Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411574 Posts in 69386 Topics- by 58444 Members - Latest Member: darkcitien

May 04, 2024, 05:01:23 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsJack the Reaper
Pages: 1 ... 57 58 [59] 60 61 ... 76
Print
Author Topic: Jack the Reaper  (Read 334423 times)
Raku
Level 10

Dream's Bell

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1160 on: July 10, 2015, 06:06:59 PM »

Ahh, that makes some more sense, yeah. I think I can do this pretty easily actually. What I still don't understand is how the boss comes into frame? I have an idea of what I can do here though. If I can get it working, I'll post some screenshots for sure.

Diabetes Forecast
« Reply #1161 on: July 10, 2015, 06:52:29 PM »

hmm... I assumed the boss would come in from behind (ie horizontally from right side to left side.), but that may go against what you have already. Not sure.
Raku
Level 10

Dream's Bell

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1162 on: July 11, 2015, 06:56:15 AM »

worked all thru this morning when I had the time, and did it. will probably add a bit more flashyness to the scene later, but for now I should sleep.

Diabetes Forecast
« Reply #1163 on: July 11, 2015, 09:18:06 AM »

oh man, that looks awesome! It'll be rad to see it in motion one of these days!
NinjAttack81
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1164 on: July 11, 2015, 09:45:13 AM »

AAAAHH!!!  There it is!  You're a beast!
Raku
Level 10

Dream's Bell

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1165 on: July 11, 2015, 06:08:15 PM »

Thank you! And it's thanks to your suggestion @DiabetesForecast!

here are the frames when she's moving upward into the front of the sun.
I also just added four white lines that radiate when she's in the center of the screen there.

gunswordfist
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1166 on: July 13, 2015, 10:05:20 AM »

I love watching your progress and I can't wait for the new demo's release. Coffee

Indie games I have purchased:
Spelunky
Shoot 1UP
Raku
Level 10

Dream's Bell

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1167 on: July 14, 2015, 02:53:40 AM »

psst, uploaded a new updated demo, check the first page of this thread next to the red text.
Please tell me of any bugs you might find, and feedback would be appreciated as always.

NinjAttack81
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1168 on: July 14, 2015, 07:10:30 AM »

Woohoo!  Thank you so much!  Will check it out!
gunswordfist
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1169 on: July 14, 2015, 11:04:37 AM »

I'll be sure to bug you about any bugs Tongue I'm going to spend so many hours on this having fun!  Smiley
Edit: Nevermind, the sound was a problem on my end.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2015, 12:44:17 PM by gunswordfist » Logged

Spelunky
Shoot 1UP
Diabetes Forecast
« Reply #1170 on: July 14, 2015, 12:45:29 PM »

I have music working. not sure what the issue is there. maybe there's a missing dll for the pxtone files?

I'm honestly impressed at how much more solid this version feels from the previous demo. everything feels a bit nicer, the enemies all have more of a tell for their attacks, it makes them alot easier to deal with than before. (those boomerang guys still sling off their weapon lightning fast but idk I guess that's fine.) in general I'm finding this alot easier to play. not necessarily more lenient, but more inviting, there's a better presentation in the mechanics and things you can do. (We'll see how that goes when i get to the dragon boss though.)
gunswordfist
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1171 on: July 14, 2015, 01:47:31 PM »

Ok, I'm up to Lion's Den. I forget, did the hat always give you crosses when you have it on at the end of stages? Awesome touch, either way. I don't remind that guy-in-black-bear-suit enemy, the map telling you where you are in general (beach, meadow, etc.) or the little creature that shows you how to spin dodge the cat hand in the previous build. So far so good. Smiley

Spelunky
Shoot 1UP
Taxis
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1172 on: July 14, 2015, 03:01:28 PM »

The last time I played your game was a 2012 version. I'm going to p`lay the new one tomorrow!

Thank you for your dedication to the game, it's really inspiring Smiley
Diabetes Forecast
« Reply #1173 on: July 14, 2015, 03:37:32 PM »

oh yeah, that's another thing I was super happy with: carrying the hat to the end of the stage gave you bonus crosses. after i found out I was trying super hard to keep the hat in every stage I could.
LightEnt
Level 1

Power to the action-platformer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1174 on: July 14, 2015, 05:22:15 PM »

I plan to play this tomorrow at work! It's like the tangible memories of my childhood...

~Light

Devlog| Tumblr
gunswordfist
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1175 on: July 14, 2015, 05:58:17 PM »

oh yeah, that's another thing I was super happy with: carrying the hat to the end of the stage gave you bonus crosses. after i found out I was trying super hard to keep the hat in every stage I could.
lol Me too. I only went one or 2 stages without it.

I plan to play this tomorrow at work! It's like the tangible memories of my childhood...
I know what you mean! Beer!

Spelunky
Shoot 1UP
gunswordfist
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1176 on: July 14, 2015, 11:34:17 PM »

Ok, on the level Lion's Den, I had the super speed and while I was bouncing on the webs, I got in a space in between a wooden pole and the wall (not a glitched space, just an open space in between the two) and couldn't make it out because the pole is higher than Jack can jump. A small platform would completely take away that problem, imo.

Then in Cleansing Affusion, (edit: actually the level after that.) I got knocked down by the big yellow jelly monster and fell into the pit. The angel powerup that saves you was activated but then I got a whole bunch of error messages and it wouldn't stop so I had to exit out of the game. Also in the same level, on the ground you start on there's the two round bouncing jellies. If you jump onto the platform above them and land on it when the jelly on the right is in the air, touching the platform, it'll be able to hit you. I tested it and got hit when I tried it again. I guess raising the platform a tiny bit would do the trick.

On a better note, I like that yellow jelly big enemy, even though it keeps kicking my butt. I think that's it's debut right? Also, Poi Poi's reaction to when I die on the first boss is hilarious.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2015, 11:50:37 PM by gunswordfist » Logged

Spelunky
Shoot 1UP
Raku
Level 10

Dream's Bell

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1177 on: July 15, 2015, 12:52:25 AM »

I'm honestly impressed at how much more solid this version feels from the previous demo. everything feels a bit nicer, the enemies all have more of a tell for their attacks, it makes them alot easier to deal with than before. (those boomerang guys still sling off their weapon lightning fast but idk I guess that's fine.) in general I'm finding this alot easier to play. not necessarily more lenient, but more inviting, there's a better presentation in the mechanics and things you can do. (We'll see how that goes when i get to the dragon boss though.)
Thank you! Im very glad to hear that all my work to make the game seem more inviting payed off. I should make those boomerang guys hesitate a bit more before throwing, since they are one of the first enemies you meet in the game, anyway! Good luck on the dragon boss! There are several ways to deal with him.

Ok, I'm up to Lion's Den. I forget, did the hat always give you crosses when you have it on at the end of stages? Awesome touch, either way. I don't remind that guy-in-black-bear-suit enemy, the map telling you where you are in general (beach, meadow, etc.) or the little creature that shows you how to spin dodge the cat hand in the previous build. So far so good. Smiley

Not in any previous versions of the demo, but it's been like that for a while on my end Smiley
I'm really happy that everyone's been having fun with the hat mechanic. I'll admit I spent a lot of time during testing trying to keep a hat until the stage goal, it's just fun.

The last time I played your game was a 2012 version. I'm going to p`lay the new one tomorrow!

Thank you for your dedication to the game, it's really inspiring Smiley
thank you for the support! I appreciate it!

Thank you very much!

Ok, on the level Lion's Den, I had the super speed and while I was bouncing on the webs, I got in a space in between a wooden pole and the wall (not a glitched space, just an open space in between the two) and couldn't make it out because the pole is higher than Jack can jump. A small platform would completely take away that problem, imo.

Then in Cleansing Affusion, I got knocked down by the big yellow jelly monster and fell into the pit. The angel powerup that saves you was activated but then I got a whole bunch of error messages and it wouldn't stop so I had to exit out of the game. Also in the same level, on the ground you start on there's the two round bouncing jellies. If you jump onto the platform above them and land on it when the jelly on the right is in the air, touching the platform, it'll be able to hit you. I tested it and got hit when I tried it again. I guess raising the platform a tiny bit would do the trick.

On a better note, I like that yellow jelly big enemy, even though it keeps kicking my butt. I think that's it's debut right? Also, Poi Poi's reaction to when I die on the first boss is hilarious.
Ah, sorry about those! I just fixed the hole in the Lion's Den stage (just filled the wall in so that you cant even go there, it's a small space that's unneeded anyway. For the angel powerup, do you happen to remember what the error messages said? I'll see what I can do to fix that one, but without knowing what was causing the error, I have nothing to go on currently. And the platform raising will be a simple fix, yeah.

Thank you! that yellow jelly enemy's debut is in this demo! (same goes for many other enemies and even some stages!)

Diabetes Forecast
« Reply #1178 on: July 15, 2015, 08:08:45 AM »

y'know, that actually reminds me. the pair of cute spiders in the one stage that help you along the path, I was actually sorta expecting to see them waving bye after you left that particular screen, or near the end of the stage anyway. (though maybe that's something we'd see much later in the game? mysterious!)
gunswordfist
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1179 on: July 15, 2015, 02:11:39 PM »

Ah, sorry about those! I just fixed the hole in the Lion's Den stage (just filled the wall in so that you cant even go there, it's a small space that's unneeded anyway. For the angel powerup, do you happen to remember what the error messages said? I'll see what I can do to fix that one, but without knowing what was causing the error, I have nothing to go on currently. And the platform raising will be a simple fix, yeah.

Thank you! that yellow jelly enemy's debut is in this demo! (same goes for many other enemies and even some stages!)

I can't remember what it says outside of having a red x for Abort. Shrug I'll tell you if I see it again which is likely since I ended up falling into that same space all on my own.  Cheesy Thanks for using my feedback to fix the other two issues!

Also, the dude with the black bear like body in one of the early stages is new too, right? I can't wait to see who else I bump into. Smiley

Not in any previous versions of the demo, but it's been like that for a while on my end  Smiley
I'm really happy that everyone's been having fun with the hat mechanic. I'll admit I spent a lot of time during testing trying to keep a hat until the stage goal, it's just fun.
I love wearing the knight armor with the hat.  Smiley

Spelunky
Shoot 1UP
Pages: 1 ... 57 58 [59] 60 61 ... 76
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic