Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411539 Posts in 69383 Topics- by 58439 Members - Latest Member: isabel.adojo

May 02, 2024, 04:59:56 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsThe Rabbit Hole Principle
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: The Rabbit Hole Principle  (Read 845 times)
Dorgam
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: October 16, 2015, 08:25:40 PM »

Hello Everyone,

My name is Osama. I release games under Dorgam Games: https://twitter.com/TheDorgam
I am currently working on a game called The Rabbit Hole Principle or RHP for shortcut.

RHP first started as an entry for the WAG Challenge - Write a Game Challenge. Which is a game jam about making a game focused mainly on story. Although the game didn't win any prizes, a Librarian was interested in the game and said that he will exhibit it at his library "games @ your library day"!

That got me excited, so I told him I will make a better version of it with bug fixes and maybe some additional/better content. My deadline is the first week on November. The current state of the game can be seen and played here.
http://dorgam.itch.io/rhp

The game tells the story of Dr. Sato a Japanese Psychiatrist who discovers a Psychology principle after studying fictional and non-fictional stories of humans.

He is also about to share his discovery with the world in ACP (Asian Conference on Psychology) You play as him while you meet your first subjects and you get to question them and study their stories. The gameplay is quiz questioning that test your understanding of the principle and weather if you can apply it correctly or not.

The game is developed in RPG Maker VX Ace and it is my first game with this engine. Although the style of development in this event is wired it is still a lovely and easy engine to work on.

I would be more than happy to hear your opinion about it and what you think could add or enrich this experience further.
The current gameplay time is 10 - 20 minutes, depending on your style of the play.

Current Know Tasks:
1. Every time the player makes a mistake the whole questions repeat. I should make him only repeat the questioning of the current subject or add another interpretation of making a mistake. (Currently Working on this)
2. Bug in Dream level
3. Instead of listening to the stories why not actually play them!

4. Exploring the world should be more interesting, not just random text about what you press "Enter" at.

I will be updating this everytime I do a progress.
See you all soon.
Dorgam.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2015, 05:42:51 PM by Dorgam » Logged
Dorgam
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2015, 09:24:01 AM »

Hello people!

Although I was supposed to do something else today I ended up doing another thing! I also fixed another bug I discovered along  Tongue

1. Every time the player makes a mistake the whole questions repeat. I should make him only repeat the questioning of the current subject or add another interpretation of making a mistake.

^
I was supposed to work on this. I ended up doing the following instead.

Current Know Tasks:
1. Every time the player makes a mistake the whole questions repeat. I should make him only repeat the questioning of the current subject or add another interpretation of making a mistake.
2. Bug in Dream level DONE!
4. Exploring the world should be more interesting, not just random text about what you press "Enter" at.
5. Dr. Sato doesn't appear immediately in conference level. DONE!
Dorgam
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2015, 09:57:07 AM »

Oh I just remembered a thing I wanted to fix!

6. Fix Typos and Grammar mistakes

Since English isn't my native language, I had a lot of those!  Sad

The Updated List:
2. Bug in Dream level DONE!
5. Dr. Sato doesn't appear immediately in conference level. DONE!
Dorgam
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2015, 05:42:22 PM »

Finally done this!

Testing in RPG Maker is time consuming, because to make sure all you vars are set right you have to play the game from start to end. You can say theat I spent most of the time today pressing "Enter" Hand Any Key

I think the best way to test on RPG Maker is to write the test conditions before starting the game and to make an event to overwrite them to make sure everything in it's place to test.

However solving this advanced me a lot into completing the game. Now, I need to take a break and decide a couple of game design decisions about the way the stories are told and then I will get back to programming. Coffee

Now for the updated list of tasks:
2. Bug in Dream level.
5. Dr. Sato doesn't appear immediately in conference level.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic