Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411595 Posts in 69386 Topics- by 58445 Members - Latest Member: YomiKu_0

May 07, 2024, 08:14:36 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsProject Rain World
Pages: 1 ... 338 339 [340] 341 342 ... 367
Print
Author Topic: Project Rain World  (Read 1450488 times)
JRG91
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #6780 on: April 08, 2017, 12:43:55 AM »

So today I tried to pick the game up again, because I keep thinking about it.  It was going pretty well, I was seeing some really cool stuff like my first vulture.  I figured out how to knock of his mask and started wearing it, which is very nice.

After that, I was farming food and running from a blue lizard to get back into the hibernation tank, and he followed me.  The tank shut before he got in, and I was relieved.  But when I woke up, he was in the tank.  With me.  He ate me.  And then I woke up again, and he was still there.  I ran away, and he ate me.  I woke up again, he was there.  I lured him out to a vulture, it killed him, and I thought I was safe.  I ate some food and hibernated.  I woke up, and he was there.  He ate me.  He is still there right now - this time he just stayed asleep.

I'm hoping this is a bug.  The area is the Industrial Complex.  Nowhere is safe for my slugcat.   Shrug  If footage would help, I did record some.

Update: I died three mores times.  He returned each time.  I decided to try just go to a different hibernation chamber, and when I attempted to pass through the karma gate in the room next door, the game crashed.  I restart the game, and my roommate is still there.  Eventually I got away to a different chamber, and now will work my way back, I guess.  I hope he has moved on lol.

Also is there a timeline on the PS4 patch?  I like this game a lot already, but those improvements would make it so much better.  
« Last Edit: April 08, 2017, 01:00:28 AM by JRG91 » Logged
ANtY
Level 10

i accidentally did that on purpose

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6781 on: April 08, 2017, 01:48:16 AM »

So today I tried to pick the game up again, because I keep thinking about it.  It was going pretty well, I was seeing some really cool stuff like my first vulture.  I figured out how to knock of his mask and started wearing it, which is very nice.

After that, I was farming food and running from a blue lizard to get back into the hibernation tank, and he followed me.  The tank shut before he got in, and I was relieved.  But when I woke up, he was in the tank.  With me.  He ate me.  And then I woke up again, and he was still there.  I ran away, and he ate me.  I woke up again, he was there.  I lured him out to a vulture, it killed him, and I thought I was safe.  I ate some food and hibernated.  I woke up, and he was there.  He ate me.  He is still there right now - this time he just stayed asleep.

I'm hoping this is a bug.  The area is the Industrial Complex.  Nowhere is safe for my slugcat.   Shrug  If footage would help, I did record some.

Update: I died three mores times.  He returned each time.  I decided to try just go to a different hibernation chamber, and when I attempted to pass through the karma gate in the room next door, the game crashed.  I restart the game, and my roommate is still there.  Eventually I got away to a different chamber, and now will work my way back, I guess.  I hope he has moved on lol.

Also is there a timeline on the PS4 patch?  I like this game a lot already, but those improvements would make it so much better.  

what a dedication

kizmarh
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #6782 on: April 08, 2017, 05:28:29 AM »

It would be fun if the bug would be fixed in a way that if such lizard is for some reason made it to hibernate with you, you would become friends. Kinda a shortcut to the usual lizard befriending Smiley
Piranha
Level 1

capital z

View Profile
« Reply #6783 on: April 08, 2017, 07:09:35 AM »

I made a lizard bed-friend too, in Shoreline. Luckily, more often than not I was able to escape his friendship until I managed to hibernate elsewhere.

The changes have all been good in my opinion, I had stopped playing for a day or two after repeated drownings (mostly caused by blindness/waterfalls) but I've made some progress since.
Christian
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6784 on: April 08, 2017, 08:41:07 AM »

karma depletion on game exit removed if done within 30 seconds of sleep cycle
I just don't get this

What is the fear and worry with just letting players quit whenever without penalty?

Visit Indie Game Enthusiast or follow me @IG_Enthusiast to learn about the best new and upcoming indie games!
Zorg
Level 9

View Profile
« Reply #6785 on: April 08, 2017, 09:08:20 AM »

It's just 30 seconds, to prevent player punishment for accidentally clicking continue.

Edit: Sorry, i got your question wrong. The 'fear and worry' is players quitting to main menu when they are about to die.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2017, 09:16:53 AM by Zorg » Logged
Christian
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6786 on: April 08, 2017, 09:21:33 AM »

It's just 30 seconds, to prevent player punishment for accidentally clicking continue.

Edit: Sorry, i got your question wrong. The 'fear and worry' is players quitting to main menu when they are about to die.
Why is that a problem? Why shouldn't players be able to quit whenever they want? Countless brutally hard roguelikes and Soulslikes lets you quit whenever. Rain World not letting you makes no sense

Visit Indie Game Enthusiast or follow me @IG_Enthusiast to learn about the best new and upcoming indie games!
surt
Level 7

Meat by-product.

View Profile
« Reply #6787 on: April 08, 2017, 09:47:36 AM »

Obviously because letting the player play the game how they want to play it is harmful to the developer's artistic vision.

Real life would be so much better with permadeath.
PJ Gallery - OGA Gallery - CC0 Scraps
Pineapple
Level 10

~♪

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6788 on: April 08, 2017, 10:13:59 AM »

Obviously because letting the player play the game how they want to play it is harmful to the developer's artistic vision.

ah yes, artistic vision, that thing that can lead to beautiful things when tempered by acknowledgement that not everyone cares to experience your art exactly the way you think they should
Wolvered
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #6789 on: April 08, 2017, 10:38:25 AM »

Why is that a problem? Why shouldn't players be able to quit whenever they want? Countless brutally hard roguelikes and Soulslikes lets you quit whenever. Rain World not letting you makes no sense

Because that would kill all the purpose of the karma system. About to die? Just quit and restart with the exact same karma level. It would be too easy, and you could only get karma, not loose it.

Another way of doing it would be: if the player is about to drown, less than 1 minute before the rain or the threat music is playing, he is punished for leaving, otherwise he doesn't loose karma but that may be a little too complicated to do, and it wouldn't prevent punishing death from falling.
Pineapple
Level 10

~♪

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6790 on: April 08, 2017, 10:59:24 AM »

I too make games for the sole purpose of punishing players for their failures, where them having any way out of that intended punishment, no matter how inconvenient it is for them to do it, is worth making the experience worse for everybody.

you could also just do the normal thing and like, make it so the game picks up where it left off if you exit and start again later
kodle
Level 0

Game dev

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6791 on: April 08, 2017, 11:14:17 AM »

Nice  Kiss
crankykong
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #6792 on: April 08, 2017, 11:25:55 AM »

ah yes, artistic vision, that thing that can lead to beautiful things when tempered by acknowledgement that not everyone cares to experience your art exactly the way you think they should

Yes agreed.
Game is cool and all, but the "helicopter parenting" via certain gameplaymechanics has to stop orelse they will very quickly lose more then half of their playerbase.And im not even exaggerating here.

That beeing said , what i really wonder is why there are not more games which play in a abandoned, but still working, megastructure with a build in exotic/unknown ecosystem. That seems such a great Formular for any actionadventure/RPG , that i really wonder why there has been build  no thirdperson action adventure or first person shooter with this kind of lore, in the last 10-20 years. Thats a real market niche.

I had so much more fun exploring this setting, wandering around in this giant "postapocalyptic" megastructure than i had in all mass effect games together!

The only game which comes close , atmospherewise seems to be scorn:

« Last Edit: April 11, 2017, 06:45:24 AM by crankykong » Logged
Christian
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6793 on: April 08, 2017, 12:28:59 PM »

Because that would kill all the purpose of the karma system. About to die? Just quit and restart with the exact same karma level. It would be too easy, and you could only get karma, not loose it.
I'm talking about save and quit. Saving the game right where you and starting back at that same point. Not restarting the entire cycle

Wolvered
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #6794 on: April 08, 2017, 01:35:27 PM »

Snip

Oh sorry I didn't get what you meant!

Well it would allow players to save before hard parts after having done the food collecting and travelling so actually, it might be interesting to do? I don't really know, I guess it depends on the player
Crispy75
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #6795 on: April 08, 2017, 01:38:30 PM »

I'm talking about save and quit. Saving the game right where you and starting back at that same point. Not restarting the entire cycle

I'm guessing that saving the state of all the complex simulations might make that tricky.
kennoley
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #6796 on: April 08, 2017, 02:00:51 PM »

ENDING BUG [SPOILERS!]

So for the ending, im guessing the pictures were bugged for me...
But all I got were some black screens and a weird picture at the end

Some say that there were actually two endings, but I feel like that was just a bug

Can someone confirm whether or not this is a bug or a different ending?
Link to Topic with pictures: http://steamcommunity.com/app/312520/discussions/1/135512931361074950/
Pineapple
Level 10

~♪

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6797 on: April 08, 2017, 03:58:23 PM »

I'm guessing that saving the state of all the complex simulations might make that tricky.

not really
Deity Link
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #6798 on: April 08, 2017, 05:10:44 PM »

So devs, how many neurons does Moon need to fully remember herself? I've brought her 5 already and she thanks me every time, but the yellow watcher is still guiding me toward Five Pebbles.

Also is it true that if you met Five Pebbles before any echoes then you can't get the Pilgrimage achievement? That sucks, and doesn't really make sense to me.
tortoiseandcrow
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #6799 on: April 08, 2017, 06:59:56 PM »

So, I was playing the game today. I had the karma flower, and I died. I looked where it was on the map, carefully recovered it, gathered more food, and made it a little bit further. This happened a couple of times, and it was tense and frightening the entire time. And then something remarkable happened. I exclaimed to my partner out loud, without really thinking or realizing what I was saying: "I fucking love this game."

This was the first time I had played Rain World and genuinely enjoyed every aspect of it. The combination of having the karma flower, knowing where to find it, and having preserved my map progress so I could find it, converted what previously was maddening into something absolutely thrilling.

Rain World is awesome when you have the karma flower. The patches have made a big difference in that regard.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2017, 07:06:13 PM by tortoiseandcrow » Logged
Pages: 1 ... 338 339 [340] 341 342 ... 367
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic