Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411589 Posts in 69386 Topics- by 58443 Members - Latest Member: Mansreign

May 07, 2024, 12:52:40 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsElysis (Topdown Action Adventure)
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 32
Print
Author Topic: Elysis (Topdown Action Adventure)  (Read 95262 times)
Fervir
Level 4

JustLikeMakeGame

View Profile WWW
« Reply #100 on: October 07, 2013, 10:11:25 AM »

I pretty much just didn't notice it that much and have been working on other things.

The skeletons have it because all the skeletons are part of the modular behavior thing that I was working on.
The shadow is the thing that has the hitbox connected to it.
The monster sprites just follow the shadows and change position and animation depnding on the monster's actions.

Before, I had it so that shadows were an entirely different thing and felt pretty useless.
So I scrapped shadows.

I've been thinking of applying the same kind of shadow/animaiton relationship to the player that you control.
What this would do is make it so that the game could have some co-op gaming going on or at the very least, other characters to play as.

Konidias
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #101 on: October 07, 2013, 10:30:49 AM »

I feel like the floor tiles are a bit too busy. Like I'm getting lost looking at the above animation. Especially when you have so much going on with projectiles flying everywhere, fast rolling movement, etc..

I'm also foreseeing a problem with the amount of screen real estate in comparison to how fast a projectile can come at you from off screen. The boomerang thing looks extremely frustrating as it just appears in the blink of an eye from off screen with little time to react to it.

The smoke trailing from the player may be a bit much as well. Looks like you're running around with an exhaust pipe coming out of your rear. :p

Fervir
Level 4

JustLikeMakeGame

View Profile WWW
« Reply #102 on: October 07, 2013, 03:23:12 PM »

Ok, I'll have to come back and do some more work with the tiles.

The thing with the real estate available is, when I'm recording the gifs I have to record smaller spaces than what the game is really like.
I try to get a good amount of action going on while trying to stay beneath 3MB.
The game has a much larger resolution than what's shown in the gif, so it'll be enough.

As for the smoke stuff, I'm trying to make it look like dust for when you're sprinting, but I guess I need a little help with that. I just thought that putting clouds behind you would look good enough, but I've been getting a lot of attention towards it. One person said that they looked like lopsided donuts before I edited them, and another person said that it looked like little turds

Konidias
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #103 on: October 07, 2013, 07:11:01 PM »

I would say just make the dust more subtle... either by dropping the opacity on it a lot or changing the color to better match the ground that the dust is being kicked up from. (in this case, brown)

It's just really out of place to have solid white chunks of smoke constantly streaming from your feet. I know it's supposed to be semi-cartoon styled but even cartoons only use it some of the time. I don't think I've seen a cartoon where there is always smoke clouds firing away from the character's feet. :p

I hope you don't take my critique the wrong way though, I wouldn't be pointing this stuff out if I wasn't interested in the game. Smiley

Fervir
Level 4

JustLikeMakeGame

View Profile WWW
« Reply #104 on: October 08, 2013, 06:40:13 AM »

Yeah, I see what you're saying now.
I was thinking of kicking up dust clouds, but I guess I made the dust clouds too cloudlike and it ended up looking weird.

I don't mind the critique at all, it's the reason I'm on these forums, so that I can get other perspectives working together to help make the game better.

Critique, good or bad, is always welcome.

RedPandaWasTaken
Level 0

oh, honey

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: October 08, 2013, 06:53:03 AM »

So, when do you plan on adding online invasions, stamina and changing its name to "Spooky Souls"?

srs talk: I agree with the guy that said that thing about that sprinting thing, might wanna leave it always on. Also, if you really want some sort of sprinting you might wanna try something like that dash in A Link to the Past or Minish Cap.

hugskisses bye ;****
08--n7.r6-79.84
Level 8

You can call me 08.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #106 on: October 08, 2013, 08:58:18 AM »

Woah, new sprites.

Also, I got the procedurally generated dungeons in game.
I've been running around bashing some skeletons.

Neat and sweet, love this!  ^__^

Fervir
Level 4

JustLikeMakeGame

View Profile WWW
« Reply #107 on: October 08, 2013, 11:20:28 AM »

Hah, there's already stamina included in the game.
It was one of the first things that I put in, and that's why there was a sprint button, cause you needed to manage your stamina.

I wish I could mess around with online play, but I have no idea where to start in Construct Classic.
I think it's been done before, but maybe it wasn't the best, and plugin was maybe really buggy?
My next best option would be to try to learn how python works, cause you can do some scripting in CC.
Honestly i dunno, I'm not a programmer, but I would be willing to learn and I'm sure I'd pick it up really quickly.
Any leads with online play is HUGELY appreciated, I'll try looking into the plugin sometime.

I think adding a pegasus boots like item seems like a  good idea, and since I've added the roll it kind of makes the sprinting a little less relevant. I kind of want to mess around with a charged weapons mechanic as well, so the boots would be a good starting point.
So maybe take sprinting out altogether and just replace it with a roll, that might make you faster?
But who in their right mind wants to mash a roll button to go a little faster?

RedPandaWasTaken
Level 0

oh, honey

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: October 08, 2013, 12:47:08 PM »

I don't think you should remove sprint, I guess you should just increase walking and sprinting speed a bit, I mean, it's been a while since I played the demo but I remember it being pretty slooow, but then again the addition of rolling may have changed combat pacing completely and here I am talking crap. I guess tying and testing is the only solution :V

I haven't done anything in CC so I have no idea about the online thing. It was mainly a joke but I do think some neat online stuff would fit nicely into your game, if I stumble into some interesting CC-online-related stuff I'll send it your way.
Fervir
Level 4

JustLikeMakeGame

View Profile WWW
« Reply #109 on: October 08, 2013, 02:20:09 PM »

Oh, my bad the online CC thing was directed towards anyone that would be able to help out.
I didn't mean to make it seem like you were tasked with finding out how to get online stuff to SQ.
But anyways, I guess the next thing for me to do is to start putting together a demo of all the stuff I've been putting in since the last demo (August 4th) two months ago. I hope to get a good chunk of that demo done when this weekend rolls around.

RedPandaWasTaken
Level 0

oh, honey

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: October 08, 2013, 04:54:27 PM »

chillax man it's cool

demo is cool but don't push yourself

xoxo
Greg Game Man
Level 5

i have to return some videotapes

View Profile WWW
« Reply #111 on: October 08, 2013, 05:02:11 PM »

love your stuff dude, been following on agdg, great color palette and combat!

Fervir
Level 4

JustLikeMakeGame

View Profile WWW
« Reply #112 on: October 09, 2013, 07:50:23 AM »

Needs some work, but this should fix that blurry text bug that's been bugging me.
Instead of using CC's text object, I'm just using sprite objects mixed and hash tables to make my own sprite fonts without the need of extra plugins.

That ball thing is another weapon that I've had for a while, but it's just always there in my test map, so it gets to tag along.

mushbuh
Level 9

Epic Laughs await you, traveler *tips steampunkhat

View Profile WWW
« Reply #113 on: October 10, 2013, 01:34:20 PM »

happy birthday

Fervir
Level 4

JustLikeMakeGame

View Profile WWW
« Reply #114 on: October 10, 2013, 06:12:55 PM »

Woo! Let's celebrate that the project is still alive

https://soundcloud.com/iyashikei/home-birthday-mix

Fervir
Level 4

JustLikeMakeGame

View Profile WWW
« Reply #115 on: October 15, 2013, 07:17:46 AM »

I've been doing some drawing and working on the story for the game.
This kind of ties in with the dialogue stuff that I've been working on.

I'm trying to put together a demo so that I can submit it to the IGF, cause why not?
There's a long todo list and I have limited time to work on the game.
Just gotta make game

Fervir
Level 4

JustLikeMakeGame

View Profile WWW
« Reply #116 on: October 16, 2013, 06:14:35 AM »

Worked on converting the old dungeon maps to the new tilesets. It looks so much more alive now that it has some objects in it instead of lame same tiles everywhere.
Getting myself hyped for the demo

Little Nando
Level 1

Working on Tough Coded Project

View Profile WWW
« Reply #117 on: October 16, 2013, 12:14:37 PM »

I love the palette in this game. Lots of luck in IGF !!! Waaagh!

Little Nando / Twitter / Blog
Fervir
Level 4

JustLikeMakeGame

View Profile WWW
« Reply #118 on: October 16, 2013, 02:55:58 PM »

I think I legit found a way for there to be user created dungeons.
This could be awesome if I somehow make this work.

Also, local co-op?
Local co-op seems like it would work with some tweaking of stuff.

Fervir
Level 4

JustLikeMakeGame

View Profile WWW
« Reply #119 on: October 23, 2013, 11:14:13 AM »

Oh wow, a whole week without posting?!
A lot of what I've been doing was designing the whole user dungeon creating thing.
It's pretty much a big mess and you need a lot of instructions to even make some rooms.
But at least you can design a few simple puzzles with it.
So far, there's hit-able switches, switches you can step on, moving switches, lanterns that light up and entrances that can be activated by the switches.
Next are enemies whose defeats will trigger events, statues, treasures and maybe sokoban. (I've been playing a lot of puzzlescript games.)

Other than that, I've been trying to draw up some new tiles for the town and it's pretty lacking and incoherent right now.

I tried messing around with making a trailer for the game and it was pretty awkward.
I think it's good to share, so you can check out some new combat stuff in this mini, not-serious trailer.

I said I was going to enter the IGF and work hard to assemble a demo for it.
That pretty much blew up and is dead now.
Oh well, I'll keep working on the demo and update my submission as time goes on.
Good thing is, I made a ton of progress over that weekend.
My project is getting closer and closer to the point where I can just make levels and stuff.
It still has a long way to go though.
Still excited to be working on the game though, so I don't expect it to die anytime soon at all.

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 32
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic