Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411588 Posts in 69386 Topics- by 58443 Members - Latest Member: Mansreign

May 06, 2024, 07:44:27 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsRemnants of Naezith [RELEASED on STEAM]
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 17
Print
Author Topic: Remnants of Naezith [RELEASED on STEAM]  (Read 64052 times)
Xonatron
Level 4

Be yourself.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #180 on: April 03, 2016, 12:52:22 PM »

You have something here with your gameplay! Very quick and empowering! Just watched your trailer. It seems to work extremely well! I am interested in where this takes the level design. Best of luck with this project!

Matthew Doucette, Xona Games
- devlogs: xona.com/tigsource
naezith
Level 2

Remnants of Naezith

View Profile WWW
« Reply #181 on: April 03, 2016, 01:00:12 PM »

You have something here with your gameplay! Very quick and empowering! Just watched your trailer. It seems to work extremely well! I am interested in where this takes the level design. Best of luck with this project!

Cheers!

I have two incredibly talented platformer player buddies who love to design levels, so I've to say I am pretty lucky about level design topic. They are helping a lot, most of the levels are done by them, decldev and deltis!
« Last Edit: April 03, 2016, 11:25:16 PM by naezith » Logged

naezith
Level 2

Remnants of Naezith

View Profile WWW
« Reply #182 on: April 05, 2016, 11:23:32 AM »

Couple days I wrote about the water update, it was creating textures as masks and saving them. Creating the masks were taking too long and they were not dynamic so raising waters were not working.

Today "jagoly" from SFML community teached me how to use depth buffer. We managed to make it! It fixed so many issues because it's working dynamicly:

Changed water masking implementation to Depth Buffer instead of creating static sf::Textures.
Water masking now also works with raising water.
Editor: Water masking also works in editor now.
Loading time got a lot shorter because water masking does not create sf::Textures.
Water masking is now pixel perfect, not leaving any pixel transparent.
Fixed creating of sf::Textures with sf::RenderTexture::create() were causing flicker during the loading.
Fixed tiles in middle of the water were cropping the water wave in a very ugly way.

io3 creations
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #183 on: April 06, 2016, 09:30:34 AM »

Water has to be behind of the Tiles,
Tiles have to be behind of the Player,
Player has to be behind of the Water.

What about this depth approach (from front to back)?
Foreground tiles
Water
Player
Background tiles

naezith
Level 2

Remnants of Naezith

View Profile WWW
« Reply #184 on: April 06, 2016, 02:58:01 PM »

What about this depth approach (from front to back)?
Foreground tiles
Water
Player
Background tiles

I want the ugliest drawn level to look beautiful enough, so it needs minimal effort to make a cool level, it's fixed by depth buffer already.

naezith
Level 2

Remnants of Naezith

View Profile WWW
« Reply #185 on: April 11, 2016, 06:03:22 AM »

Hello everyone,

Don't worry I work on the game almost every day! A random gameplay mechanic popped in my mind so I want to share it with you, maybe we can iterate from this.

I didn't watch the Jason Statham movie Crank but I heard about it's idea. It's like his rival has injected him with a poison that will kill him if his heart rate drops. I really want this game to be played fast, so this was the idea, Kayra carries a dragon soul inside him. And he has so much energy that being slow would kill him.

Of course it is a very dangerious design because it would be so annoying if it's badly implemented, that's why I need to improve the idea so it can help to the core idea of the game which is finishing the levels as fast as possible.

It would work differently if you really want to stop and think maybe (an animation can help about this, like he is decharging it in some way). I wonder if there are games using this already.

What are your thoughts on this, I would be so happy to hear them, have a nice day!
« Last Edit: April 11, 2016, 06:08:27 AM by naezith » Logged

Cranktrain
Level 4

making gams

View Profile WWW
« Reply #186 on: April 11, 2016, 06:25:42 AM »

I'm not convinced the idea strengthens the core concept of the game. It looks fun to move fast, and to pull off complex manouvers, that's going to be the main motivation for progressing quickly. And then I imagine you have a certain kind of medal system, Gold, Silver, Bronze awarded depending on the time for completion, with which comes further motivation in moving quicker than the player did previously.

If you're fond of the idea though, prototyping it quickly might let you know whether it's annoying or fun.

Hephep
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #187 on: April 11, 2016, 10:44:27 AM »

I've got mixed feelings about this idea, I loved going very fast in super meat boy for example so this kind of feature would motivate me even more but some levels could not have been finished without the possibility of taking the time for a well executed and precise move at some point. Idk if you plan to make some very hard levels so the choice is yours :D

io3 creations
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #188 on: April 11, 2016, 10:50:48 AM »

In a way that was the same concept in Speed.  In the bus's speed drops below a certain amount the bomb explodes.  Can you imagine playing GTA like that?  Maybe in some limited scenarios or situations the dragon soul could act and you have to move fast but I don't think I would like that kind of gameplay all the time. 

naezith
Level 2

Remnants of Naezith

View Profile WWW
« Reply #189 on: April 17, 2016, 10:01:30 PM »

Hey, I can't really update you guys these days, university projects slow me down a lot but I'll work on deferred rendering when I'm back! Smiley

Here are two GIFs from around 04.08.2014 which is the first days of prototyping

GOTTA GO FAST!

Prototyping rocks and I canceled the Crank idea Coffee

neutonm
Level 0

Elusive Slacker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #190 on: April 18, 2016, 01:32:29 AM »

I must say this looks impressive, a lot of effort put here.

Water, particles and all flashing stuff... are they all shaders or some internal textural voodoo magic?

naezith
Level 2

Remnants of Naezith

View Profile WWW
« Reply #191 on: April 18, 2016, 02:03:54 AM »

I must say this looks impressive, a lot of effort put here.

Water, particles and all flashing stuff... are they all shaders or some internal textural voodoo magic?

A little bit of thisss, a little bit of that!

naezith
Level 2

Remnants of Naezith

View Profile WWW
« Reply #192 on: April 18, 2016, 05:26:33 AM »

By the way I have couple old articles hidden in my website that I wrote about how I started making this game, with feels and story  Smiley

naezith
Level 2

Remnants of Naezith

View Profile WWW
« Reply #193 on: April 18, 2016, 11:12:42 AM »

I'll finally go for the Greenlight when I make the lighting system! Keep following the Twitter to get notified ASAP!

Here is the latest OST, EDM lovers will love!

And here is a random GIF for you!

neutonm
Level 0

Elusive Slacker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #194 on: April 18, 2016, 11:56:26 AM »

By the way I have couple old articles hidden in my website that I wrote about how I started making this game, with feels and story  Smiley

Enjoyed reading it. It's always interesting how gamedevs construct their child.

If you would write more articles there it would be interesting to see a little bit of technical information/report. Details, details.

As I told in previous posts, I had a graphic artist friend who accepted to work together, I was continuously asking that friend to work a bit, at least draw some character sprites, I was working with a 32×64 rectangle which is terrible. At the end of third month, she did not even draw a line, not a single line. I was wasting my whole time searching free and decent graphics on internet

Haha, know  how it feels brah Smiley
I found the best way to actually get some help in advanced sections of development is to hire an artist for real money. Friends and acquittance may be not so enthuastic as the author himself. If they do, there's a high possibility they will burn out.

bbtombo
Level 1

lvl 2 spellcaster

View Profile
« Reply #195 on: April 21, 2016, 06:21:38 PM »

Just wanted to post here to make sure I'm following! I'm super excited for this!  Gomez

naezith
Level 2

Remnants of Naezith

View Profile WWW
« Reply #196 on: April 24, 2016, 11:59:07 PM »

Haha, know  how it feels brah Smiley
I found the best way to actually get some help in advanced sections of development is to hire an artist for real money. Friends and acquittance may be not so enthuastic as the author himself. If they do, there's a high possibility they will burn out.

Yeah, learning this kind of stuff in the hard way is the most effective at remembering them I guess.

Here is the new OST (WIP)

Tell me what you think!

io3 creations
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #197 on: April 25, 2016, 10:15:35 AM »

Tell me what you think!
I like the tune!  Smiley  For some reason, it reminds me of a somewhat middle Eastern-ish vibe.

Is it intended to be played during game?  I could imagine it as a main menu or credits page music or perhaps tutorial level.  However, since it has a slow/medium tempo as well as some of the "glitchy" parts are quite erratic, it wouldn't really fit well with the "smooth sailing" swinging movement gameplay style.

Oh, how did you make the music?  Did you use a software or synth or something else?

naezith
Level 2

Remnants of Naezith

View Profile WWW
« Reply #198 on: April 25, 2016, 01:01:19 PM »

Tell me what you think!
I like the tune!  Smiley  For some reason, it reminds me of a somewhat middle Eastern-ish vibe.

Is it intended to be played during game?  I could imagine it as a main menu or credits page music or perhaps tutorial level.  However, since it has a slow/medium tempo as well as some of the "glitchy" parts are quite erratic, it wouldn't really fit well with the "smooth sailing" swinging movement gameplay style.

Oh, how did you make the music?  Did you use a software or synth or something else?

Michael Pearson is making the OST, you better talk to him about technical stuff Smiley. Track sounded ancient egyptian to me. We aim for 10 tracks and I don't really know how am I gonna separate the songs. I just thought I could put them all as a list and play all of them to the end, shuffled or not shuffled. I could divide songs special for chapters but then it will loop 2-3 songs over and over again, that's not really cool in my opinion. Gameplay-Music match is a weird topic, I will test how it goes but I can't really do much about it.

Here is the new WIP theme, this theme actually got used in Journey, Shovel Knight as I saw but since it's pretty cool, I don't think that's a problem. I really loved the work Thomas created.

What do you think, that's very important for me!
« Last Edit: April 25, 2016, 01:06:58 PM by naezith » Logged

naezith
Level 2

Remnants of Naezith

View Profile WWW
« Reply #199 on: April 26, 2016, 08:07:13 AM »

Added the Global Rankings page, I LOVE IT!

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 17
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic