Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411636 Posts in 69394 Topics- by 58448 Members - Latest Member: Danque_Birbington_II

May 14, 2024, 12:24:25 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGames2 Vital Tips for Designing & Creating Video Games
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 16
Print
Author Topic: 2 Vital Tips for Designing & Creating Video Games  (Read 48187 times)
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #100 on: September 19, 2011, 07:36:19 AM »

the idea that costumes should be interchangeable makes no sense; i don't understand this part of the discussion. costumes for men and women superheroes just reflects how men and women actually dress in real life at the beach

JWK5
« Reply #101 on: September 19, 2011, 07:39:05 AM »

Which makes even less sense when you seem them in an arctic setting still dressed in lingerie or like they are going to the beach.
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: September 19, 2011, 07:45:11 AM »

You miss a post or two apparently.
post more diagrams
the more convoluted the better
Tumetsu
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #103 on: September 19, 2011, 08:09:14 AM »

the idea that costumes should be interchangeable makes no sense; i don't understand this part of the discussion. costumes for men and women superheroes just reflects how men and women actually dress in real life at the beach
This and shig's post somehow remind me of recent debate somewhere in Sweden where some feminists demanded right for women to swim topless in swimming hall because men can too. It also lead to debate whether fat men should use tops 'cause of their man-boobs :D In the end women were allowed to swim topless, but after few months no-one had used this privilege  Durr...?

Something on topic, most of my favorite vidgam women are rather well dressed, and hardly show any skin. Kate Walker from Syberia, most Fire Emblem's women designs, Xelha from BK etc. etc. All these iron bikinis and such are just silly to me Tongue

ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #104 on: September 19, 2011, 08:14:49 AM »

there's actually a day every year where women go topless on the subway system in nyc (they won the right to do that and exercise it only on that day every year)

Tumetsu
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #105 on: September 19, 2011, 08:46:42 AM »

Was it based on same argument of why men can go there topless?

Hmm, there is still rather many places where it isn't appropriate for man to go topless. Though even then it is considered "not proper" rather than scandalous like it probably would if women did that.

JWK5
« Reply #106 on: September 19, 2011, 09:12:15 AM »

Hmm, there is still rather many places where it isn't appropriate for man to go topless. Though even then it is considered "not proper" rather than scandalous like it probably would if women did that.
Until they go there with no pants on.
mankoon
Level 4

And that is how you get to Llama School.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #107 on: September 19, 2011, 09:14:23 AM »

Until they go there with no pants on.

http://www.google.com/search?gcx=w&q=no+pants+day+nyc&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=isch&source=og&sa=N&hl=en&tab=wi&biw=1122&bih=670
Also a day in ny.

JWK5
« Reply #108 on: September 19, 2011, 09:19:43 AM »

Not to be confused with NYC's "Let's Pee in Public" Day and "Wear a Trench Coat and Flash Someone" Day.
mankoon
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #109 on: September 19, 2011, 09:30:19 AM »

Unfortunately "Trench Coat Flash" day has become obsolete since the nineties but "let's pee in public" has evolved into "let's pee on you or your bike".

JWK5
« Reply #110 on: September 19, 2011, 09:33:32 AM »

Here in Tacoma we only have "Watch Me Grope Myself Here in My Car as You Walk By" Day. Sad
DavidCaruso
YEEEAAAHHHHHH
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: September 19, 2011, 09:33:46 AM »

omg how come you see shirtless men in comic books all the time, but never shirtless women???

You realize that there are some people who actually argue this unsarcastically, right. Like, I got linked to a feminist gaming blog a month or so ago which was fucking exuberant that Dark Souls character designs had "equal-opportunity nudity," lol.

Also re: whoever was complaining that men and women wore different types of clothes at the Emmys or whatever a few pages ago, that's because men look best in tuxedos and women look best in dresses, and this being the Emmys and one of the biggest moments of their careers broadcasted on national television everyone would want to look as attractive as they possibly can. If the men wore dresses or the women wore tuxedos each would look significantly less attractive.

Also just in case this came up in any point within this topic (which I haven't fully read yet from the past few pages) "social constructs" are not and do not account for literally everything.

EDIT: Y'know I have a feeling that the only reason Gilbert is posting in this topic is to look up pictures of women with big tits. Tongue
« Last Edit: September 19, 2011, 09:51:13 AM by DavidCaruso » Logged

Steel Assault devlog - NES-style 2D action platformer: successfully Kickstarted!
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #112 on: September 19, 2011, 09:36:31 AM »

i think so yes

also i didn't know about no pants day, good find

mankoon
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #113 on: September 19, 2011, 09:43:09 AM »

i think so yes

also i didn't know about no pants day, good find
oh, oh. I'm not sure if the world is ready, Paul.
Also might be interesting to know of http://www.pillowfightday.com but now I'm derailing the topic. soo...  Gentleman

JWK5
« Reply #114 on: September 19, 2011, 09:49:27 AM »

That is okay, today is "Let's Derail a Topic" Day (so is tomorrow, and every day thereafter).

Also, what if your pillow is just a stone slab?
AshfordPride
« Reply #115 on: September 19, 2011, 09:56:36 AM »

I noticed that there subject of League of Legend character design was brought up.  I have an example I would like to note, that is rather shameless.  This champion has the most prominent pair of breast of any champion.  Note how she sticks out her bustiness in an obscene manner with scant an article of clothing to make herself at all decent.  See how her breasts are the focus of this image?  Not the totality of her character or even her weapon, which is off screen.  Instead we are bombarded with the curvaceous imagery of a disgustingly large pair of breasts that adorn an otherwise uninteresting character.  Tryndamere the Barbarian Queen has a larger and more prominently displayed chest than any other female champ in the game, which reflects the sad state of the sad industry that I am sad about.

TeeGee
Level 10

Huh?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #116 on: September 19, 2011, 10:16:54 AM »

Jesus Christ! That anatomy! What's up with his left arm?  Shocked

Also: boobs in center of frame, face on pants (!) emphasizes crotch, arched spine.

Tom Grochowiak
MoaCube | Twitter | Facebook
AshfordPride
« Reply #117 on: September 19, 2011, 10:48:48 AM »

Just thought I would stir the pot with this while the subject of LoL is on the table.  It's a pretty terrible article by someone who knows nothing about what they are talking about insightful article about female LoL champs.

Oh hold the phone, looks like Gilbert actually is linking images from this blog.  In fact it seems to be the central pillar to what he is saying.  Next time just link to the blog instead of shucking every image from it in a long mess.  This blog is pretty hilarious.

What I love is that she can never think what design means beyond the visual.  All she does is yell about closing up boob holes.  Quality stuff, bro. 
« Last Edit: September 19, 2011, 10:59:04 AM by Samtagonist » Logged
DavidCaruso
YEEEAAAHHHHHH
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #118 on: September 19, 2011, 11:00:52 AM »

Quote from: gomakemeasandwich blog
The Annie on the left? Is wrong, wrong, WRONG. Don’t put boobs on little girls ever. Ever. EVAR.

Yes some girls develop early, but she’s, like, 8 or 9. That’s just gross.

Completely unrelated to this quote, did you know that Japan's rape/sexual assault rate is about 20 times lower than the US's? Too bad they'll never manage to give us an un-objectified un-culturally-insensitive videogame or television character though.

Steel Assault devlog - NES-style 2D action platformer: successfully Kickstarted!
JWK5
« Reply #119 on: September 19, 2011, 11:02:06 AM »

You can flat-out show bare chests and genitals and still not have the emphasis be primarily sex-oriented. I can even somewhat rationalize "bikini armor" (well not so much the thongs made of metal), keeping the arms and legs protected (since they protrude the most) while preserving body mobility and low armor weight total (I actually which more games would encompass that into their mechanics).

The problem for me is for when, for example, the character is supposedly a priestess of a holy order that holds things like modesty sacred yet the game's got her dressed up in battle lingerie. Or every character in the game is dressed up in lingerie and the whole world looks like a Victoria's Secret photo shoot. In the same respect I don't want every male character in the game looking like he's a J-Rock star, fashion model, professional wrestler, etc. Even if sexuality is the goal it is easier to notice a sexy-dressed woman in a crowd of modestly dressed women than a sexy-dressed woman in a crowd of sexy-dressed women.

Also, I hope that drawing Samtagonist posted is not official game art. Please tell me it's not.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 16
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic