Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411607 Posts in 69388 Topics- by 58445 Members - Latest Member: gravitygat

May 08, 2024, 09:48:33 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsCarousel
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9
Print
Author Topic: Carousel  (Read 23780 times)
Chis
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: September 23, 2013, 07:47:12 AM »

thank you guys!! I have a bad habit of dropping projects, but I've done way too much work on this to quit now.
the spinning will actually be part of an charging attack - the longer you hold, the faster the spinning and the farther the inner circle will fly when you release. although selecting weapons is an interesting idea!

here is a weasel.

Sam English
« Reply #101 on: September 23, 2013, 09:49:45 AM »

Kiss oh yay!

(promise I'll get back to work on this very soon, Chis...)
JLJac
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: September 23, 2013, 12:37:12 PM »

I love this! Cute, and a little creepy in some way... The colors are outstanding.

If you're a project dropper you should probably provide us with your name and address so we can threaten you if you stop posting. I for one only get things done when go in my room, lock the door, destroy the key and poison myself, having a friend swear he'll only provide antidote if I cross off some amount of items on the to do-list. For some of us fearing for our lives is the only way to get going.

I'm kidding.

Great game concept though (though I feel you're limiting yourself by calling it an "earthbound-like"). And I'm really intersted in that fighting control thing, with the little circle and the big one. But... how will any enemies ever get to you with that circle around you?
Chis
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: September 24, 2013, 06:00:09 PM »

Sam - awesooome! I haven't been working too hard myself, haha Tongue

JLJac - oh, but now I am actually considering your advice  Droop
&& thanks for the kind words! I'm just calling it an Earthbound-like to make the thread title more descriptive, but that hasn't really been attracting people anyway.
good question! the swords will only activate if the player initiates an attack, and even then only the swords around the tip of the smaller circle will do any damage. I'm not explaining this very well, so here's a gif:

only the red swords will be doing the damage. additionally, after the initial window of attack, you can still manuever the circle around to defend against weak projectiles and stuff.

also, attacking gives you a slight boost in the direction you attack in. so you could do crazy stuff like this:

(but there'll be a limit on the number of aerial attacks.)

I'm not sure if this is an intuitive or playable system, so I'd love to hear any critiques you might have.

oh and hey, I also added a long jump. you can long jump if you jump just before you hit the ground.

EIDT: I just thought of a simpler alternative. I could have the swords do damage all the time, but also be vulnerable to special enemy attacks. so you have a natural barrier, but as your swords go down, you get gaps in the circle.
I might just go implement both now and compare them  Who, Me?
« Last Edit: September 24, 2013, 06:29:47 PM by Chis » Logged

Belimoth
Level 10

high-heeled cyberbully

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: September 24, 2013, 08:34:21 PM »

I liked the spinning of the old swords, would be cool if the new ones had some of that.

CryingGhost
Level 0

gomennasai

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: September 24, 2013, 08:48:19 PM »

I like your inventive approach to the combat, I've never really seen systems like this!

However I think you're going to have to implement some enemies or whatever and test the different combat types to see what works best. You definitely don't want to commit to one system then realize it sucks  Grin
mushbuh
Level 9

Epic Laughs await you, traveler *tips steampunkhat

View Profile WWW
« Reply #106 on: September 25, 2013, 07:56:50 AM »

that aerial attack thing is really cool chis, will there be any projectile weapons, or any projectiles to be reflected, could be interesting with this kind of system

Calum Bowen
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #107 on: October 19, 2013, 10:29:38 AM »

wowee, just came across this - it's so light and fluffy! Love it! can't wait to hear sam's tunes!

Ouren
Enjoyed Some Pizza!
Level 7

Poppy Works

View Profile WWW
« Reply #108 on: October 19, 2013, 10:52:14 PM »

wtb updates

Whiteclaws
Level 10

#include <funny.h>

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: October 20, 2013, 07:56:32 AM »

Wowzers , totally forgot about this one , post more ... your life depends on it
Chis
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: October 26, 2013, 05:47:40 PM »

AHA I did it again
Let's see if I can update more frequently than every two months or so ~
&& thanks for the encouragement guys!

So I finally tested the combat on a dummy. After a bunch of tweaking, here's what I got.

Basic stab attack.

Swipe attack. If each of your swords has different elements, you can layer status effects depending on how your order the swords.
The gif is terrible btw. It's supposed to shake the screen on every hit.

Yes, there will be this bow & arrow like projectile attack! You don't actually lose any swords, it's like an energy attack. But you do have to wait for recharge.

Hmm I'm not sure about projectile reflection! what I am planning to add is swords "dying" - if you take damage, one of your swords goes out of commission. So one option could be to have the ring of swords be a natural barrier that gets more gaps the more health you lose.

Also, I'm very happy to report that Calum Bowen is coming on to do sfx and music with Sam! Super psyched to have them both on the team Hand Thumbs Up Left Hand Thumbs Up Left Hand Thumbs Up Left Hand Thumbs Up Left Hand Thumbs Up Left Hand Thumbs Up Left Hand Thumbs Up Left Hand Thumbs Up Left Hand Thumbs Up Left Hand Thumbs Up Left Hand Thumbs Up Left Hand Thumbs Up Left Hand Thumbs Up Left Hand Thumbs Up Left Hand Thumbs Up Left

Sink
Level 0

Fuzzy pixels

View Profile WWW
« Reply #111 on: October 26, 2013, 06:02:34 PM »

I really enjoy the pastel color palette, it's very playful. Also that combat looks really in depth and neat! Can't wait to see where it goes.

MaximSchoemaker
Level 0

Wealth and fame, here I come!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #112 on: October 27, 2013, 02:47:19 AM »

Demo plz!

Also, I'm really curious, what is this made in? I'm guessing HTML5 Canvas something. Wizard

Working on Aril at the moment. Check it out Ya'll: http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=36818.0
mushbuh
Level 9

Epic Laughs await you, traveler *tips steampunkhat

View Profile WWW
« Reply #113 on: October 27, 2013, 07:26:09 AM »

ah man that projectile is so cool

Whiteclaws
Level 10

#include <funny.h>

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: October 27, 2013, 08:16:26 AM »

You should really not have that circle full opacity , it runs the immersion , otherwise you could only show them when the player is like in battleposition Smiley

Otherwise... CoolHand Thumbs Up Right
Chis
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #115 on: October 27, 2013, 02:59:29 PM »

Sink: thanks, I'm glad you like it!
Maxim: coming soon! hehheh
and yep! I'm using Impact.js engine which makes my life a whole lot easier.
mushroomized: inorite  Cheesy
Whiteclaws: hahah yes, I really didn't like the way it looked either.

still in the works, but this might be better. I went with an alchemy circle kinda thing. I have to make it show on light backgrounds tho. The player sprite will probably be all glowy in battle as well.

cuuuurrently making some animations. Missing my dead windows-with-photoshop-and-higher-resolution laptop sorely.

Whiteclaws
Level 10

#include <funny.h>

View Profile
« Reply #116 on: October 28, 2013, 01:40:33 PM »

You like let it like that with a bit less opacity and then when monsters approach , it would go red
Thomas Finch
Level 8

@slowcircuit

View Profile WWW
« Reply #117 on: October 28, 2013, 01:41:32 PM »

The first screenshot in the first post reminds me of the beginning of Act Raiser for SNES.

Raku
Level 10

Dream's Bell

View Profile WWW
« Reply #118 on: October 30, 2013, 12:30:33 AM »

Holy cow, why haven't I seen or commented on this thread earlier. This project looks incredibly interesting and unique!

Belimoth
Level 10

high-heeled cyberbully

View Profile
« Reply #119 on: October 30, 2013, 12:33:36 AM »

Very cool progress!

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic