricepoints, the aim being that none of these would ever go on sale, so they'd need to reflect a wide range. I didn't want to go too high with any single DLC, since it's possible to buy them all separately and thus, give more money - a possibility I wanted, but I also wanted to "cap", to avoid putting the weight of the model on a few select enthusiasts. My aim for this model is to offer all players a choice, and call to their sense of enjoyment and responsibility: did they enjoy the game they played? Do they understand that a game like this costs in the tens of thousands to make, both in dollars and man-hours? If so, then I want them to have the opportunity to support the project, but I don't want this opportunity to become a barrier of entry. If they so choose, the game is entirely free, and will remain so, even should the model completely fail.

This idea in and of itself is also nothing new, and it was basically the principle behind the "shareware" model of the 90's, except it used a paywall tactic at the time to ensure payment: the content was usually limited, and access to the rest of the game was restricted to paying users. I aimed to open both the accessible content, and to make the range of possible payment as wide as I could according to the pay-what-you-want models.

In the end, on my site and on itch.io, the model is truly "pay-what-you-want", while on Steam it's a stand-in, using their built in systems in another way. There have already been examples of games using DLC in a similar fashion (the "buy a certificate" or "buy the dev a coffee" DLC are notable ones), but to my knowledge, none had coupled them with a free game with the explicit goal to make the DLC the remuneration, not the base price.

As for why I decided to use this model at all in the first place... to be perfectly honest, I find the current big-budget industry practices to be morally wrong and often predatory, and I find the industry as a whole to be dismissive towards its creators and audience both. Indies are often obligated to bow to the accepted practices and operate along the same rules, if not at the same level. I believe a change is necessary, and I'd like to try something different!

So far, it's much too early to determine if the model will be a success or not, as by design it should happen over a longer period of time than traditional ones. While the very early remuneration numbers aren't encouraging (player numbers are, though!), I find the overall attitude and reception towards the model itself positive and I'm hopeful to be able to report positive results in the months to come!

As to your last question: the two packages the most sold so far have been the "symbolic" tier and the "above and beyond" tier, which are respectively the cheapest and most expensive. The first one should come as no surprise and is completely understandable and expected, but the second one is the true surprise, and the sign that the model may turn into a viable remuneration model, not simply a good idea, or so I hope!

« Last Edit: October 03, 2016, 06:51:52 AM by Pehesse » Logged

ArmanDoesStuff
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #294 on: October 03, 2016, 09:28:01 AM »

This looks awesome! Grin
oldblood
Level 10

...Not again.

View Profile
« Reply #295 on: October 03, 2016, 11:32:38 AM »

Thanks for the transparency. I hope after you've had some time to digest the numbers (of players, buyers etc) that you will share a peak at the data or your analysis of it. Hopefully you're a trend setter on this front!

Pehesse
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #296 on: October 03, 2016, 11:42:54 AM »

This looks awesome! Grin

Thanks for the transparency. I hope after you've had some time to digest the numbers (of players, buyers etc) that you will share a peak at the data or your analysis of it. Hopefully you're a trend setter on this front!

That's absolutely the intent! In fact, I could start right now, even though the numbers are still so early they don't really mean much. So, three days in, we're at:
-number of free licenses granted (=number of people who got the game)= 3,706
-number of first time downloads = 930 (so basically 1 in 4 players downloaded)
-number of DLC buys = 67 (so 1.8% of total players)

Of these, the Symbolic Tier (lowest) has been bought 19 times, the Humble Tier has been bought 11, the Sale Tier has been bought 9, and the Above and Beyond has been bought 7 (so the numbers have shifted a bit from what I posted earlier, but still). All in all, the revenue so far has been 424 dollars, though I have no idea if that includes steam cut or not, and it definitely includes VAT and a number of other taxes (and Morusque's share, of course!), so at best my own cut on this would be half, probably less.

The last stat is the amount of wishlists, which is sitting at 936, something I'm slightly baffled by since the game is free - but maybe it counts DLC wishlists along with the main package as a single total? And maybe people are just saving the store page to keep it in mind when they have a rainy day ahead to spend masked fighting in the streets :-D

That's where we stand right now!
« Last Edit: October 03, 2016, 11:54:37 AM by Pehesse » Logged

b∀ kkusa
Global Moderator
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #297 on: October 04, 2016, 12:17:04 PM »

thanks for all the data , purchased the humble tier yesterday and will probably buy another tier to reach a total of 10$ , as if i'm not wrong, since the game is free, a total of 10$ purchase makes your account elligible to get steam cards from the game.
Pehesse
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #298 on: October 04, 2016, 12:25:54 PM »

thanks for all the data , purchased the humble tier yesterday and will probably buy another tier to reach a total of 10$ , as if i'm not wrong, since the game is free, a total of 10$ purchase makes your account elligible to get steam cards from the game.

Thanks a lot for your support, I appreciate it! :-D

As for the trading cards: I'm not sure, but I believe the purchase restriction is only applicable for "free-to-play" games, which isn't what Honey is: I tried to classify it as "Free Release" so Steam cards would drop on a timed-based ratio, not a purchase one. At least, that's what I understood and selected from my end - I didn't have a way to check if that actually work as intended! If somebody who played the game can tell us if they dropped card naturally or not, I think that'd be a great help :-D (they should drop every 45mn or so!)

Pehesse
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #299 on: October 10, 2016, 12:13:28 AM »

Now that Honey's pushed through her second week end since release, I think it's time to show some updated stats!

Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic