Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411579 Posts in 69386 Topics- by 58445 Members - Latest Member: Mansreign

May 05, 2024, 03:39:03 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsElementimals 2 - HTML5 Card Game
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Elementimals 2 - HTML5 Card Game  (Read 1875 times)
DanFornace
Level 1

danfornace.com

View Profile WWW
« on: February 25, 2013, 04:40:07 PM »

Hey TIGSource. It has been a while since I posted here, but I have started posting updates for Elementimals 2 at my Personal Website and I thought it would be good to cross post my posts here to share my thought process and get some feedback on my designs.

Elementimals 2 (Probably going to just be called Elementimals) is a reboot of an HTML5 Game I made during a University class in 2011. The gameplay is basically Triple Triad from Final Fantasy VIII with a stronger focus on Elements. The old Feedback thread can be found here.

With Elementimals 2, I hope to expand the game into a free-to-play mobile game that focuses around collecting cards using in-game, or purchased currency. By pushing the elemental cards further and creating new element powers, I hope to create a simple deck-building game out of Elementimals that is like Magic the Gathering but much easier to get into and has much shorter matches.

I also hope to use Node.js to make the game multiplayer and user name persistent. (I have not started incorporating Node.js as I am doing all my work in straight HTML and Javascript right now). You'll see in the build currently that most menus do not work, I am simply setting them up with some of the features I may want. Only really campaign and endless game modes are functional.

Above, you can see some early screenshots. You can also test the game out on your PC or iPhone at Elementimals.com

Currently, the game is lacking many features, like usernames, multiplayer, and most of the menus, but Campaign and Endless Mode are working.

Let me know what you think. I will also update his main post as the game progresses.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2013, 02:08:43 PM by DanFornace » Logged
DanFornace
Level 1

danfornace.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2013, 02:33:54 PM »

Cross Post of Development Update 1 from Danfornace.com:

Hey guys. Working on Elementimals 2, I knew that I wanted to add more purpose and strategy to the Elements that each card has. So far, I have done this in two ways.

The first way has been in the test build for a few weeks now. Just like in the first game, each game board has four elements slot on it, one for each element in the game – Air, Earth, Fire and Water. These slots are placed randomly on the empty board at the beginning of each game. When placing a card, if you match the element slots, for example a Green Card onto an Earth Slot, then all the numbers on the card get +1. If you place a card on the wrong slot, for example, a Blue Card onto an Earth Slot, then all the numbers get -1.

The new addition to Elementimals 2 are Triple Element Slots, which were suggested by one of my colleagues. Triple Element Slots are exactly what they sound like, slots that have triple the power. When placing a card onto a Triple Element slot all its numbers either increase or decrease by 3 instead of 1. In standard play, there will be 3 Element Slots and 1 Triple Element Slot. The position and power of the slots is different each game.

The next addition that I want to add to the game to increase the purpose of the Elements is that some Cards would have special Card Powers. Right now I have a couple ideas for Card Powers, and all of them revolve around Elements. The first power was the most obvious to me. It is the ‘Pool Power’.

The ‘Pool Power’ is represented by an icon of the type of power that (Air, Earth, Fire or Water). When a card is placed, the Pool Power activates – all the numbers on the card increase by 1 for each card in play of the ‘Pool Power’ Element. In the below example, there were four earth cards in play so all of the Earth Scorpion’s numbers increased by 4.

Currently Pool Powers can only be found on cards with a matching element, but as the game develops I will play around with how that works. Imagine for all cards that have a Pool Power, you could get a card with any of the four element powers. What is more useful for a fire deck – a fire card with a fire power or a water card with a fire power? The answer may seem simple, but remember there will always be at least a single Water Slot on every element board.

Card Powers will end up costing extra deck resources when building them. Currently the Pool Power increases a card’s deck points by 2. In other words, a 2-2-2-2 card with a Pool Power costs the same in your deck as a 4-4-4-4 card. If this is not balanced enough, then I will play with limiting powers or making them cost more.

As the game develops, a fire deck may look something like the above screenshot. If the player waits to play their two fire cards then the first will get at least +3 on all numbers and the second will get at least +4.

You can check out Card Powers in Endless Mode right now at Elementimals.com. I plan on tackling another power this week, which relates to elements but unlike the Card Power is stronger early into a match rather than late into a match. I will keep you guys posted.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2013, 02:09:03 PM by DanFornace » Logged
eobet
Level 4

8-bit childhood

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2013, 02:45:43 AM »

I enjoyed your original because I enjoyed Triple Triad and your pixel art style.

The HTML5 stuff if fascinating, but do you have any plans for packaging it as native iOS or Android apps this time around?

Word of advice on readability:

I would strongly consider reserving black outlines for the cards only and their numbers. I would convert the card art outlines to very dark colors of the palette and make the elements in a more "relief" style to make them blend better as well (right now, everything with black borders compete for your eyes and the elements squares look occupied).

« Last Edit: February 27, 2013, 10:27:01 AM by eobet » Logged

fylth
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2013, 11:55:41 AM »

I must say this looks really interesting, and I agree that the readability could be increased a little bit.
Could you give those of us who have never played Triple Triad a quick run-down of the rules, as the in-game help is currently unimplemented
DanFornace
Level 1

danfornace.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2013, 10:35:34 AM »

@eobet
Thanks for checking out this one and the last one. Yeah the idea is for it to be native eventually using Phonegap. It will probably just connect to my own server though and require internet (since so much will be multiplayer focused, I can't check for cheating otherwise).

As far as readability. I agree with you on many of your points. I think the element slots is the first that needs to change and I will update those very soon. I think the card backs could also benefit from being updated like you have as well. I am not so sure I want the border to have a soft line as it would look quite strange on blue cards and possibily fade into the characters.

I have thought about getting rid of the black in all the characters and one of my friends even started doing so. It would make the numbers read much more clearly if we did so. I just am not completely sold on it from an aesthetics point of view yet. I like how the black unifies the design, but I agree I need to do some work to stop everything from looking so flat.

@fylth:
Yeah the help and options menu probably will not be working for a while. In the final game, I want to have an interactive tutorial that is easy and fun with hardly any text. But in the meantime, here is the How to Play text copied over from the original:

Also I have updated the website to have support for dragging and dropping cards. It is not 100% polished but it was working for me on both iPhone and my chrome browser.

-Dan
« Last Edit: July 05, 2013, 02:09:31 PM by DanFornace » Logged
fylth
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2013, 12:49:40 PM »

I'm experiencing a slight bug where a card will sometime be displayed behind the board, and by releasing the mouse click they become inaccessible, meaning neither me or the AI can take a move.

All in all though I'm finding it a very interesting little game, would love to see it more fleshed out.
Mef
Level 0

8 bit massacre!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2013, 12:58:34 PM »

Suspiciously Shellder like at the bottom-left.

Ninja

"Stand rigid for the next battle
Peace means reloading your guns
The love for life is all hatred in disguise
A carnival creation with masks undone"
DanFornace
Level 1

danfornace.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2013, 12:08:48 PM »

I enjoyed your original because I enjoyed Triple Triad and your pixel art style.

The HTML5 stuff if fascinating, but do you have any plans for packaging it as native iOS or Android apps this time around?

Word of advice on readability:

I would strongly consider reserving black outlines for the cards only and their numbers. I would convert the card art outlines to very dark colors of the palette and make the elements in a more "relief" style to make them blend better as well (right now, everything with black borders compete for your eyes and the elements squares look occupied).

So I had thought about this alot, and I am really attached / used to using black in my pixel art. However due to the size I am going for, the black cartoony style was not being conveyed how I would like anyway. I have decided to take your advice. Not all the card outlines are as nice as they should be yet, but here is a screenshot of the game currently at www.elementimals.com/

I think i am going to restrict black to Buttons, Card Borders, Floating Text and the game's border (which makes more sense in windowed mode).

@fylth:
Interesting bug, I have not seen it yet, but I imagine it happens when drag and dropping cards. I will look into reproducing it. Personally I prefer to click a card and then click again to play it.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic