Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411576 Posts in 69386 Topics- by 58444 Members - Latest Member: darkcitien

May 05, 2024, 07:19:47 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallFor The Twin
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: For The Twin  (Read 1669 times)
HybridMind
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« on: October 08, 2010, 10:59:52 AM »

My flash game For The Twin which I made for the recent AGBIC competition has finally been released!

It features seven original chiptunes I composed for the game and countless animating backgrounds and alien creatures.

The basic gameplay is one of finding the identical twin to match the goal but it isn't as easy as it sounds.

Their are six different challenges with highscores and medals to win.

The alien twins dance to the music as you attempt to identify the correct match.

My goal was to make a game that would have appeal to more than just teenage boys flash audience--I wanted women and children to enjoy the game as well--hoping that each would be able to take something different away from it. So far feedback from all demographics has been really good!

The artwork in the game was inspired by this fake Famicase game cover by artist Kayo Tamura.

I kept a complete development diary for the game here in the competition thread.

After the competition was finished I put my game up over at Flash Game License to find a primary sponsorship.

I was pleased to secure a nice sponsorship from Spil Games for their Family Portal Group. I handed a massive translation file over to them and they had my game localized into 13 different languages for distribution across their 50 or so arcade portals worldwide.  The exposure potential is huge to say the least.  The game has already received almost 200K 500K views since it started being published by them on Oct 7th. VIEW PUBLIC VIEW STATS HERE

You can also play the game at Newgrounds or over on Kongregate if you would like leaderboards and achievments.

All told I'm quite pleased with the game.  I decided to take a genre I didn't really like (find the match) and make a game that tried to explore it the best I could given the 1 month competition time limit.  I am also very thankful that I was then able to successfully monetize the game as well which is critical to my small game studio.  Besides the primary sponsorship I have already begun lining up secondary non-exclusive licenses which is quite exciting to see so much interest so soon.

Give For The Twin a play and I'd love to hear any feedback--thanks so much!
« Last Edit: October 13, 2010, 01:29:40 PM by HybridMind » Logged

OneMoreGo
Level 3

Stop looking at my chest

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2010, 03:44:09 PM »

I like it.  Coffee It was more interesting than I expected but I'm not such a fan of puzzles, i'm not sure i'd bother trying to beat my first score.

One thing I found interesting was that you could defocus on the goal's details and try and recognise the movement to match them up, for some that was easier than looking at specific details.
HybridMind
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2010, 12:05:24 PM »

I like it.  Coffee It was more interesting than I expected but I'm not such a fan of puzzles, i'm not sure i'd bother trying to beat my first score.

One thing I found interesting was that you could defocus on the goal's details and try and recognise the movement to match them up, for some that was easier than looking at specific details.

Yeah there are a lot of fun tricks you can try to make seeing the matches easier.  Thanks for trying it out and leaving your thoughts--I appreciate it!

The game is now also playable over on Kongregate with various leaderboard achievements over there!

deathtotheweird
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2010, 01:21:01 PM »

I always like how you do the presentation for some of your games lately. With their own domain name and page, looks very cool and professional.

The music and cute characters make this a fun game. Adding the movement of the characters was definitely a cool addition to the find the match gameplay (I haven't played many so I dunno if thats a standard thing or not?).
HybridMind
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2010, 05:30:26 AM »

I always like how you do the presentation for some of your games lately. With their own domain name and page, looks very cool and professional.

The music and cute characters make this a fun game. Adding the movement of the characters was definitely a cool addition to the find the match gameplay (I haven't played many so I dunno if thats a standard thing or not?).

Thanks! Picking unique game names that also have domains available has been a fun experiment for me.  I too enjoy the chance to build the simple presentation website around the game and like the level of polish it can provide.

Glad you liked the music and characters--I definitely put a lot of time into those aspects as well as trying to figure out fun things to try with a genre that I normally find pretty bland and boring.  I'm not sure if movement is standard thing or not in the genre--I hadn't seen it but yet again I did not perform an exhaustive analysis or anything... :D  Mainly I just thought of things I'd think might be fun and tried them out.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic