Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411630 Posts in 69393 Topics- by 58447 Members - Latest Member: sinsofsven

May 12, 2024, 06:32:23 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsProbability 0 (original & outdated)
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 14
Print
Author Topic: Probability 0 (original & outdated)  (Read 80626 times)
mokesmoe
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #140 on: January 18, 2010, 09:09:16 PM »

I see it happen frequently. I'd say about once per game on average.

EDIT:
You can destroy spikes with Smash 2 but not Smash 1, I think you should be able to. It would be pointless without spike armour, but still useful.

Can boss' destroy star blocks?
« Last Edit: January 18, 2010, 09:21:04 PM by mokesmoe‽ » Logged
Curseman
« Reply #141 on: January 18, 2010, 10:02:26 PM »

Epileptic

How easy was it at that point?

Pretty easy.

Vanguard, I'm very sorry that it crashed and that such things had to happen to you.

Oh, don't worry about it.  My goal in Probability 0 has always been to see how good of a character I could make rather than going for score or depth.  Besides, this way I can say that I never actually died.

Is there an error log file in the same folder? If so, mind copy+pasting to me?

I don't see one.  It'd just be in the main Probability 0 folder, right?

Gentleman ... Well done.

Thanks!  And thank you for making such a fun, replayable game.

I think the bosses were spawning in groups of 3 by the end there.  It might've been that another spawned before the first two were gone or something.  I'm not sure.

( edit :: I think, just because of you, I have to actually make a "you win" screen )

That'd be awesome!

And how much damage does it do? If it's only 2, I would suggest upping it to 3, since health is very valuable, and that way you can one hit kill any non-boss enemies.

That's a good idea.

( And yeah, how easy was it? Is it a matter of snowball effect, or just... being incredibly awesome? Was it still getting harder as you progressed? )

The snowball effect had a lot to do with it.  The enemies are just not equipped to deal with how powerful a level 10+ character is, and once you can double jump, falling damage isn't a threat anymore, so it's easy sailing.
droqen
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #142 on: January 18, 2010, 10:15:00 PM »

A feature I'd like to add would be some kind of "Intense Boss Rush Mode" where you just get relentless waves of bosses right away -- but I might never get around to it. It'd be painfully easy to implement, though, so I think it'd be a shame to exclude it.

Quote from: Vanguard
My goal in Probability 0 has always been to see how good of a character I could make rather than going for score or depth.  Besides, this way I can say that I never actually died.
I know exactly what you mean; to be honest, I only check score and depth once the game's over -- all that matters to me in-game is how many levels I go up.

mokesmoe
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #143 on: January 18, 2010, 10:26:29 PM »

I never check my scores even at the end. Boss rush would be fun, and also a good way to practice, since I rarely ever see them. (since I suck)
droqen
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #144 on: January 19, 2010, 07:47:25 AM »

If it comes down to me just not being able to add menu options... I'll make a few cheat codes that activate various modes such as intense boss rush. But what sounds reasonable to make sure it doesn't happen accidentally? I'm thinking they might all be triple-tap whatever key while in-game -- with no ability to deactivate.

R for boss rush (just boss after boss after boss, relentlessly)
H for horde (x2 regular enemies)
P for increased plant spawn rate (up to 40% the first time, then 95% the next)

They'd be really easy to just pop in there.

JMickle
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #145 on: January 19, 2010, 09:37:44 AM »

I got to admit that only two things I've enjoyed was music and credits. I wouldn't change the music, to be honest.
I also have a request: could you upload the music and post link(s) here? If you don't mind I would actually love to add it to my foobar's playlist  Gentleman
aw thanks, guy!

I would upload the music, but in the form it is currently in it wouldn't be very nice to listen to. I guess I could make an arrangement quite easily and upload that, yeah I'll do that.

BTW when it reaches version 1.00 i'll write an article about it for the front page
« Last Edit: January 19, 2010, 09:41:24 AM by JMickle » Logged

droqen
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #146 on: January 19, 2010, 11:03:52 AM »

JMickle, an arrangement would be awesome -- and so would an article o:

Version 1.00 is on its way, after I get some other things done with.

Kaworu Nagisa
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #147 on: January 20, 2010, 04:31:45 AM »

I will be checking the thread from time to time and hope to see a link some day  Gentleman

Squiggly_P
« Reply #148 on: January 20, 2010, 08:19:14 PM »

god damn I royally suck at this game.  I can't manage to live more than ten or twenty seconds no matter what.  The visuals are nice, tho.  I'll keep trying, I guess...

edit - no, i just really suck.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2010, 08:37:38 PM by Squiggly_P » Logged
droqen
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #149 on: January 21, 2010, 12:18:54 AM »

Cheesy, Squiggly -- keep at it!

Something good to keep in mind:
Always put staying alive above anything else. For now, anyway.

If there's a bubble out there and you really want it but know you can't safely get it, don't bother.

If there's an enemy that you're not sure you can kill, avoid it.

If there's a fall that you don't think you can take, or a jump that looks a bit too tough, find a new path (if at all possible).

I'm really actually not sure what people have the most trouble with so I'm just tossing all the advice I have (for short-term survival) out there Shrug

Practice will make you better, though Wink

edit :: just for fun, I went Talent and decided I wouldn't kill any enemies. unfortunately, the drill boss ruined my fun! it killed enemies, adding more to the music than just bass/siren, and then it did a bunch of damage to me ;_; I made it 0.705 km without dying.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2010, 01:08:17 AM by Droqen » Logged

poppy100
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #150 on: January 21, 2010, 09:56:15 AM »

I made an account here to tell you about some bugs I had with the game, but it seems someones already mentioned them.

I didn't read very much of the posts...

That guy who "beat" the game... I did this too. (though I have no proof) -_-;

Which brings up some other points, that text getting replaced with dots thing? It DID happen to me too when I got REALLY REALLY far (and then the game eventually crashed)

However! The dotted text thing also occured at a completely random time on an occasion before that, (on a bad run) you really need to look into this...

Also, once you're THAT powered up, you might need SOME kind of a limitation, like maybe you shouldn't be able to throw the stars quite as fast? You can just spam them for the HELL of it!

The 3 bosses attacking all at once didn't stop me, and neither will the game crashing when you get too far into the game, I'll still play it from time to time, its that addicting. (But seriously, get these things fixed ASAP anyway)

EDIT: Actually...I DON'T think I got all the powerups before the game crashed on me on that REALLY good run. (My memory has been a bit flaky these days) Maybe this is relevant?

2nd EDIT: Got the game to crash again, the text went all dotty again before it crashed, and I DEFINITELY didn't have all the power ups, the VERY moment the game crashed, I had just killed an enemy, maybe the crashing is related to your score getting too high?

« Last Edit: January 21, 2010, 02:01:18 PM by poppy100 » Logged
droqen
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #151 on: January 21, 2010, 05:19:47 PM »

oh my

Another winner? WTF
There isn't a lot I can do about the dotted-text issue as the module I'm using... takes it out of my hands. I could go with a full rewrite of the text-handling code, but I'm, ugh, not feeling up to doing something like that. I will do one small thing that may or may not help.

I'll do something to see if I can expedite the process and try to simulate another crash.

And... jeez, the way this game works is sort of ridiculous -- some people can't last more than 10 seconds, and others (a rare breed) just won't die Cheesy I'll definitely look into... uh, SOMETHING. Something secret; something safe.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2010, 05:22:51 PM by Droqen » Logged

mokesmoe
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #152 on: January 21, 2010, 06:30:09 PM »

I'll definitely look into... uh, SOMETHING. Something secret; something safe.
[sarcasm]A difficulty curve?[/sarcasm]

EDIT: We need some sarcasm emote.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2010, 02:06:32 PM by mokesmoe‽ » Logged
droqen
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #153 on: January 24, 2010, 11:20:29 AM »

I'm a bit busy with another project for a little while longer, but the final 1.00 build will definitely have the following fix:
  • Low/high FPS no longer has an effect on fundamental gameplay speed

So if you're playing on a laggy system... uh... things may seem to get a lot faster. Good luck! Gentleman

(if you're running at around 40 fps you should notice little to no difference)

edit : hahaha mokesmoe -- you could try "Roll Eyes"
... I'm seriously considering the addition of some kind of horrifying and truly final boss. Perhaps an undefeatable one?

Evil

(... haha just like this game was supposed to be, right? Tongue )

edit : noooo I killed my box.net account XD
« Last Edit: January 24, 2010, 05:21:37 PM by Droqen » Logged

Curseman
« Reply #154 on: January 24, 2010, 04:49:38 PM »

What would your goal be once you meet the undefeatable boss?  Just to last as long as you can?
droqen
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #155 on: January 24, 2010, 05:35:08 PM »

Deal as much damage to the boss as possible, maybe?

As it stands I would be introducing this final boss upon the purchase of your Xth ability. I was thinking 20th but I don't know if that's a good idea, as it means there's not much flexibility when it comes to facing it. Also, it means you can just postpone it forever.

Current thoughts:

At 2km, or upon purchase of 15th ability (whichever comes first), you summon that terrible final boss.

Once he pops up, enemy spawn rate increases -- and perhaps more mini-bosses spawn, too?

The final boss will do things to make whole areas of the screen inaccessible (like a big laser).

Goal: Survive as long as possible, 'destroy' him as many times as possible. You can deal damage to him (hopefully stars and punch will both be viable, as the former is easier but the latter should still be possible -- harder, but deals much more damage) and once you've dealt a lot, he sinks off the bottom of the screen temporarily only to return but faster. Every time you defeat him, your score MULTIPLIES by some factor (not more than double).

Those are my current thoughts on this final boss who will won't settle for just penultimate.

mokesmoe
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #156 on: January 24, 2010, 06:02:37 PM »

Final Boss: Block Machine.

It appears from the bottom of the screen. There would be a not visible (due to side view) surface on the top that the blocks and creatures come out of. Below this would be the side of the Machine featuring many weapons.

Some attacks:
Missiles: Shoots some homing missiles that would follow you until they hit a block or creature. Clever maneuvering could make the missiles hit the boss. Would fire a bunch from one spot, so the first few missiles would make a hole through the blocks for the rest.
Wall: A giant mechanical pillar comes out of the Machine and blocks off some of the screen. The arm would have smaller versions of some weapons, aut would be punchable.
Giant laser: A giant vertical laser that has a warning, but hits instantly. Would only last for an instant, would destroy all non-star blocks and damage all creatures in the laser.
Overdrive: The machinery on the side would start working faster. The screen scrolling would start to accelerate, reaching double speed before slowing down.

You could also have the same thing, but on the top of the screen, destroying blocks, although it would be hard to damage without star^. Maybe have it go off screen and appear on different sides occasionally?

Also, I find Durr...? can work for sarcasm, but in some cases (like in my last post) it might looks like your calling them stupid instead of calling your comment stupid.

Good example: This game sucks so much! It is the worst game ever! Durr...?
droqen
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #157 on: January 24, 2010, 09:14:41 PM »

Mokesmoe, that sounds pretty awesome. I like the idea of bringing out "the thing that is making this whole pit" and turning in-game facts (like dying if you fall off the top) into thematically comprehensive things (there is a HORRIBLE THING UP THERE THAT CONSUMES YOU IF YOU FAIL TO DESCEND).

---> oh, and if I remember to add them, the new version will have a couple more HUD elements (don't worry, they won't be invasive at all).
« Last Edit: January 24, 2010, 09:51:57 PM by Droqen » Logged

mokesmoe
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #158 on: January 24, 2010, 09:35:43 PM »

Also for my idea, I think it would be best to have the Machine on both the top and bottom.
Normal stars and star^ on it normally, star> and punch on anything that sticks out when it attacks.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2010, 10:14:52 PM by mokesmoe‽ » Logged
droqen
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #159 on: January 24, 2010, 09:53:03 PM »

I concur; I was thinking both top and bottom as well. And I guess if you touch it you diiie, while enemies can move in/out just as freely as ever.

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 14
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic