Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411576 Posts in 69386 Topics- by 58445 Members - Latest Member: Mansreign

May 05, 2024, 09:12:11 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallLegend of JOHNNY is out.
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Legend of JOHNNY is out.  (Read 4635 times)
I_smell
Level 5

View Profile
« on: October 02, 2010, 04:34:38 PM »

http://www.maxgames.com/play/legend-of-johnny.html

This is a game I started makin in September 2008. It didn't take all that time to make, it's actually bin finished on my hard drive for months, but it was an absolute BASTARD to get out.

I was aiming for somethin between Devil May Cry and Bionic Commando ReArmed. I wanted to make a game that people would see as a "game" and not a "flash game" or "web game". Also I wanted to put all the people making tower defenses, catapult clones n top-down shooters to shame, and show everyone that it's 2010 and we don't have to make over-pixelated chiptune games any more with crappy rotating limbs n slideshow cutscenes.

But I don't wanna sound like a jerk, I just wanted to make the best thing I possibly could.

Maybe this is worth a news post, maybe it isn't, I dunno!
MacDiver
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2010, 07:45:23 PM »

It has some great points to it, but the game needs a boat load of polish.  Stage 3 had some glitchy jump parts, plus the hanging part of the boss failed to work 90% of the time.  The life bar on the stage 4 boss did not seem to work.  And stage 5 was full of so much lag that it made the game unplayable.  It also did not help that the player was nearly impossible to see on the screen during the boss fight in stage 5.

Otherwise, the concept and humor seemed pretty good.
___
Vice President of Marketing, Romeo Pie Software
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2010, 11:04:01 PM »

I kept falling down pits that I didn't think were pits based on the art.  Other than that I thought it was pretty rad.
Rumrusher
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2010, 12:34:54 AM »

It has some great points to it, but the game needs a boat load of polish.  Stage 3 had some glitchy jump parts, plus the hanging part of the boss failed to work 90% of the time.  The life bar on the stage 4 boss did not seem to work.  And stage 5 was full of so much lag that it made the game unplayable.  It also did not help that the player was nearly impossible to see on the screen during the boss fight in stage 5.

Otherwise, the concept and humor seemed pretty good.
Oh my the delay of actions makes attacking a pain. It like the game records every command pressed and play it out even when I stop pressing buttons which sucks when the enemy moves out of the way and "joyfully" watches johnny frail around like he having a stroke. The only way to counter this is by firing only 1 shot every time which seems to add only make the game fake hard. So is there a way to play this with out use of the mouse?  edit: the game was on low quality and the animation was not lagging at all
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2010, 06:27:00 AM »

i think that's just the typical input lag all flash games have, probably no way around that

game looks cool though but yeah would probably have worked better if it wasn't made in flash

I_smell
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2010, 07:13:05 AM »

I opened it this morning to tweek some stuff and instantly lost the will to live. I just remembered how much I hate working on this game, I'm not even gonna bother explaining.

I just played through the whole thing n had no problems- I never do, but it seems to allways break for everyone else. I'd try n fix it, but I can barely open the file, can't import anything at this point, can't really do much good.

Damn I forgot about all that. Oh well!
Rumrusher
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2010, 10:13:53 AM »

dang I just read you dev log(good 200 euros spent) and found out you used Madness interactive style of shooting...
I remember that old game engine was buggy in the control commands and had a nack to perform every single Key press you do if the enemies or screen over slow down the animation by a spec. What type of Pc your running. If it's those high-middle end ones then it makes sense. then I'll have to settle with watching someone play though the whole thing on youtube.

With the whole Tim+Dante character development I thought once you beat lust(or any boss) you get a part of their power like a Lady'nade attack that johnny can chuck succubi that will latch on to his foes and drain them of their health for johnny (and run back to him after they are done). the draining kills the foe in a explosion ala true ending of braid fashion.
braid: devil may cry edition would be a sweet spoof.
Running though shooting stuff using time powers (and unlockable powers that spoofs the game) to chain sweet combos and solve puzzles. oh well Maybe legend of johnny 2: the Tie of time sequel would work.
The Monster King
Level 10

FRKUC im ALWAYS ANGRY AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAnerd

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2010, 10:52:17 AM »

some of your special moves dont work

the 4 hit combo i didnt see and the charge attack i can only do after the dashing attack
Rumrusher
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2010, 11:28:28 AM »

some of your special moves dont work

the 4 hit combo i didnt see and the charge attack i can only do after the dashing attack
Is this before or after you drag the name to the sheet of paper on the table.
yeah this got me some amount of time before I found out that. I just saw a newgrounds review and brought up a good point Laptop owners can't play this game due to the Pro mouse controls.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2010, 12:18:28 PM by Rumrusher » Logged
The Monster King
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2010, 11:52:59 AM »

i dont know what youre talking about
i paid for them and they didnt work/only work weirdly
Rumrusher
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2010, 11:57:56 AM »

i dont know what youre talking about
i paid for them and they didnt work/only work weirdly
you have to drag the yellow name(the one you bought) to the table to activate it.
click and drag them sadly the game briefly explains this the first time you get there.
The Monster King
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2010, 12:09:35 PM »

well then the charge attack is bugged and you can use it by dashing hhheh
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2010, 12:12:38 PM »

laptop users can still attach mice to their laptops (for like 15$ extra) i guess

The Monster King
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2010, 12:13:49 PM »

if/when i'll have a laptop i will always bring a mouse with me
Rumrusher
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2010, 12:56:05 PM »

laptop users can still attach mice to their laptops (for like 15$ extra) i guess
true that may be and from the looks of the response there going to be no alt play.
For it will remove the need of pulling off "Combos" oh well I kinda wish for a Autosword so I won't have to dread slowing down my "Combos" and the chance that I want to decide to not rush forward into a enemy attack I didn't see 2 minutes ago. Also where the DmC combo meter that ranks up every time for every hit.
So far my feelings on this is "dad's game level of awesome only remove the button mash frenzy(and combo meter) add a rapid click control." It's should be a fun game but it's only fun to the unknown percent that has I-smell type of computer and a mouse where the delay of action does no add up the commands when you over click locking up your character. Oh well at least the game out of I-smell life so he can continue on.
I_smell
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2010, 01:00:20 PM »

To do the charge attack, hold the mouse down and let go when the sword flashes.
Like you might've thought that you can hold it down fr as long as you want, but you actually have to release it on the flash.

It's actually a great idea but I'm gonna sound stupid if I explain why.
The Monster King
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2010, 02:07:45 PM »

i know how to use it now
im just saying if you buy it even if you dont equip it you can use it after a dash attack
r.kachowski
Level 5

and certainly no love below

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: October 04, 2010, 05:23:06 AM »

the intro is brilliant  Grin

it wasnt really clear about how to trigger sword attacks until the second time i played through. also the shop help text seems to change font if i click it to skip
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic