Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411613 Posts in 69390 Topics- by 58447 Members - Latest Member: sinsofsven

May 10, 2024, 01:06:09 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperBusiness"Polite" DRMs
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: "Polite" DRMs  (Read 3303 times)
Evan Balster
Level 10

I live in this head.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: June 27, 2012, 12:09:43 PM »

Bear my ignorance for just a little longer, sage.  Smiley

I throw money to a busker in San Fransisco.  I do not expect I will ever hear his music again, as I'll return home soon.  Why might I do this?  If you say "the social contract" again, you undermine your entire argument by providing a counteracting force to this "disillusionment"; a sustenance that prevents neanderthals like me (and the airport waiter who rarely sees the same customer twice) from going extinct.

In a society of machines, your arguments might hold.  But ours is a society of people, the vast majority of whom don't even know what a "bit" is.  Even if that comes to change, our nature will not.

Creativity births expression.  Curiosity births exploration.
Our work is as soil to these seeds; our art is what grows from them...

Wreath, SoundSelf, Infinite Blank, Cave Story+, <plaid/audio>
RudyTheDev
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: June 27, 2012, 12:20:05 PM »

But ours is a society of people, the vast majority of whom don't even know what a "bit" is.

Asked my mate what a "bit" is and he said "it's the past form of byte." At first I didn't quite get it. Durr...?

Klaim
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: June 27, 2012, 09:27:38 PM »

There is an observation that have been done in the human psychology fields that says that we get more long-term pleasure when we give than when we get.

I think it is part of the thing we are discussing here. The polite drm would be more like a social link maker. Like, "hey, I'm a real human, me and my friends made this. want to chat about it? by the way, if you liked it maybe you want to reward us or help us make another game? no obligation though. that's cool that you enjoyed the game so far :D"

Communication between human beings is a powerful stuff. Not like when you get corporate emails asking you money.

Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic