Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411595 Posts in 69386 Topics- by 58444 Members - Latest Member: FightingFoxGame

May 07, 2024, 01:22:42 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesRockman 7 demake
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Rockman 7 demake  (Read 10377 times)
Paolo Victor
Level 1

This is a test.

View Profile WWW
« on: July 05, 2008, 08:01:32 PM »

As seen on indiegames.com:

http://www.indiegames.com/blog/2008/06/remake_game_pick_rockman_7fc_m.html

[Insert random nesdgasm expression here]

Some crazy japanese(?) guy made a NES-ish Rockman 7 demake. He even remixed the songs, which are available on delicious pxtone format.

Could anyone with some good japanese-fu dig some info about the creator?
DYRE
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2008, 04:48:57 AM »

That looks amazing.

Alas, I have no knowledge of Japanese, so I doubt I'd be of any help in trying to find information about this guy.
Also, Google Translate is showing me that the game's website doesn't have any information on the creator.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2008, 04:53:15 AM by DYRE » Logged
Border
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2008, 06:43:45 AM »

sweet but still i don't understand why porting a game to an older console.
Meh. maybe its just me

Available for Freelance
increpare
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2008, 06:47:55 AM »

He's not porting it, he's writing it in windows, I think, but changing the style to make it more 8-bit.  I'll certainly give it a go when it's finished.
Derek
Bastich
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2008, 01:24:41 PM »

How far along is it?
skaldicpoet9
Level 10

"The length of my life was fated long ago "

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2008, 03:43:56 PM »

How far along is it?

All of the levels are playable so I assume that it must be fairly close to completion. What's left is probably just general bug maintenance it seems to me.

Man, this game is one sweet demake though, I just love the old school NES Mega Man style. Does anyone know how to make it go full screen though?

btw Derek, someone is totally giving you a bad name in the comments section on that site:

"The game looks pretty cool. It's alot more polished and solid than what you get from Cactus. I find it weird that he gets cocksuckery and this game gets trashed. This one is ten times better than all his together."

Posted by: Derek | June 30, 2008 6:32 PM

:D

\\\\\\\"Fearlessness is better than a faint heart for any man who puts his nose out of doors. The date of my death and length of my life were fated long ago.\\\\\\\"
___
Vice President of Marketing, Romeo Pie Software
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2008, 05:30:22 PM »

How far along is it?

All of the levels are playable so I assume that it must be fairly close to completion. What's left is probably just general bug maintenance it seems to me.

Man, this game is one sweet demake though, I just love the old school NES Mega Man style. Does anyone know how to make it go full screen though?

btw Derek, someone is totally giving you a bad name in the comments section on that site:

"The game looks pretty cool. It's alot more polished and solid than what you get from Cactus. I find it weird that he gets cocksuckery and this game gets trashed. This one is ten times better than all his together."

Well, Cactus did destroy Derek's toilet.
skaldicpoet9
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2008, 06:14:59 PM »

THAT BASTARD!!!

\\\\\\\"Fearlessness is better than a faint heart for any man who puts his nose out of doors. The date of my death and length of my life were fated long ago.\\\\\\\"
Derek
Bastich
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2008, 08:58:31 PM »

How far along is it?

Hehe!

Why would you compare cactus's games to a demake of Megaman 7, though? Huh?
skaldicpoet9
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2008, 09:33:32 PM »

I thought the same thing exactly when I read that.

I think it's because he thinks "indie" is a genre rather then a designation like "commercial" is.

Kind of like those people who think "indie" music is a type of music like Rock or Rap etc...

Eclipse
Level 10

0xDEADC0DE

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2008, 12:21:25 AM »

Meh. maybe its just me

unluckly it's not a real nes game, only a demake that looks like a nes game.
Doing that on a real nes will be damn hard! maybe hacking an existing megaman game as a team of guys did for Sonic Megamix for the megadrive...

great stuff, still i don't get demakes... i mean, an original game would be better, even a megaman game with different levels, like the new Megaman 9

<Powergloved_Andy> I once fapped to Dora the Explorer
Border
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2008, 07:03:39 AM »

unlucky it's not a real nes game, only a demake that looks like a nes game.
Yeah i get that. i just don't understand why making a game to look like an older one.
like doing a Doom3 game to look like it was made for the amiga?.
still, its top notch work but not my type of game.

Available for Freelance
Synnah
Level 7

La la la la - oh, what fun!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2008, 08:31:25 AM »

I'd be inclined to say it's about working with limitations. That's something developers have to do less and less these days, so it's nice to see people challenging themselves in that way. I've always found stories of early games development, where coders struggle to optimise the game to run on the specific hardware, to be really interesting.

"What's that thing at the end of the large intestine? Because that's exactly what you've done here." - Ray Smuckles, Achewood.

My music. Will compose for free!
increpare
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2008, 08:38:23 AM »

I've always found stories of early games development, where coders struggle to optimise the game to run on the specific hardware, to be really interesting.
Which this person isn't (I think) doing.  He is doing it in the realm of graphics/sound, but in terms of coding it's probably going to be much *easier* than doing a straight remake.
Cheater‽
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2008, 08:42:38 AM »

unlucky it's not a real nes game, only a demake that looks like a nes game.
Yeah i get that. i just don't understand why making a game to look like an older one.
like doing a Doom3 game to look like it was made for the amiga?.
still, its top notch work but not my type of game.

HOW CARE AOUT THE GRAPHIC
Synnah
Level 7

La la la la - oh, what fun!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2008, 12:24:38 PM »

I've always found stories of early games development, where coders struggle to optimise the game to run on the specific hardware, to be really interesting.
Which this person isn't (I think) doing.  He is doing it in the realm of graphics/sound, but in terms of coding it's probably going to be much *easier* than doing a straight remake.
Okay, fair enough. In this case then, I guess it's more of a stylistic limitation. I kind of went off on a tagent when I was talking about coding limitations, as those probably don't apply to any modern demakes (Aside from those developed for the original hardware). I've just got idealised images in my head of coders slaving away over machine code for weeks, after reading about 3D Ant Attack and Mercenary.

Didn't someone suggest a 64K games competition recently?

"What's that thing at the end of the large intestine? Because that's exactly what you've done here." - Ray Smuckles, Achewood.

My music. Will compose for free!
Cymon
Level 9

Computer Kid

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2008, 08:39:12 AM »

Strangely enough, comparing the demake to the original side by side I can't help but be struck by how much the 8-bit version's smaller sprites leave more room for maneuvering. Fighting the bears and the boss looked cramped on the SNes version after watching the original. Could it be that the limitations actually made the game better?

Cymon's Games, free source code, tutorials, and a new game every week!
Follow me on twitter
nice_try
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2008, 09:40:33 AM »

i am absolutely awe-struck by the quality of this game.

the engine is perfect.  Megaman is Megaman frame for frame, pixel for pixel, hitbox for hitbox.  its nice to see someone go to such great, great lengths to mimic in C++ the accuracy of the original NES assembly language.

the sound and artwork are dead on.

alot of love went into this one....

this game is majjor winn

binary in my bloodstream...
Paolo Victor
Level 1

This is a test.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: July 09, 2008, 01:06:10 PM »

After some google-fu, I found some more info.

First, a page that lists the people that worked on the game:

http://translate.google.com/translate?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww12.atwiki.jp%2Frockman7%2Fpages%2F1.html&hl=en&ie=UTF8&sl=ja&tl=en (Already translated to engrish by Google)

And a map editor!

http://www7.atwiki.jp/wakuwakusuru?cmd=upload&act=open&pageid=13&file=MapDesigner4e.lzh

I toyed around with it for a while, but had no luck =( maybe you could figure it out?

[EDIT]

It seems there's a Rockman 8 demake on the works!

http://www31.atwiki.jp/rockman8/

[EDIT]

After scavenging the site for a beta (I just found a meh engine test), I found this:

http://tasvideos.org/RockmanData.html
« Last Edit: July 09, 2008, 01:41:17 PM by PaoloVictor » Logged
Cheater‽
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 09, 2008, 06:26:07 PM »

It seems there's a Rockman 8 demake on the works!

http://www31.atwiki.jp/rockman8/
I wonder how long it will take them to make a Rockman 9 de... wait.
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic