Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411592 Posts in 69386 Topics- by 58444 Members - Latest Member: FightingFoxGame

May 07, 2024, 08:15:04 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesThe Independent Gamer, Online Magazine
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: The Independent Gamer, Online Magazine  (Read 3135 times)
TheIndieGamer
Level 0

View Profile
« on: July 25, 2008, 12:13:29 PM »

Hey,
I would like to talk about a new online magazine that I am creating. It is a magazine created for indie game devs. I will have a top five every week so you can just send your game to my e-mail at [email protected]. or you can reserve yourself a spot in the mag where you can post updates about your game for that just send me an e-mail telling me about your game and some updates. sort of like an application.
Thanks

p.s. When you reserve your spot in the mag. you need to create a doc telling aobut your game and what not.
policedanceclub
Level 10

POLICEDANCECLUB

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2008, 12:20:02 PM »

Can you make your online magazine about me?

plz
fish
DOOMERANG
Level 10

cant spell selfish without fish

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2008, 12:20:14 PM »

UH OH

Bree
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2008, 12:28:25 PM »

UH OH

...Spaghettios? Why worry, Fish?
Guert
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2008, 01:03:55 PM »

TheIndieGamer, please, introduce yourself properly. Also, give us a link of the actual magazine so you can show us it's not some dream mag you are talking about. This thread is being very close to being SPAM. Well, it is spam but it might be useful spam. Let's just say that you get a second chance, don't screw it up please.

TheIndieGamer
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2008, 02:20:51 PM »

I am so sorry.  Embarrassed lol. I will introduce myself on the forums. It is not a dream mag  I have half of it finished, but I am still looking for more devs to reserve spots and tell about there games. I am supposedly having another man work with me but haven't heard from him so I hope to have the first release out at least August, but I just kind of just posted. sorry to the community and admins not trying to make your job difficult.

doing introduction now

p.s. sorry once again
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2008, 03:29:59 AM »

I think relying on others to do your work for you (by sending you games to review) is a bad approach. Be an investigative journalist! Learn from the wonderful Tim W, who travels to the most terrible places of the internet in search for great games!

OryBand
Level 0

Screamadelica.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2008, 05:25:30 AM »

Well, anyhow, having an Indie Gamer magazine is a fine idea.  Beer!

Good luck.  Smiley

btw, isn't here already one up? The indie game blog or something.

Never go to bed mad, stay up and fight. - Phyllis Diller
TheIndieGamer
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2008, 07:13:40 AM »

I have gone aroumd the net I only posted that in case someone wanted to have a space for them to post updates and things typed from phone
Eclipse
Level 10

0xDEADC0DE

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2008, 01:42:16 AM »

i want a disc-mag!
a burnable .iso with html pages and free games included and a "floppy" version with only the mag and external links for downloads.

<Powergloved_Andy> I once fapped to Dora the Explorer
TheIndieGamer
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2008, 07:27:52 AM »

sorry guys i have been gone a week nut now I'm back. It is close to release
TheIndieGamer
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2008, 02:11:56 PM »

Hey guys,
Glad the forums are back up because Wednseday I released the magazine. here is the link http://files.filefront.com/TheIndieGamer+Isuue+1pdf/;11383932;/fileinfo.html Hope you enjoy
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2008, 02:42:44 PM »

Not having your own host is not a good sign  Sad

I'll read it anyway though.

ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2008, 02:57:28 PM »

Ways to improve this:

It has irrational formatting -- some paragraphs are centered, some are left-justified, most don't have blank lines between them. I'd recommend picking some standard format.

The writing style seems like it was written by someone who isn't comfortable writing, I suggest you improve the grammar. As one random example: "It would be nice for a hint or something every once in awhile." (this could be better phrased as "It would be nice to have (or get) a hint or something," also "awhile" should be "a while.")

On the plus side, I never heard of any of the games you previewed or reviewed, so it was interesting news to me. It's really weird that you managed to review about a dozen indie games I have never heard of -- and none I have heard of -- considering that I read tigsource.com and Tim W's blog daily. So, as long as you continue reviewing games I've never heard of I'll continue to read future issues despite the formatting and writing.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2008, 04:46:30 PM by rinkuhero » Logged

c-foo peng
Level 3

game chef

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2008, 04:25:48 PM »

Writing is a difficult thing. Certainly, it gets better with practice, so I wouldn't want to discourage you from continuing in your efforts.

That being said, until one reaches a certain level of proficiency in their writing, say high school/college level, it's really quite apparent to the reader, and hard for the writer to be taken seriously. An investment of time is needed, not only to resolve issues with grammar and formatting, but to really develop one's own writing style and sense of pacing.

It's great that you're aspiring to bring something new into the community, but until that level of skill is reached, I'm afraid the magazine will have a hard time adopting a readership.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic