Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411589 Posts in 69386 Topics- by 58443 Members - Latest Member: Mansreign

May 07, 2024, 01:55:47 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperTechnical (Moderator: ThemsAllTook)Book recommendations
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Book recommendations  (Read 7381 times)
Akhel
Level 10

View Profile
« on: April 02, 2007, 02:57:47 PM »

I've been looking for books on basic C++ and general game design, but I'm not sure about which ones should I buy and which ones should I avoid. I've heard good things about C++ How to Program, but that's about it.

Could you guys give me a few recommendations, point out books on these subjects that you've read and liked (and think would be suitable for a beginner) etc.?

(Edit: I'm actually just beginning to learn C++ and programming in general; I already know the basics of programming logic (?) for having used RPG Maker for quite a long time and done all kinds of neat stuff with it, but all my actual programming knowledge goes as far as a little Visual Basic. Tongue)

Thanks.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2007, 06:25:30 AM by Akhel » Logged
Alec
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2007, 03:02:15 PM »

This isn't a physical book, but its very useful... maybe you've already found it:
C++ FAQ lite

There's also cppreference.com

AdamAtomic
*BARF*
Level 9

hostess w/ the mostest

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2007, 03:15:36 PM »

If you've never done any programming before and are jumping straight into C++ anyways (like I did in college) this is a really fantastic textbook:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/0321330234/ref=dp_olp_2/103-2283266-8603025?ie=UTF8&qid=1175553957&sr=8-3

Absolute C++ by Walter Savitch.  Lots of examples and short questions at the end of each chapter, plus it (at least used to) come with a decent version of visual studio and tons of demo code.  He uses very plain language, and introduces the relatively heavy concepts of good OO very well.  If you go through this book chapter by chapter you will be a decent C++ coder by the time you are halfway through it, and a good coder by the time you finish.

Once you have a grip on the basics C/C++, I think the internet and simple practice are your best bets for learning how it specifically applies to game design.  I started at http://nehe.gamedev.net/, he covers the basics of OpenGL (which can be very useful in 2d or 3d games) better than anyone else I think.

cup full of magic charisma
mike
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2007, 03:42:37 PM »

Are there any specifics you'd like to learn about?

It sounds like you just want to learn about programming in general...
Here's a few game programming books I've encountered and found particularly useful:
  • 3D Math Primer for Games and Graphics development
    I own 3D Math Primer and I've found it extremely useful. It covers quaternions well, which is more than can be said for most other 3D math books I've seen.
    Some of the notation was a little obscure... But it didn't take long to get past that.
    I haven't found anything on the web that has given such a clear explanation of 3D math from start to finish...
    I'd give it 4/5

• Programming Game AI by Example
    I have this book on loan. It seems pretty good, perhaps too basic for people with experience though. If you're a beginner there is no reason not to take a look at this book (unless you don't want any AI in your games).
    At this stage I'll give it a 3/5.
  • Game Programming In C++: Start To Finish
    A friend owns this book... I've skimmed over it, but I can't speak from first hand experience. However, my friend has made a couple of games since he got this book and it really seems to have helped him a lot...
    I'm not really qualified to rate this book (since I didn't actually read it) but it did help my mate a fair bit... Wink

Once you have a grip on the basics C/C++, I think the internet and simple practice are your best bets for learning how it specifically applies to game design.  I started at http://nehe.gamedev.net/, he covers the basics of OpenGL (which can be very useful in 2d or 3d games) better than anyone else I think.
I'll second that! Especially NeHe, if you want to get started in OpenGL NeHe is a really great resource... Although, I think you'll find a good OpenGL book will help you more. But none come to mind at the moment and I don't own any. Tongue

Actually I should see if I can get work to buy me one... I mean, I sit in front of my computer programming OpenGL software all day.

-Mike
« Last Edit: April 02, 2007, 03:47:12 PM by mike » Logged
ravuya
Level 7

Yip yip yip yip yip

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2007, 04:14:36 PM »

Game Coding Complete is pretty good; just ignore the specifics of DX and whatnot and work your chosen API into it.

The basic structure is still really good.

gnat
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2007, 09:55:22 PM »

.. for opengl

Be sure to check out the Blue Book (reference) and Red Book (tutorial)

As for online tutorials: Check out Fallout Software's Tutes. Nehe's tutorials are also OK but I wouldn't recommend them to a total newbie of opengl, as a lot of the underlying foundation is missed.

I would highly recommend picking up a copy of the OpenGL Super Bible. Which basically rolls all of the mentioned opengl tutorials and the redbook into one.

LAN Party List - The definitive LAN party list. Also Game Jams, etc.
GitHub
AdamAtomic
*BARF*
Level 9

hostess w/ the mostest

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2007, 09:00:29 AM »

I can second that if you have the basics, the Blue Book is absolutely, 100% indispensable!

PoV
Level 5

Click on the eye and something might happen..maybe

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2007, 05:00:46 PM »

3D Math Primer for Games and Graphics development
I own 3D Math Primer and I've found it extremely useful. It covers quaternions well, which is more than can be said for most other 3D math books I've seen.
Some of the notation was a little obscure... But it didn't take long to get past that.
I haven't found anything on the web that has given such a clear explanation of 3D math from start to finish...
I'd give it 4/5

I'll 2nd that motion.  I own just about every 3D and game math book I could get my hands on.  This one is by far the easiest to understand.  Dead sheep as a measurement?  Count me in.

Oh and it's "3D Math Primer for Graphics and Game Development", not the later.

Data Structures for Game Programmers is another really great book, something I wish I had years before.  It goes in to detail on common useful data structures like link lists, trees, graphs, and various applications including AI.

Real Time Collision Detection is the ultimate reference for that topic as well.  It's a bit pricey, and a heavy topic, but you wont find a better book on the subject.

Mike Kasprzak | Sykhronics Entertainment - Smiles (HD), PuffBOMB, towlr, Ludum Dare - Blog
Akhel
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2007, 05:36:00 PM »

Thank you all very much, I'll check these.

And hm, mike, I should have been more specific indeed. I'm actually just beginning to learn C++ and programming in general; I already know the basics of programming logic (?) for having used RPG Maker for quite a long time and done all kinds of neat stuff with it, but all my actual programming knowledge goes as far as a little Visual Basic. Tongue
guille
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2007, 10:19:03 AM »

Game Design:

I love the Chris Crawford books, he rants and brags a lot, he makes boring games (to my opinion) and you can't really agree with everything he says, but he makes you think like no one else, he's got good ideas that are woth reading. I have a lot of respect for this fellow.

So go for: The Art of Computer Game Design (free ebook) or Chris Crawford on Game Design ($$$). In that order.

I would avoid Andrew Rollings and Ernest Adams On Game Design if you have been into game development for quite some time. It's not a bad book but it's too basic, for beginners mostly, and it focuses too much into commercial games. i.e. 'to design a successful commercial game...', 'what major companies like EA do...', etc. I'm halfway reading it and I'm already bored, I've gotten so few notes out of it, it really doesn't adds too much unless you are trying to break in the commercial games industry. Go with Crawford, he's the man.

Bezzy
Level 5

Loves the Gloves

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2007, 02:16:56 PM »

Eric Zimmerman and Katie Salen's Rules of Play does proper indepth work. It's, I think, the first proper book on design. I like Chris Crawford's stuff, but occasionally he just gets board of explaining himself and expects you to take him on face value. Rules of Play is far more detailed/academic. It's not as practical-minded as other design books, but for me, that's a plus. I hate reading books by designers who act like "this is how you must make games, or I will snub you".

AdamAtomic
*BARF*
Level 9

hostess w/ the mostest

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2007, 03:11:21 PM »

i also like Rules of Play a lot - its a bad title though, it makes it sound very formal.  In fact, the book is a really relaxed, interesting bunch of essays, almost like a good textbook, but focused on what we traditionally consider to be the like fluffy, ephemeral realm of actual gameplay.  REALLY interesting stuff, just the first few chapters got my head spinning and got me thinking about games in a different way!

ravuya
Level 7

Yip yip yip yip yip

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2007, 05:58:17 PM »

Maybe I should pick up some design books -- I tend to stay away from them because I'm worried they'll be some gushing preteen-oriented book about how YOU TOO can make games from home ALL BY YOURSELF WOOOOOOOOWW.  Huh?

Akhel
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2007, 06:19:43 PM »

I'm currently reading Chris Crawford on Game Design. It's very good - my biggest complain would be that he brags way too much. Stuff like "and so I wrote this great algorithm that made my toaster flash red. It was an awesome toaster, and I had just pioneered the red toaster genre. Too bad I was so young, because if I had done it today it would be so much better." It is being a good introduction, nevertheless.

I think I'll read Rules of Play next, it seems nice. Has anyone read Game Design - Theory and Practice, by Richard Rouse III?
guille
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2007, 02:18:56 PM »

Anyone knows where to get Rules of Play in any ebook format? I found they are selling it here: http://www.ebook-mega-store.com/index.php?target=desc&ebookid=1904, but a) it's too cheap (compared to the printed version which goes for around $45) so it may be illegal (when you pay for illegal stuff you are a stupid thief, I'd rather be a smart one or no thief at all)  b) site seems fishy. Help please, I wouldn't buy a printed edition, save a tree, bro!

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic