Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411630 Posts in 69393 Topics- by 58447 Members - Latest Member: sinsofsven

May 12, 2024, 04:38:18 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsPainters Guild [OUT NOW]
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 46
Print
Author Topic: Painters Guild [OUT NOW]  (Read 121064 times)
AD1337
Level 9

Lucas Molina

View Profile WWW
« Reply #100 on: November 02, 2013, 09:33:12 AM »

I've always wanted this game to be complex despite the simple visuals. I think I'm getting there.

I just hope I can keep the design elegant.

AD1337
Level 9

Lucas Molina

View Profile WWW
« Reply #101 on: November 02, 2013, 03:10:57 PM »

Mathematicians Guild:

Can you understand what's going on? Just so I know if I'm making it too complicated.

Edit: I need to get to selling paintings next. Just thought of a "ask for more" button when you try to sell it, an attempt to get more money for paintings. Each time you ask for more you decrease your chances they will pay more - and if you fail, they won't buy the painting at all (you can hang it or sell it to someone else, perhaps).
« Last Edit: November 02, 2013, 03:45:46 PM by AD1337 » Logged

migrafael
Level 3

Making games, two at a time

View Profile WWW
« Reply #102 on: November 03, 2013, 05:36:48 AM »

Love the idea! Specially since I majored in Painting (fine arts) Tongue There's not enough games with painters in them!

On STEAM ยป
AD1337
Level 9

Lucas Molina

View Profile WWW
« Reply #103 on: November 03, 2013, 01:00:59 PM »

Love the idea! Specially since I majored in Painting (fine arts) Tongue There's not enough games with painters in them!

Thanks!

Selling a painting, still working on it.

My idea was for a pop-up that gives you more detailed information on why it sold for that price and so on, but that might be intrusive and slow down the game unnecessarily.

Zagrom
Level 0

Perception is Reality.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #104 on: November 05, 2013, 08:57:51 PM »

Something I was gonna ask about this project,

Will different painters have diffrent personality's or traits making them work better or worse on particular types of art, or even making them work better or worse with other individuals? Which would I guess make them work slower or even reduce the price of the final product.

If you hadn't thought of that then theres an idea, I thought about it a few days ago.

AD1337
Level 9

Lucas Molina

View Profile WWW
« Reply #105 on: November 06, 2013, 03:06:06 AM »

Something I was gonna ask about this project,

Will different painters have diffrent personality's or traits making them work better or worse on particular types of art, or even making them work better or worse with other individuals? Which would I guess make them work slower or even reduce the price of the final product.

If you hadn't thought of that then theres an idea, I thought about it a few days ago.

Thanks! That's the idea with styles. Artists with similar styles will combo together and work well, artists with clashing styles will take longer and produce worse paintings. Traits would be awesome too  Smiley.

AD1337
Level 9

Lucas Molina

View Profile WWW
« Reply #106 on: November 06, 2013, 12:18:37 PM »

Made a WoW-like exclamation mark for clients who haven't ordered yet. Not sure if this will make it in the game.

Also made a little "?" button. My idea is that you can get more info on what are the requirements of the painting this way, though maybe this should ALWAYS show when you take an order, since it's pretty important.

I should do a little bit of UI next. This will clear up whether I need a pop-up window to show the painting requirements or not.

I also need to make the value of paintings dynamic and have clients come and go.

AD1337
Level 9

Lucas Molina

View Profile WWW
« Reply #107 on: November 06, 2013, 02:07:49 PM »

Client now walks (slides) out when you finish his painting.

Need to give him a walk animation and have other clients come in (and form a line).

AleHitti
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #108 on: November 06, 2013, 03:54:21 PM »

I first saw this game a couple of weeks ago and I loved it! I like the art style and I liked the concept of having a painter simulator. The combo system is what completely sold me on it. I love the design decision behind that feature. Great job! Can't wait to play it Smiley

AD1337
Level 9

Lucas Molina

View Profile WWW
« Reply #109 on: November 07, 2013, 01:51:16 PM »

Thanks AleHitti! This sort of comment really motivates me to keep working and finish this game  Smiley Hand Thumbs Up Right

First step towards dynamic painting values!

I still need an UI that will display how much gold you currently have.

AD1337
Level 9

Lucas Molina

View Profile WWW
« Reply #110 on: November 18, 2013, 08:38:44 AM »

Quick mockup for procedurally generated artist signatures.

My idea is just randomizing a few images and putting them together. In that image, the ending of the first is the same as the third, but they look different. Each artist will be very likely to have a unique signature with me having to make just ~20 quick sprites.

0x0961h
Level 2

Quantum Demon

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: November 18, 2013, 09:20:36 PM »

Very interesting idea to have randomized signatures. (I'm always fangirling on any PG-stuff)

In that image, the ending of the first is the same as the third, but they look different.
How about making parts of signatures narrower and with three possible (fixed in absolute position, of course) points of start and end? Like, you have a zigzag part that comes in 9 variations: starts in top point, ends in top point; starts in top point, ends in middle point; starts in top point, ends in low point, etc. You can also make some parts that can't be connected to, for example, top start point. Pick up the first part and then connect randomly picked parts to it according to the ruleset. I guess, it can lead to a more random signature without "look-alikeness". It need to be seen in action, though...

Of course, it's not a top priority thing, I'm just... you know... sayin'...

Anyway, the idea of signatures is great. Smiley

just here for the ladies
« Reply #112 on: November 21, 2013, 08:44:03 AM »

This is great! :D
AD1337
Level 9

Lucas Molina

View Profile WWW
« Reply #113 on: November 27, 2013, 09:08:33 AM »

Thanks guys.

A bit of progress. Bottom right shows your money amount and it updates when you sell a painting.

It was just a quick implementation, trying to get back to the routine. Haven't worked on this game in a while and I want to go back to making daily progress.

John McDonald
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #114 on: November 27, 2013, 11:17:11 AM »

That's a pretty neat idea. I like it.

AD1337
Level 9

Lucas Molina

View Profile WWW
« Reply #115 on: November 28, 2013, 12:19:14 PM »

Thanks!

Tiny progress - a florin coin near the number. Still trying to get back to the routine.

When I finish my GitHub Game Off entry this weekend it should get better. I actually look forward to making new clients come in, line up and request more paintings. It will feel like a game!

Edit: It could also be a pile like this:

What do you guys think?
« Last Edit: November 28, 2013, 12:28:39 PM by AD1337 » Logged

Conker534
« Reply #116 on: November 29, 2013, 02:49:29 PM »

Make the pile grow as you get more coins? :D
AD1337
Level 9

Lucas Molina

View Profile WWW
« Reply #117 on: December 04, 2013, 06:11:50 AM »

There will be a game development event in my city next year (SBGames). I would like to have this game finished by then to show it there, so I've made this Development Schedule to help me get it done in time.

I think it should be doable. The list of features isn't complete (just an overview), I'll add more as I finish the current ones and turn the red into green.

I've also updated the milestones in the OP to reflect these schedule changes.

Actual progress later today!

AD1337
Level 9

Lucas Molina

View Profile WWW
« Reply #118 on: December 04, 2013, 06:47:19 AM »

New client comes in after you're done with one.

It actually won't be like this, they'll come in based on other factors (Guild reputation, randomness, time).

Excy
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #119 on: December 04, 2013, 06:50:48 AM »

This game looks amazing, the more I read up on it and the more you develop, the more I want to play.

There's two small problems I have which I'm guessing you've already got sorted in that amazing head of yours.

1 - The entire top half of the game is just blue sky. My guess was that you're going to shove the UI up there but just wanted to point out because I don't think you'd said yet. May be wrong.

2 - I made a game near the start of this year. It isn't anywhere near as good as what this looks like but it had the same gameplay mechanic. Mine was basically "Feed monkey, monkey poops, clean/farm poop for money, buy food and other stuff with money, repeat". After making the game, it's not really one I like. The whole "Make and sell stuff to buy more stuff to make and sell stuff with" gets a little tiresome and I feel it needs some twist or new direction. A game that does this well is Roller Coaster Tycoon (or all tycoon games for that matter) but I remember reading in one of the posts that you wanted to stay away from that type of game.

Maybe that's the direction you're looking to go and it's your game, I'm sure it'd turn out just as playable Smiley Just giving feedback anyway, game looks absolutely great and if there's a playable build out soon, I'll be sure to check it out!

Keep up the awesome work, man. I'm following. Gomez

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 46
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic