Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411578 Posts in 69386 Topics- by 58445 Members - Latest Member: Mansreign

May 05, 2024, 12:00:26 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallContrasaurus: Defender of the American Dream
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Contrasaurus: Defender of the American Dream  (Read 1560 times)
Daniel X Moore
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« on: October 11, 2010, 10:08:37 AM »

Contrasaurus: Defender of the American Dream

Plot
You are a dinosaur. The year is 3,700 B.C. You are summoned into the future to save America from the dark Communist forces that are amassing in Nicaragua. After you complete your mission and become the most decorated top-secret military dinosaur in history, you discover a terrible truth. Finally you seek out those whom you depend on most, only to have them confirm your darkest suspicions.

Requirements
Contrasaurus is an HTML5 based browser game. Chrome is highly recommended. The game "works" in Firefox but has been know to get pretty laggy. In Chrome, on a good machine, there is nearly no lag.

Gameplay
Fight your way through six action packed levels with beautiful parallax backgrounds. Engage in five epic boss battles culminating in a final conflict so legendary it will blow your mind.

I hope you enjoy! Please comment with any thoughts, feedback, or criticisms!
necromian
Level 2

ʘ_ʘ

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2010, 12:56:50 PM »

I had really high hopes for this game judging by the screenshots, so my criticism might be a little harsh.

That said, the premise and graphics look decently awesome. And judging by the name of the game, I was expecting some sort of frenzied action packed run and gun where you played a decked out dinosaur fighting terrorists.

Unfortunately what I found was a music-less game featuring (very few) stock sounds (did you really have to use the chomping sound for the machine gun?), slow movement (some levels took FOREVER), droll gameplay (no variation, very boring), and little polish (because of all of the above). Once again, my harsh criticism might just be a result of my extraordinarily high expectations for this game.

Really, I feel like the great graphics were put to a big waste in this game. The gameplay literally consists of the character holding down the left mouse button and holding the right key. Once you get the jetpack you pretty much can't die. The level design is non-existant, as every level (that I've played so far) is just a flat surface with enemies being constantly spawned on it. Overall, I think that you need to work on this game a lot. Currently, I'd say that it's too boring, and few people will play it past the third level, which is a shame because you clearly put a lot of work into the graphics.
Daniel X Moore
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2010, 01:36:47 PM »

I had really high hopes for this game judging by the screenshots, so my criticism might be a little harsh.

That said, the premise and graphics look decently awesome. And judging by the name of the game, I was expecting some sort of frenzied action packed run and gun where you played a decked out dinosaur fighting terrorists.

Unfortunately what I found was a music-less game featuring (very few) stock sounds (did you really have to use the chomping sound for the machine gun?), slow movement (some levels took FOREVER), droll gameplay (no variation, very boring), and little polish (because of all of the above). Once again, my harsh criticism might just be a result of my extraordinarily high expectations for this game.

Really, I feel like the great graphics were put to a big waste in this game. The gameplay literally consists of the character holding down the left mouse button and holding the right key. Once you get the jetpack you pretty much can't die. The level design is non-existant, as every level (that I've played so far) is just a flat surface with enemies being constantly spawned on it. Overall, I think that you need to work on this game a lot. Currently, I'd say that it's too boring, and few people will play it past the third level, which is a shame because you clearly put a lot of work into the graphics.

Hi necromian, thanks for your honest feedback. The gameplay experience is very linear and I agree that that is one of the biggest weaknesses of the game.

If you can, let me know what browser you tried the game in. Firefox has been known to be a bit laggy, and I haven't converted many of the sounds to be compatible yet. If you get a chance can you try it in Chrome and see if the experience improves?

Thanks again for the honest feedback, your detailed response gives me a lot of good information on what parts are most critical to improve.
necromian
Level 2

ʘ_ʘ

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2010, 01:51:59 PM »

I was trying it in firefox, but my computer is relatively modern so I experienced no lag. I think a big asset to this game would be music. As it is, nothing is really driving the player to play the game, and it feels very empty. Surely, music would fill some of that void. Also, clearer objectives for each level would help out, rather than just saying "eat" or "destroy". Maybe you should make it so that once you get a certain score then the boss of each level would appear, so the objective would be "get X points"
Daniel X Moore
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2010, 11:35:45 AM »

I fixed that Firefox sound bug that caused the machine gun to make the chomping sound. I also converted the background audio to a format that works with FF too. It should be much more playable, at least sound wise. The framerate is still pretty bad in FF so if you can try in Chrome.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic