Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411588 Posts in 69386 Topics- by 58443 Members - Latest Member: Mansreign

May 06, 2024, 09:36:58 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesDwarf Fortress
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress  (Read 11061 times)
FARTRON
Level 4

the last man in space

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: July 16, 2008, 08:18:34 PM »

Is there any interest in a new succession game?

[edit] People waiting for something to convince them to get into DF should watch this video
« Last Edit: July 16, 2008, 08:28:04 PM by fartron » Logged

Everything that was once directly lived has receded into a representation. - debord
Alehkhs
TIGSource Editor
Level 0

...why not?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: July 16, 2008, 08:29:54 PM »

Yes. However, I have not played in forever, and so I have many things to get used to (diagonal movement, z-levels, just getting back into the whole game, getting used to ASCII again, etc).

So here is the real question: Though I am interested in a succession game, are you interested in being an accomplice to accidental genocide? :D
« Last Edit: July 16, 2008, 11:59:05 PM by Alehkhs » Logged
Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 16, 2008, 10:35:45 PM »

[edit] People waiting for something to convince them to get into DF should watch this video

So... beautiful...

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
Alex Vostrov
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: July 16, 2008, 10:57:34 PM »

ToadyOne always amazes me with his work.  He's one of my indie gaming heroes.

I stopped playing DF when the 3d version came out, because my computer couldn't handle the strain.  Now that I have a new machine, I think that I'll poke at it again.

Time to flood the world with lava...
FARTRON
Level 4

the last man in space

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: July 17, 2008, 07:37:07 AM »

So here is the real question: Though I am interested in a succession game, are you interested in being an accomplice to accidental genocide? :D

I wouldn't have it any other way.

Everything that was once directly lived has receded into a representation. - debord
team_q
Level 10

Divide by everything is fine and nothing is wrong.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: July 17, 2008, 08:07:00 AM »

I am always down for a succession game. I promise at least one pointless major project!

Dirty Rectangles

_PRINCE OF ARCADE_
Cymon
Level 9

Computer Kid

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: July 17, 2008, 08:09:09 AM »

Yeeeeeaaa...No. Sorry, didn't convince me to try the game. Didn't even understand what was going on. Sorry, mate, but that's for folks who are used to looking at the game.

Not saying I won't load up and play the game eventually. But that didn't convince me that I need to hurry up and clicky.

Cymon's Games, free source code, tutorials, and a new game every week!
Follow me on twitter
Synnah
Level 7

La la la la - oh, what fun!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: July 17, 2008, 08:32:06 AM »

I'm only just getting around to trying Dwarf Fortress. The sheer vastness of it makes me think it's something I could spend a huge amount of time on. I had a brief go this morning, and created a band of dwarves called 'Anus of Aces'. Already I love it.

"What's that thing at the end of the large intestine? Because that's exactly what you've done here." - Ray Smuckles, Achewood.

My music. Will compose for free!
FARTRON
Level 4

the last man in space

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: July 17, 2008, 08:40:06 AM »

Didn't even understand what was going on.

Well, he'd built a massive tower with something like a diving board on a hinge at the top, moved dozens of animals up there and had his dwarves throw a switch to remove the floor. Then he pauses it a few times to watch them pass through the z-levels on their way down before they splatter everywhere, with gore flying several stories into the air, through the fortifications and onto the dwarves watching.

Cymon
Level 9

Computer Kid

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: July 17, 2008, 12:58:32 PM »

Didn't even understand what was going on.

Well, he'd built a massive tower with something like a diving board on a hinge at the top, moved dozens of animals up there and had his dwarves throw a switch to remove the floor. Then he pauses it a few times to watch them pass through the z-levels on their way down before they splatter everywhere, with gore flying several stories into the air, through the fortifications and onto the dwarves watching.
Oh, he was going up? It looked to me like he was going down. Still a bit abstract on the whole floor falling away thing.

This game seriously needs a graphics UI.

Cymon's Games, free source code, tutorials, and a new game every week!
Follow me on twitter
Synnah
Level 7

La la la la - oh, what fun!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: July 18, 2008, 05:15:05 AM »

I am so confused. My initial seven dwarves (And three cats) spent about two weeks walking back and forth while I pressed keys and tried to figure out what I was supposed to be doing. I managed to get some of them mining, but there was only one tree in the whole area. I also spent an inordinate amount of time reading about how my dwarves need alcohol to get them through the day.

"What's that thing at the end of the large intestine? Because that's exactly what you've done here." - Ray Smuckles, Achewood.

My music. Will compose for free!
Graham Lexie
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 18, 2008, 08:35:12 AM »

I am so confused. My initial seven dwarves (And three cats) spent about two weeks walking back and forth while I pressed keys and tried to figure out what I was supposed to be doing. I managed to get some of them mining, but there was only one tree in the whole area. I also spent an inordinate amount of time reading about how my dwarves need alcohol to get them through the day.

Yeah, I tried it the other day and it took hours before I felt like I knew what was going on. Definitely a steep learning curve. Now I'm having problems with dwarves canceling all my tasks because one item is currently not available. Anybody know a way to stop this? I wish they would just move the task to the end of the queue and try again later.
FARTRON
Level 4

the last man in space

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: July 18, 2008, 09:17:37 AM »

Maybe we can start a DF learning thread. What tasks are you having trouble with specifically? Basically you need to start at the bottom and work your way up through everything. Food and booze are the important ones at first, and eventually weapons and armor and crafts to trade.

Graham Lexie
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 18, 2008, 09:43:17 AM »

I got lots of food and drink, and had no trouble making anything with wood or stone. I had problems when I started trying to make glass. If there was no sand available, the glassmaker would cancel the task, instead of going to collect sand. If I manually added a collect sand task, the dwarves would cancel the task because there were no bags available(can't put sand in a barrel or bucket?). I did have a few bags, but I think they got used for storage instead. So I set up a tanner to make leather for constructing new bags(couldn't figure out how to make bags from pig tails). The tanner kept canceling his task because there were no unrotten hides available, even though dwarves kept putting corpses in the dump. Do I need a butcher to cut up the corpse before the tanner can get the hide? I think I tried that too. In my second fortress, I had some problems with running out of coal for my multiple furnaces, and would lose a lot of tasks that way. Occasionally I had brewing tasks canceled, but usually I had an excess of barrels and that business ran smoothly.

I set tasks to "repeat" a lot, trying to get most of my economy to run on autopilot. But soon I would find that I was short on one thing, and my whole economy would shut down. That makes sense, but it doesn't make sense that I should need to reassign all the old tasks every time I am waiting on one resource. Am I not supposed to use repeat this much?
FARTRON
Level 4

the last man in space

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: July 18, 2008, 10:04:47 AM »

Well you'll want to get a manager eventually.

If you're running out of barrels, you can tell your dwarves to reserve some in the stockpiles menu. I usually keep 2 on reserve to start.

Pig tails need to be processed into thread at the farmer's workshop and then woven in a loom.

Raw hides come from butchered animals, but they rot fast so you should keep the tanner nearby.

Lignite and bituminous coal produce 2 pieces of coal instead of just the one that wood produces, so you should keep your eye out for those.

Once your fortress is big enough though, a manager really makes this all a lot easier.

Inane
TIGSource Editor
Level 10

Arsenic for the Art Forum

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: July 18, 2008, 10:56:10 AM »

A lot of things are unbutcherable. Pretty much anything mythical.

real art looks like the mona lisa or a halo poster and is about being old or having your wife die and sometimes the level goes in reverse
Graham Lexie
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 18, 2008, 11:25:23 AM »

Ah, thanks. I never got far enough to get a manager, that sounds quite useful. I'll look more closely at the stockpiles menu as well. I think I also tried to do too many things at once. I'm starting a new fortress now so I'll see if I do better.

edit: LOL I tried to make a well, and lets just say there's a perch in my fortress and no dwarves now. But I hadn't gotten that far so I moved most of the food and started digging a new fortress.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2008, 12:56:16 PM by Zer0strich » Logged
Quetz
Level 0

Eht.

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 19, 2008, 08:35:21 PM »

UGH. I hate carp! Somehow the darn things manage to lure my dwarves right into their jaws, wherein the carp rip them to shreds or they drown.  Lips Sealed!
team_q
Level 10

Divide by everything is fine and nothing is wrong.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: July 20, 2008, 05:05:32 AM »

I've been playing dwarf fortress pretty successfully for a bit now, but I've never used the stock screen, I dunno, it never seemed overly important to me.

Dirty Rectangles

_PRINCE OF ARCADE_
Movius
« Reply #39 on: July 20, 2008, 08:01:49 AM »

The stock screen is very useful. particularly for checking out what that angry fey dwarf needs that you don't have or disarming captive goblins or zooming to the corpse of that mysteriously dead dwarf.
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic