Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411613 Posts in 69390 Topics- by 58447 Members - Latest Member: sinsofsven

May 09, 2024, 06:19:56 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperBusinessI have this idea for a "good" DRM
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Print
Author Topic: I have this idea for a "good" DRM  (Read 5004 times)
ink.inc
« Reply #40 on: June 13, 2012, 08:38:51 AM »

I haven't been on this site for very long, so I don't know much about it yet, but does it have a "forum quote of the week/month" section?
Because I nominate this
He was just paraphrasing an old RinkuHero quote.

who in turn was paraphrasing carl sagan
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: June 13, 2012, 08:41:23 AM »

so basically, if you would pirate even if you were a millionaire, and if you care more about sharing pirated material with others than finding pirated material for yourself, then you are closer to a "philosophical pirate". if you would not and do not, you are closer to a "greedy pirate"
Yeah, that's dumb. You're ignoring the potential economic disutility of the potential chance of being busted multiplied by those millions.

when was the last time you saw a millionaire being arrested for *anything*? i mean, you live in china, you have to know that the rich are much less likely, not more likely, to be arrested for piracy

Dacke
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 13, 2012, 09:40:43 AM »

I haven't been on this site for very long, so I don't know much about it yet, but does it have a "forum quote of the week/month" section?
Because I nominate this
He was just paraphrasing an old RinkuHero quote.

who in turn was paraphrasing carl sagan
who in turn was paraphrasing an eternal truth inherent to the universe

programming • free software
animal liberation • veganism
anarcho-communism • intersectionality • feminism
s_l_m
Level 8

Open to collabs

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 13, 2012, 06:00:24 PM »

so basically, if you would pirate even if you were a millionaire, and if you care more about sharing pirated material with others than finding pirated material for yourself, then you are closer to a "philosophical pirate". if you would not and do not, you are closer to a "greedy pirate"
Yeah, that's dumb. You're ignoring the potential economic disutility of the potential chance of being busted multiplied by those millions.

when was the last time you saw a millionaire being arrested for *anything*? i mean, you live in china, you have to know that the rich are much less likely, not more likely, to be arrested for piracy

Last time I saw a millionaire arrested for piracy? Kim Dotcom... A few months ago...
I generally agree that the rich get some breaks, but it's not like it never happens

Think happy thoughts.
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: June 13, 2012, 06:58:33 PM »

ya but he was arrested for running a software piracy site, specifically for paying people to share copyrighted files on his file site, and making money from ads on a site that was used almost purely for piracy, without making an effort to remove those files on request, not merely for pirating. he made his millions through encouraging piracy, which is what ticked some other people off. if he were just some millionaire who pirated games and movies for his own personal use, he'd likely never have been arrested
« Last Edit: June 13, 2012, 08:18:26 PM by Paul Eres » Logged

s_l_m
Level 8

Open to collabs

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: June 13, 2012, 07:41:53 PM »

I feel like a lot of piracy cases are less about loss recovery and more about making an example. So I guess it does make sense that they would target the average person instead of somebody who can afford to be sued. Not to say that it is right but that is what they do.

Think happy thoughts.
Radix
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: June 14, 2012, 01:56:10 AM »

It'd be a lawsuit, not an arrest. And that happens all the time.
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: June 14, 2012, 02:02:22 AM »

the only cases i'm familiar with it happening are cases were businesses (as a whole) use pirated software rather than buying real licenses -- i'm not familiar with it happening wealthy people who pirate for personal use? do you have any examples?

Radix
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: June 14, 2012, 03:50:06 AM »

This is tangential and irrelevant.
s_l_m
Level 8

Open to collabs

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 14, 2012, 12:11:08 PM »

To be fair, if they really are targeting normal pirates (that is, they have somebody who goes on the net, finds somebody who is pirating their product, then they find out who it is and sue him). The chances of it being a millionaire is very small due to simple statistics, there are way less millionaires than middle class people.

Think happy thoughts.
poe
« Reply #50 on: June 14, 2012, 12:52:07 PM »

Also a millionaire would have enough money to keep the story hush.
Radix
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: June 14, 2012, 05:59:42 PM »

The chances of it being a millionaire is very small due to simple statistics, there are way less millionaires than middle class people.
The chance of it being anybody in particular is extremely low. That's why expected outcomes are weighted, like I said in the first place (it was the point).

To put it another way, if you're playing a game where there is a small constant reward for playing, but a very small chance of getting a penalty which scales with your wealth, then it becomes a worse decision to play the richer you are to start with.

Remember I'm only disagreeing with Paul's statement that "philosophical pirates" who are millionaires should categorically participate in piracy.
moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: June 14, 2012, 07:15:04 PM »

Let's suppose that you are a billionnaire, and then you decide to go on and create the most perfect DRM ever.
First you kidnap paul Eres, manipulatehis genes to make him more resistant and live longer. Then you send him to mars on a base specially built with a one-way pressure door that can only be entered, nothing can theorically get out of it.

Let's suppose that there are enough ressources inside for thousands of people for many decades thanks to a complex recycling system.
Now paul Eres starts working on his game, remember he works slowly, but it's not a problem.
The whole base is like a cylinder that slowly fills with water. After 50 years, everybody will be drowned inside.
Then you start abducting young gamers all over the world and send them to mars inside the base. Remember you are a billionnaire and have some sort of monopoly on mars expeditions. And there is absolutely no other way of communication in and out of eres-hell-1.
Paul eres starts releasing periodically alpha and beta builds of his game and the gamers start playing inside the base.
Well, I'll cut on the additional details but I think we could make this THE perfect DRM.
Contact me if you want more informations.

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: June 14, 2012, 08:09:54 PM »

your super joe impersonation needs polish

moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #54 on: June 14, 2012, 09:08:28 PM »

that was not a superjoe impersonation, unless that's a joke you're doing?

ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55 on: June 14, 2012, 09:11:29 PM »

i need to work on my paul eres doing a joke impersonation

moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #56 on: June 14, 2012, 09:15:40 PM »

okay, this was actually a good one Hand Clap

s_l_m
Level 8

Open to collabs

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: June 14, 2012, 10:35:43 PM »

Yeah, I actually just laughed out loud.
There is a saying that the only secure system is underground, with no internet/connection to the world, surrounded by armed guards, and is off. It's kind of the same way with DRM, I don't think there is a way to make a "perfect" DRM, as long as a DRM system has some way to let a valid consumer play the game, there is a way for somebody who doesn't own it to play the game. All that more advanced DRM does is piss of consumers, Because the people who are going to steal games don't seem to have problems bypassing the security measures.

Think happy thoughts.
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #58 on: June 14, 2012, 10:53:54 PM »

All that more advanced DRM does is piss of consumers

with the exception of steam

Klaim
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #59 on: June 14, 2012, 11:21:54 PM »

I guess if Steam was only a DRM, there would be no other feature to annoyance the pain.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic